Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears fire Head Coach Lovie Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the question is, what is the future of Jay Cutler? He's often times played below average and seems to make the same dumb mistakes that plagued him in 2007. And he just looked bad down the stretch, particularly in the second Greenbay game where he made some throws I didn't think a QB would be dumb or bad enough to make. So going onto 30 years old with just no progress in his game seemingly, how short might his leash be with a new head coach? If Cutler struggles again this season, is it too out there to think Chicago would need to go ahead and draft a QB in 2014?

Last edited by iknowcool on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
adamq

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very stupid, stupid move. Give him a somewhat decent offensive line and this team would have looked much different in the second half of the year.. Some team is going to be very happy to have Lovie as their HC

-kiltman
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the most surprising firing for me.

Nacho Simulation Football League
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Mike McCarthy just got 1 more win against the Bears this season, his inability to challenge a bad call in the 2nd quarter just cost Lovie Smith his job.

Completely off base. Since their Super Bowl appearance, Lovie Smith was 52-44 with only an NFC Championship to show for it in 2010. He was an average coach who underachieved with the Bears.
I think most fans would agree he overachieved best on the talent on the team.

Seriously. That Bears team was a contender year in and year out despite always having a questionable offense...and Lovie wasn't the guy to blame for the offense.

A contender every year?

They made the playoffs 1 time in the last 6 years.

They made the playoffs 3 times in 9 years.

To contend you need to make the playoffs.

A playoff contender? Yea. He had them at 10-6 this year and they narrowly missed the playoffs. Would have made the playoffs last year if it weren't for the Cutler injury.

From 2005 to 2012, there were only two years(07 and 09) when they weren't in the playoff hunt.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Mike McCarthy just got 1 more win against the Bears this season, his inability to challenge a bad call in the 2nd quarter just cost Lovie Smith his job.

Completely off base. Since their Super Bowl appearance, Lovie Smith was 52-44 with only an NFC Championship to show for it in 2010. He was an average coach who underachieved with the Bears.

Seriously. That Bears team was a contender year in and year out despite always having a questionable offense...and Lovie wasn't the guy to blame for the offense.

A contender every year?

A playoff contender? Yea. He had them at 10-6 this year and they narrowly missed the playoffs. Would have made the playoffs last year if it weren't for the Cutler injury.

From 2005 to 2012, there were only two years(07 and 09) when they weren't in the playoff hunt.

Would you rather have Lovie or Jeff Fisher?

Lovie is a great DC but he has never given a crap about the offence and it cost him.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamq wrote:
Very stupid, stupid move. Give him a somewhat decent offensive line and this team would have looked much different in the second half of the year.. Some team is going to be very happy to have Lovie as their HC

After 9 years the Bears just needed a change.

Lovie is a good coach and will turn some terrible team into a plaid well run franchise.

But the Bears were not going to win the Superbowl with him.
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This firing was the most surprising to me, though not completely surprising. I think he is a pretty good coach, but I think Chicago might be looking for new blood at the position.
MLB: New York Yankees
College Basketball: NC State Wolfpack
Soccer: FC Bayern Munich
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Now the question is, what is the future of Jay Cutler? He's often times played below average and seems to make the same dumb mistakes that plagued him in 2007. And he just looked bad down the stretch, particularly in the second Greenbay game where he made some throws I didn't think a QB would be dumb or bad enough to make. So going onto 30 years old with just no progress in his game seemingly, how short might his leash be with a new head coach? If Cutler struggles again this season, is it too out there to think Chicago would need to go ahead and draft a QB in 2014?
What throws were those? He was picked off once in the GB game when Devin Hester ran the wrong way on a route. Or are you talking about the spectacular throws he made when he almost brought the Bears back?

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
What throws were those? He was picked off once in the GB game when Devin Hester ran the wrong way on a route. Or are you talking about the spectacular throws he made when he almost brought the Bears back?

The one thing Superman and I agree on is Cutler is not the problem.

The Bears traded for him and promptly ignored him and left him on a talentless offence.

I think Cutler will thrive under a Mike McCoy type.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

A contender every year?

Would you rather have Lovie or Jeff Fisher?

Lovie is a great DC but he has never given a crap about the offence and it cost him.

I'm not sure.

I think both would be great for the Rams. With Lovie, it would have depended on what OC he brought in.

They're similar coaches although I think Fisher is more of a motivator while Lovie's better with Xs and Os(on defense at least).

I'd be happy with either one. Hell, I'd be happy with both.(come back home to be our DC, Lovie!)

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovie Smith will get a job as a head coach, like Jon Fox last year. Smith is a good head coach.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
iknowcool wrote:

Thought he had more than 1 interception that game but alas. And fair enough if the guy ran the wrong route.

But what is hard to deny is that Cutler has not grown much, if at all, as a quarterback in the 7 years he has been in the NFL. That is telling. You can blame it on surrounding cast or whatnot, while I agree he's not in an ideal situation, even with the addition of Brandon Marshall this season he played worse than he did the season before (a season where a lot of people thought he might be turning the corner as seen by the hype he got on this site prior to the year). He still makes some boneheaded plays and at times it seems like the defense was more capable of putting up points than the offense was. And 1 has to think surrounding cast isn't the whole issue with Cutler's struggles considering all the mistakes he still makes are mistakes he made in Denver with Shanny at coach, one of the best pass blocking offensive lines, and a nice receiving core with Marshall, Royal, and Sheffler.

I don't think he is the main issue with Chicago by the way. All I'm wondering is if a new head coach comes in, Cutler is as inconsistent as he has been for years once again, how short is his leash and it would be that out there to think a new head coach could potentially want a new QB in 2014 (assuming Cutler doesn't improve)?
brownie man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he comes to the Browns Embarassed
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brownie man wrote:
I hope he comes to the Browns Embarassed

He would raise them from the sewer and make them far more competitive.

Where Lovie ends up depends on what team are looking for. If you need a culture change hire Lovie. If you need someone who is going to make a good team great look somewhere else.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
(come back home to be our DC, Lovie!)

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: