Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cap headaches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Cap headaches Reply with quote

A good article on the Steeler cap situation:

http://draftmetrics.com/files/Cap%20Headaches.pdf

Quote:
How did the Steelers get into this situation? They have tried to keep their core group together, particularly on defense, in order to contend for championships. There is nothing wrong with this strategy but it eventually catches up to a team in the world of salary caps. The Steelers are one of three teams (the Jets and Raiders are the others) who have at least five players with $10 million 2013cap hits.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Dook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelersDepot says we are $8m over the cap in 2013.

SteelersDepot says we need about $7m to sign CB Keenan Lewis, I think that's too much because he didn't get any interceptions but let's go with that number anyway but lets back load the contract so he gets more per year later rather than in the first years, so the cap hit for year 1 will only be $5m. We need another $8m to sign the rest of our free agents (total of $13.4m if you include Lewis), not including Mendenhall and Wallace.

We also need about $7m to sign our draft picks so that is a total of $28m in space we need to clear.

We do get a $3m rollover credit because we were under the cap by $3m this season and restructuring contracts can clear $20m so we still need to clear another $5m.

Cuts Needed:
OLB Harrison, clears $5.1m

Steelers Free Agents in 2013: total $13.4m
CB Keenan Lewis, deal worth $7m yr, back loaded so the 1st year cap hit will only be $5m
WR Emmanuel Sanders, deal worth $2m yr
OG/OT Ramon Foster, deal worth about $1.5m yr
RB Jonathan Dwyer, deal worth about $1.3m yr
DT Steve McLendon, deal worth about $1.3m yr
RB Isaac Redman, deal worth about $1.3m yr
C/OG Doug Legursky, league minimum, $500k
CB Van Dyke, league minimum, $500k

Cuts Needed To Sign WR Wallace, clears $8.7m:
CB Taylor saves $4.1m
DE Keisel saves $2.8m
WR Cotchery saves $1.5m

Notes:
OG Colon, cut before June 1st 2013 only saves $1.2m. I would cut after June 1st, saves $5.5m that I would then use to sign a free agent.

Bring Back After June 1st
LT Max Starks, bring back after cutting Colon on June 1st, $2.5m for 1 yr
ILB Larry Foote, bring back after cutting Colon on June 1st, $2.5m for 1 yr

Contracts Expired, don't resign:
RB Rashard Mendenhall
NT Casey Hampton
S Ryan Mundy
QB Charlie Batch
QB Byron Leftwich
S Will Allen
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers always face salary cap problems then they manage to get underneath the cap. I'm not too concerned. When it comes to making the tough decisions on who to cut they have made the right ones like last year with Ward and Farrior. Harrison and Keisel could be on the way out and Colon definitely should be. Cotchery can be replaced.

Dook, I see Foster getting more than that and I don't see Starks lasting into June. I do agree that both should be back though along with Foote. I got no problems with the players you don't want to resign with maybe the exception of Will Allen. I still would keep Taylor.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the reigning MVP's sig!
Dook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
The Steelers always face salary cap problems then they manage to get underneath the cap. I'm not too concerned. When it comes to making the tough decisions on who to cut they have made the right ones like last year with Ward and Farrior. Harrison and Keisel could be on the way out and Colon definitely should be. Cotchery can be replaced.

Dook, I see Foster getting more than that and I don't see Starks lasting into June. I do agree that both should be back though along with Foote. I got no problems with the players you don't want to resign with maybe the exception of Will Allen. I still would keep Taylor.

Foster might get more than $1.5m a year, it's tough to tell how much the Steelers like him, they let Urbik go and kept Foster instead but since then they've been trying to replace him (Colon and DeCastro).

Starks is another mystery, he's been playing LT for nearly league minimum pay for two seasons. When he's been available other teams have passed on him. I think the main reason why the team might take a chance on him being available in June is because we have Adams and Gilbert who they think can play LT.

CB Taylor would only be cut if the team signed WR Wallace. If we did cut Taylor I would expect us to use a high pick on a CB in the draft.
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking into the cap situation and I see Polamalu as an anchor around the Steelers at this point. He is 10M in cap hit and not worth being restructured ( because he has 2 years left). I think Harrison is let go. If they sign Lewis they will let Ike go. I would love to see them sign Hampton for 1M per season but I'm not counting on it.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
LTF

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers can free up around $20 million from restructuring Woodley and Timmons and extending Big Ben a couple of extra years.

Likely cuts that I can see are Harrison (frees over $5 million), Keisel, and Colon. Taylor and Polamalu are possible restructures as well.

Those moves alone free up well over $30 million. Khan is God.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't see why we should be cutting Harrison. The cap situation aside, there's nobody there to replace him. He's going into the off season healthy this year, we could possibly get one more really good season out of him before we need to get rid of him.

He's much too important to our D to cut imo, even if his best days are behind him. He can still play. Woodley is having his own problems staying healthy/productive. So if we cut Harrison, we pretty much have no dominant presence on either side.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that the steelers are trying to replace Foster.

We found a right tackle starter in Marcus Gilbert with us paying Willie Colon a good sum of money, it was wise for us to put him to a good use, Left Guard.

David DeCastro was a guard we haven't seen since Alan Faneca (the prospect with elite potential) so it was logical for us to grab him.

We kept Ramon Foster over Trai Essex...

I personally wants to re-sign Ramon Foster but wouldn't want to start him though. I currently prefer the line of Max Starks/other tackle on roster-Maurkice Pouncey-Doug Legursky-David DeCastro-Marcus Gilbert/Mike Adams.

Where Ramon Foster is average, Doug Legursky is a legitmate starting center playing back-up. Many have seen, when both guards' performance aren't adequate, Doug's size get exposed but with Pouncey and DeCastro Legursky match-up better with 3-4 nose tackles and give a line check-up better.

Just my 2 cents, with this potential line, we'd save bucks by letting max starks and willie colon go for good but i'd like Max Starks to come back. Marcus Gilbert seem to be a better suitor for our left tackle even if he may not be that good as max starks but monetarily and value, it makes sense.
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign foster to be RG and move DD to LG where he fits the Steelers best. Adams was a far better RT that Gilbert. If they leave Adams at RT he could be Flozzel Adams good.

I think Harrison is cut then signed at a cheaper price. I would love to see them rework Polamalu by adding 2 more years on his contract. 20M spread over 4 years is not bad.

at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do exactly what Dook said except keep Ike, Keisel, and Cotchery and release Wallace. Then, sign Will Allen and possibly Batch. I'd think about only signing Redman or Dwyer, because it seems running by committee isn't working, and 1 feature back would be better.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Legursky is not a starting caliber offensive lineman. At all. Any OL with him in it is worse than one with him out of it.

Steelers need to simply get the hell away from Colon, Keisel, and possibly Ike, pay Lewis, and that allows us to draft BPA in the 1st and grab a Xavier Rhodes or Jonathan Banks.

and then we might have 2 CBs who can actually catch a football
kysteeler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
Doug Legursky is not a starting caliber offensive lineman. At all. Any OL with him in it is worse than one with him out of it.

Steelers need to simply get the hell away from Colon, Keisel, and possibly Ike, pay Lewis, and that allows us to draft BPA in the 1st and grab a Xavier Rhodes or Jonathan Banks.

If we did let those people go/cut them, I would much rather not pay Lewis, and keep Taylor, while drafting Rhodes or Banks.

Starting Allen and Ike in 2013, then Rhodes/Banks moving in 2014. Curtis Brown will always be a nickel.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kysteeler wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

If we did let those people go/cut them, I would much rather not pay Lewis, and keep Taylor, while drafting Rhodes or Banks.

Starting Allen and Ike in 2013, then Rhodes/Banks moving in 2014. Curtis Brown will always be a nickel.

Let go of a guy who is drastically improving, and keep an aging guy who will likely be gone in a year or two anyway?

For cap reasons, it may work out the way you say, but if I had my choice Id most definitely keep Lewis over Ike. He was better than Ike most of this year and still has upside, while Ike has nowhere to go but down.
rickgle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully we can manage to keep both Taylor and Lewis. If we lose one of them, to me, we need to draft CB with our first pick. Possibly trading up a few spots to get the one we want.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickgle wrote:
Hopefully we can manage to keep both Taylor and Lewis. If we lose one of them, to me, we need to draft CB with our first pick. Possibly trading up a few spots to get the one we want.

In 5 years would we still have 2 CB's to rely upon: Lewis and Allen, yes!! In 5 years will we have a pass-rushing LB and 2 safeties to rely upon? Absolutely not. Would be a dumb move unless we lost them both! Or, if the CB has the versatility to play CB and S!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: