Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defense was balling late in the season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Most pressing defensive need
Defensive Tackle
47%
 47%  [ 11 ]
Corner (x2)
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
Free Safety
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Linebacker
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23

Rolni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
Honestly, if Adams, Ross, Chekwa, and Spencer are our 4 man corps next year I won't vomit profusely about it. I mean I would love to see another very solid player in there rather than Spencer, because who knows when he gets hurt again. And Adams may not have a long career, as it seems he grouped some concussions together there, which is a bad sign. I would also like to see more of Ross at joker and safety, because I think he is better there. But still, our CBs look alot better now than they did earlier in the season because two young guys stepped up and did something adequate. All we need is performers, don't care what their names are.

All in all I have to say it's still a need, but not nearly as dire as it was at one time when Bartell and Spencer first went down.

Don't forget Hanson. He played well at nickel.
I would like to get a new starting CB, hopefully a true#1.
Ross, Adams, Spencer can battle out the #2 spot and give depth too.
Throw in Chekwa too and we have some nice, young depth...
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
We still need a starting CB, but I was pleased with the play (for the most part) of some of the young guys like Ross, Adams and Chekwa down the stretch. We still have ansah on the PS and Hanson for the slot, I think CB will be a good competition in TC.

All of those CBs we had late in the season are fringe NFL guys we got off the scrap heap. We need bona fide starters at that position.

Adams is good depth, I wouldn't call him a fringe player necessarily. They really liked Adams in Seattle he just fell victim to the numbers game. I'm not calling them great players or starters, I said we still need a starting caliber CB, but they did a good job for being in the position they were in and I meant they will be good competition in TC at the very least. (I'm mainly talking about Ross and Adams)

Look at the young players at CB for Seattle. Being cut by them is no indictment of Adams. They have the best starting duo of young guys in the league. Not best overall, just best pair of young ones. For once I believe Adams was truly the victim of a numbers game there. He's not bad.

Raider fans tend to be obsessed with name recognition. I don't care if Adams starts. If he can play like he did this past year for that 3 game stretch when he was the starter, he's a very nice starter. A full year of that is a really good year of solid play. Can he provide a full year at that level, that is the question.

I'm not too stuck on name recognition. if a guy can play he can play. But I like big CB's like the ones n Seattle. And like the ones throughout our history. I would love to trade down and be able to take a guy like Xavier Rhodes from FSU in the 2nd round. 6'2", 215 lb. CB's with that kind of ability and that kind of blazing speed don't grow on trees. Or a kid like David Amerson out of NC State. Ditto on the size and ability.

I was digging Adams before he got hurt. He has some ability. And being waived by Seattle is no death sentence. But what happened in SF? Of new England? Those are two teams that are not great in the secondary. It really doesn't matter much at this point because he is our guy. But it is pretty curious.

I just want to see guys that played at a high level in college come in here and keep that rolling. We need an upgrade in our secondary. One new CB would be great. Two would be even better for depth, competition and quality.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
Rolni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FO should take a long look at 3 CB if they become available.

Sean Smith 6'3 214
Cary Williams 6'1 190
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 6'2 182

I wouldn't break the bank on them, but should keep an eye on them...
holyghost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what happened in SF and NE. But what happened to James Harrison early on, wasn't he cut twice? What happened to Cameron Wake where he ended up in the CFL. Or Kurt Warner in NFL Europe - dude played there and ended up a fringe HOFer? I dunno.. It happens though, it's not like it never happened in the history of the NFL. Teams fail to recognize guys often enough, for whatever reasons whether "political" or related to poor system fit, or the player just doesn't show "it" soon enough. Heck, maybe some guys just don't click until they get on the field on game day and it gives them the onfidence they need. I don't know what the answer there is.

I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth on Adams, if he can keep up what he did as a starter this year, then we will have on our hands what is called an actual find. When's the last time we had a find emerge for us and really perform?
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:

Sean Smith 6'3 214
Cary Williams 6'1 190

Rodgers-Cromartie would be a nice addition at the right price. And I can't see Cary Williams wanting to leave the Ravens if given the oppportunity to re-sign there.

DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
I don't know what happened in SF and NE. But what happened to James Harrison early on, wasn't he cut twice? What happened to Cameron Wake where he ended up in the CFL. Or Kurt Warner in NFL Europe - dude played there and ended up a fringe HOFer? I dunno.. It happens though, it's not like it never happened in the history of the NFL. Teams fail to recognize guys often enough, for whatever reasons whether "political" or related to poor system fit, or the player just doesn't show "it" soon enough. Heck, maybe some guys just don't click until they get on the field on game day and it gives them the onfidence they need. I don't know what the answer there is.

I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth on Adams, if he can keep up what he did as a starter this year, then we will have on our hands what is called an actual find. When's the last time we had a find emerge for us and really perform?

Oh I agree 100% Its a GREAT problem to have when you have to make a decision between several players that are making plays. I'm just curious because what happened in those stops is not talked about too much. Has he improved on his deficiencies that those other teams saw? Is it a case of right place, right time? What is the deal? We may never know.

Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Rolni wrote:

Sean Smith 6'3 214
Cary Williams 6'1 190

Rodgers-Cromartie would be a nice addition at the right price. And I can't see Cary Williams wanting to leave the Ravens if given the oppportunity to re-sign there.

DRC isn't physical at all and hes been really underwhelming in Philly. Who runs a lot of zone on defense, not unlike our new scheme does. No thank you.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why it would have to be at the right price. He played well in Arizona but poorly in Philly. Not unlike Asomugha. Is it a Philly thing or a talent thing? I would only want to find out at the right price.

holyghost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
That's why it would have to be at the right price. He played well in Arizona but poorly in Philly. Not unlike Asomugha. Is it a Philly thing or a talent thing? I would only want to find out at the right price.

I am thinking Comartie is just not that good. Honestly, Asomugha for Philly is exactly what he was here, despite most fans not wanting to see it. I don't think Cromartie is different than he ever was, which is a great athlete but whom never lived up to his measurables on the field itself, so far. And my best example of that would be Asante Samuel.

Same team, and Samuel once again is all the player he was in New England. Honestly, scheme, system, it's all a bit overvalued. Not entirely overvalued, but more is definitely made of it than should be. Performers find a way to perform, non performers don't. Scheme and system can help, but it will never make a great player look really bad. Nor will it make a bad player look really great. It can help to a degree like I said, but the cream rises regardless eventually.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Rolni wrote:

Sean Smith 6'3 214
Cary Williams 6'1 190

DRC isn't physical at all and hes been really underwhelming in Philly. Who runs a lot of zone on defense, not unlike our new scheme does. No thank you.

this.
gimme Sean Smith tho

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN >>>>>> all of you
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:

Sean Smith 6'3 214
Cary Williams 6'1 190

I would give Williams a good chunk of change, not anything ridiculous but I would give him a nice sized contract to bring him in. I've seen quite a few Ravens games the past two seasons and Williams is a heck of a football player. Would love to bring him in.

This free agent class is pretty stacked in our areas of need. Lots of solid DT, CB, and maybe a number one WR out there. If we can be smart and fill a couple needs in free agency it would make the draft a lot easier on us.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a bit more of a look into our defense stats. In terms of rushing we gave up 4.3(t19th) yards per carry and 1,897 yards(18th). Haven't given up a yard per carry as low as that since 2006 and total yards since 2002.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
Had a bit more of a look into our defense stats. In terms of rushing we gave up 4.3(t19th) yards per carry and 1,897 yards(18th). Haven't given up a yard per carry as low as that since 2006 and total yards since 2002.

I noticed that as well. I was considering getting data from every game and throwing it into Excel and seeing what I could come up with as far as trends and correlations with performance. Moreso with the defense. Like what happened after Seymour got hurt or after McClain got benched.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
Raidin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Raidin wrote:

I noticed that as well. I was considering getting data from every game and throwing it into Excel and seeing what I could come up with as far as trends and correlations with performance. Moreso with the defense. Like what happened after Seymour got hurt or after McClain got benched.

I quickly looked at each game, not sure it's possible to spot much of a trend on both of those. Seymour missed

Bucs - 278 yards
Ravens - 72
Saints - 151
Bengals - 99
Browns - 122
Denver -
KC -
Panthers - 112

McClain was benched for the Bucs game on again I think, can't remember but you'd have to look at plays he was on field for. From memory is was on the field for some big plays and off field for other big plays so don't think there is anything to conclusive there. I'd put it down to better coaching and players improving because of that.
La_Vader

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Corners
1 MIDDLEBACKER
1 NT
1 DE pass rusher!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: