Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets officially fire GM Mike Tannenbaum; Keep HC Rex Ryan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ukjets21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
I don't think anyone can say Rex Ryan isn't a good coach, most people can agree he's just not a great fit as a head coach, he just doesn't have the right mentality for the job. I think what you have to look for is a Tomlin, McCarthy or Mike Smith kind of personality who commands respect and can run a locker room.

Rex has improved in things such as game management every year, his problems have been in trying to be a HC to the detriment of managing the defence personally. You don't need to be like Tomlin to command respect, Rex still has the players playing for him, he's handled troublesome characters very well. Lazy players like Cromartie play their hearts out for him, Cro doesn't shy from contact, he goes all in for tackles now. That's on Rex.

tylerdouglass wrote:
But since then, the Jets have been a circus act at times.

We were back then too, it's his style and it worked for us. It hasn't worked as well the past two years but his success earns him time for me. We'd be a stupid joke of an organisation to get rid of Rex that quickly. I'm proud to be a Jets fan now, that despite all the stupidity Woody showed in bringing in Tebow and the Favre circus before Rex too, the organisation didn't get rid of its best head coach for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
I think keeping Rex was a mistake.

I agree. If I'm a GM candidate, my response is no thank you. I'm not getting involved with that mess unless I get my HC candidate.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

I agree. If I'm a GM candidate, my response is no thank you. I'm not getting involved with that mess unless I get my HC candidate.

Agree 100%

The Jets will end up having to hire someone with no experience that's really desperate for a GM job. Why would anyone with any other options take the job? You don't get your own HC, you have to deal with the Tebow fiasco, the quarterback situation is a mess... What's the upside?
Malik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB Connoisseur wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

Agree 100%

The Jets will end up having to hire someone with no experience that's really desperate for a GM job. Why would anyone with any other options take the job? You don't get your own HC, you have to deal with the Tebow fiasco, the quarterback situation is a mess... What's the upside?

Tebow isn't going to be on the team and no one is going to argue for Sanchez being the starter if he is still on the team next season.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

Agree 100%

Tebow isn't going to be on the team and no one is going to argue for Sanchez being the starter if he is still on the team next season.

It really doesn't matter because I just can't see Rex Ryan being an easy guy to work with. And if I'm a new GM, I want to be able to do everything I can to help build the Jets into a Super Bowl contender. If I don't see Rex as the right coach, I need the ability to move on.

And that's just not going to make it a good working relationship. From the get go, you're coming in with the idea that the guy you have to work with isn't the right guy. Doesn't make it easy for either of you to trust or work together which can lead to a power struggle and a lot of tension.

It's a really bad move. If you want a legitimate GM candidate, you need to give him the power to make the moves he thinks are necessary to build the team into a SB contender...including the HC job.

The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree with them holding onto Rex but not for the reason that many on here do (or for what I'm sure are the expectations of Woody Johnson). If Woody would just accept a year of being (and folks don't murder me for the example, but it's fitting because they've been doing this exact sort of purge) "Raiders bad," he could set that franchise up for a clean break and fresh start with a new HC and a competent GM with a staff & FO system already in place.

Very few coaches are going to want to go there when the front office - and thus their personnel - are hamstrung in such a way because of finances. So you hold onto Rex, because if you wanted there's "enough" (I'm not saying it's glaring but a defensible case could be made) grounds to fire him now and barring a miracle there will be this time next year as well, and you start the purge - shed overpaid and underachieving players where and how you can, eat cap hits if you have to, restructure and offer "buy-outs" where you can, all with the aim of having a lot of spots to fill but the necessary resources available to do so in 2014.

Again, I doubt that happens. I don't believe Woody Johnson has the gumption to take a year's shellacking in the NY media, particularly if the Giants bounce back from this season with any kind of fire or consistency.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apparently Bill Polian has said no to the Jets.

Quote:
Former #Bills and #Colts GM Bill Polian was contacted by the #Jets to replace GM Mike Tannenbaum, he turned the #Jets down.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring Rex or Lovey to Stlouis..

Fisher would pimp slamp him if Rex opens that mouth.

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
ukjets21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerica wrote:

Quote:
Former #Bills and #Colts GM Bill Polian was contacted by the #Jets to replace GM Mike Tannenbaum, he turned the #Jets down.

Bill Polian obviously took pity on the Jets and decided against ruining us further.

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerica wrote:

Quote:

One of many I assume.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerica wrote:

Quote:
Seems kind of stupid to just offer the job to someone without really exploring other options.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex is a solid coach IMO and deserved to be kept IMO. It was just two seasons ago that he was coaching them to their 2nd consecutive AFC Title game. Even in the modern football world, that should buy you some time. The talent base has simply eroded around him to the point where the Jets have one of the least talented rosters offense-wise in the league. That's on the GM.
MLB: New York Yankees
College Basketball: NC State Wolfpack
Soccer: FC Bayern Munich
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
I actually agree with them holding onto Rex but not for the reason that many on here do (or for what I'm sure are the expectations of Woody Johnson). If Woody would just accept a year of being (and folks don't murder me for the example, but it's fitting because they've been doing this exact sort of purge) "Raiders bad," he could set that franchise up for a clean break and fresh start with a new HC and a competent GM with a staff & FO system already in place.

Very few coaches are going to want to go there when the front office - and thus their personnel - are hamstrung in such a way because of finances. So you hold onto Rex, because if you wanted there's "enough" (I'm not saying it's glaring but a defensible case could be made) grounds to fire him now and barring a miracle there will be this time next year as well, and you start the purge - shed overpaid and underachieving players where and how you can, eat cap hits if you have to, restructure and offer "buy-outs" where you can, all with the aim of having a lot of spots to fill but the necessary resources available to do so in 2014.

Again, I doubt that happens. I don't believe Woody Johnson has the gumption to take a year's shellacking in the NY media, particularly if the Giants bounce back from this season with any kind of fire or consistency.

But they can do this all now, eat the cap hits next year and be at that point in 2014 instead of having to wait until 2015.

ukjets21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roysmyboy31 wrote:
Rex is a solid coach IMO and deserved to be kept IMO. It was just two seasons ago that he was coaching them to their 2nd consecutive AFC Title game. Even in the modern football world, that should buy you some time. The talent base has simply eroded around him to the point where the Jets have one of the least talented rosters offense-wise in the league. That's on the GM.

Thank you for actually showing some sense concerning the Jets.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rex is a good coach, but it makes no sense to keep him as coach while firing the GM.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: