Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets officially fire GM Mike Tannenbaum; Keep HC Rex Ryan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
I think Rex is a good coach, but it makes no sense to keep him as coach while firing the GM.

Its happened with other teams before and will happen again. It makes sense when you believe that coaching isn't your problem and that your GM isn't getting his job done with providing the depth and talent needed to win.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
chris00cm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an ugly situation for a new GM. Inherit some ugly contracts and the worst roster in football. The Jets really need someone that is committed to rebuilding the entire team, not just some schotty patch work.

One thing going for the Jets is that they have a heck of a head coach that can make any defense good. Just gotta give him some help.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
ukjets21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
What an ugly situation for a new GM. Inherit some ugly contracts and the worst roster in football. The Jets really need someone that is committed to rebuilding the entire team, not just some schotty patch work.

One thing going for the Jets is that they have a heck of a head coach that can make any defense good. Just gotta give him some help.

The last point saves you but we aren't the worst roster in football.

Our needs:

QB - Big time, if this was sorted we'd be a borderline playoff team in the AFC.
OL - It needs at most 2 pieces (RG, RT)
RB - Might be helped by the above two, and we could draft one late and be fine

WR/TE - Depending on what happens with upcoming free agents

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukjets21 wrote:
chris00cm wrote:

Our needs:

Shonn Greene and Santonio Holmes are not the answer. Dustin Keller will likely hit free agency. Basically the entire offense is relying on Jeremy Kerley and Stephen Hill to make plays? Ouch. Jets have a solid offensive line with D'Brick and Nick Mangold, but I've heard Brandon Moore's play has suffered. Not sure if that's true.

On defense, there are no pass rushers. Calvin Pace is a bust. Coples is still raw. Bart Scott is terrible. If it wasn't for Muhammed Wilkerson and the Rex Ryan scheme, that defense would be hurting. Sione Pouha, David Harris, Antonio Cromartie, and Darrelle Revis are good players, but Kyle Wilson is turning into a bust and the safeties leave a lot to be desired.

I don't know, I just don't see a good team here. It is close between the Jets, Jags, and Raiders to me for the worst roster in the league.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
green24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
ukjets21 wrote:
chris00cm wrote:

Our needs:

Shonn Greene and Santonio Holmes are not the answer. Dustin Keller will likely hit free agency. Basically the entire offense is relying on Jeremy Kerley and Stephen Hill to make plays? Ouch. Jets have a solid offensive line with D'Brick and Nick Mangold, but I've heard Brandon Moore's play has suffered. Not sure if that's true.

On defense, there are no pass rushers. Calvin Pace is a bust. Coples is still raw. Bart Scott is terrible. If it wasn't for Muhammed Wilkerson and the Rex Ryan scheme, that defense would be hurting. Sione Pouha, David Harris, Antonio Cromartie, and Darrelle Revis are good players, but Kyle Wilson is turning into a bust and the safeties leave a lot to be desired.

I don't know, I just don't see a good team here. It is close between the Jets, Jags, and Raiders to me for the worst roster in the league.

Keller might be franchised. Moore has declined. Coples is not still raw. He is really turning into a great player. Pouha had a very poor season. Both safeties had very good seasons.

Even the team as you described it is not the worst in the NFL this season. No way teams like the Jags and Raiders are more talented than this team.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
ukjets21 wrote:
chris00cm wrote:

Our needs:

I wouldn't say the worst roster. Worst offensive roster? Yes.

But they still have a very talented defense. Coples and Wilkerson are very talented 5Ts. Harris is a good player. And they have 2 great CBs. And an ok one in Wilson.

I'm not that big on Bell or Landry even though Landry has had a strong year but they have good pieces.

I personally would take them over Oakland.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
ukjets21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:

Greene will be replaced, Holmes (when motivated) is a good WR, Braylon showed signs of being the old Braylon, but I'm confident between Braylon, Hill and Kerley there's some capable WR play there.

Keller can be franchised for $5m roughly. Moore has deteriorated to the extent that he needs replaced this off-season. Slauson is passable and Howard is also fine though I'm not counting on him at RT.

You're doing our defence a huge disservice, Coples and Wilkerson are great at DE, Pouha is declining but there's Kenrick Ellis to replace him, Ellis just can't play every down. Pace is done now, Harris is a very good ILB, Davis is ready to take over from Scott. Revis and Cro are far more than good, everyone laughed when Cro said he was the second best but he isn't far off it. Wilson is fine no matter what some of us say, we're just spoiled at CB. Landry and Bell had good years. We're a pass rusher away from a truly elite defence.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukjets21 wrote:
chris00cm wrote:

Our needs:

Our defense needs some work as well, our run defense won't improve unless we rebuild the LBs that were ignored. They got old fast and it was a huge problem in their ability to stop the run. Pace, Scott, and Thomas are all goners. Then you have Landry and Bell both as FAs.

Offensively, if you can get decent QB things won't be as bad. Though that isn't the only problem, getting a good offensive mind to run the offense would be nice.

The Jets needed a new GM who is a football guy, not a glorified accountant. So far them looking at Tom Gamble and Marc Ross shows that is what they are trying to do, hire someone who knows how to identify talent.

Not everyone thinks the Jets job is job they wouldn't want to take, first off there isn't many openings to become a GM in this league so if you want to be one and are offered the position of taking control of a team, why not? yeah 2013 isn't looking good, but after that they will be out of most of the bad contracts. If you can't work with Rex, then you can probably fire him in a year anyways and find your own guy, but maybe you believe you have one of the better defensive minds in the game and he isn't so bad of a coach.

ukjets21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need an OLB who is a great pass rusher. We'll be fine elsewhere even if it means keeping Thomas for another year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/caplannfl

Quote:
@caplannfl
Gamble is from Philly area. People close to him think that would be a good fit. RT @ozmanyyy: @caplannfl Thoughts on who becomes Jets GM?

green24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
https://twitter.com/caplannfl

Quote:
@caplannfl
Gamble is from Philly area. People close to him think that would be a good fit. RT @ozmanyyy: @caplannfl Thoughts on who becomes Jets GM?

Pray That would be AMAZING.
RaiderFanSD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the new GM won't even get to pick his HC? Reminds me of how Al would never let his HC's choose their own staff.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderFanSD wrote:
So the new GM won't even get to pick his HC? Reminds me of how Al would never let his HC's choose their own staff.

This has happened so many times in the NFL, but because its the Jets people make a big deal out of it...

ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
RaiderFanSD wrote:

This has happened so many times in the NFL, but because its the Jets people make a big deal out of it...

And honestly - Rex has done as much as he could. That defense isn't the worst, and the GM has failed to stock the offensive side of the ball.

Rex did his job(coaching wise), and they fired the right guy. Now Rex has to get control of his team and let the GM stock the offensive side of the ball.

Sig brought to you by Justo
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a smart move to keep Rex around at least one more year. Needed to get rid of Tannebaum though.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: