Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defense was balling late in the season
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Most pressing defensive need
Defensive Tackle
47%
 47%  [ 11 ]
Corner (x2)
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
Free Safety
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Linebacker
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23

DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Defense was balling late in the season Reply with quote

Lost in the article about Knapp being fired was this little nugget:

Quote:
Raiders defensive end Lamarr Houston had nine tackles and four assists, plus 1.5 sacks and two QB hits.

Lamarr Houston came on strong to end the season. And there were others that stepped up their game. During the telecast the announcer quoted our DC as saying that the linebacking corps was buying into what he was preaching and the results showed.

I think defensively the most pressing needs are 2 solid CB's and a FS to replace Schweigert, I mean whatever the hell that slap's name is. Rolling Eyes

Raider X hooked me with the sig
Dessie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last 3 games we have given up a total of 127 yards on 63 carries.

Run defense has been a lot better. Bilikuidi has played a lot more and Omar Gaither has proven you don't need stars at the LB position to get the job done.

I like the look of Ross. I know he got beat for the td but he is a solid tackler. Him and Adams look to be good finds. Another CB and Huff to FS ( at a cheaper rate) would be good.
#clueless
Rolni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston is the best D player on this team IMO.

Bryant and Kidi played well lately IMO. Hopefully Des is back and they can continue this. We need DT help for sure and more so if we cut TK (Sey is as good as gone IMO). If Kelly would take a new contract he could stay, but I think he will be gone too...

RDE is a big ?. Shaggy and Carter will be FA's, so it will be interesting who stays and who will be the new guy( FA, Draft ?? )

I liked our LB corp lately too. Wheeler should be back and I think Omar played well enough for at least a one year deal...Burris will get better, so we could have a solid LB line. Of course we could use upgrade at MLB and depth, but LB is not that big of a need to me...

It seems like they like Huff a lot. DA named him as safe for next season in an interview...He will be the FS. Branch is the SS. Mitchell will be FA...he played well lately, so I would welcome him back on a back up deal...If Huff is starting at FS all we need is a back up FS.

Then we have the CB position. I like Ross and Adams, however Adams seems to be way too injury prone. I like Hanson as well. I think Spencer was OK when healthy. Ross and Adams are RFA's and will be back IMO. I would sign Hanson and Spencer back too and look around in FA hard and draft a guy in the middle rounds...
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Shaugnessy a lot last year and this year idk what his deal is. Seems like he kinda just lost it. Has a just regressed?

Kelly and Seymour have regressed big time and were a huge problem for us in the first half of the season.

Once Des Bryant started getting more playing time, and once McClain's starting role was taken away, it seemed like our D played better.

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
Heart of Oak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really need DT, DE, CB - I don't know that you can actually prioritise which one. One option I would like to see is draft Moore with #1, move Houston inside to UT and get Michael Johnson and Terrance Knighton in FA:

RE - Moore / Carter
NT - Knighton / Bilukidi
UT - Houston / Bryant
LE - Johnson / Shaughnessy

Shaughnessy should be a LE anyway and I believe Johnson has the strength to play LE if he needed to, he just gets played at RE cos he also has the speed / athleticism as well.

As for CB (eek) unless we could trade down a couple of spots to get a high 2nd rounder (we might get Poyer top of the 2nd) while still picking up Moore, I don't really know. But maybe we just have to accept that we can't fix everything in one off-season.

The flaw in this strategy is moving our best defensive player (Houston), but I believe while being a good LE, he could be a dynamite UT.
Rolni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heart of Oak wrote:
We really need DT, DE, CB - I don't know that you can actually prioritise which one. One option I would like to see is draft Moore with #1, move Houston inside to UT and get Michael Johnson and Terrance Knighton in FA:

RE - Moore / Carter
NT - Knighton / Bilukidi
UT - Houston / Bryant
LE - Johnson / Shaughnessy

Shaughnessy should be a LE anyway and I believe Johnson has the strength to play LE if he needed to, he just gets played at RE cos he also has the speed / athleticism as well.

As for CB (eek) unless we could trade down a couple of spots to get a high 2nd rounder (we might get Poyer top of the 2nd) while still picking up Moore, I don't really know. But maybe we just have to accept that we can't fix everything in one off-season.

The flaw in this strategy is moving our best defensive player (Houston), but I believe while being a good LE, he could be a dynamite UT.

That line would suck against the run IMO...
big_palooka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see Carter back. He's a large reason the pass rush has gotten better. He started coming back to form and was getting consistent pressure. Good option as a 3rd down pass rusher.

Shaugnessy is solid in run support, but doesn't seem enough to keep unless it's on the cheap.

Bryant, Bilukidi are playing well inside. Another piece in this rotation will be great. Star?

Overall, DE is the spot needing attention. They need a consistent edge rusher.

Draft the baddest dude on the defensive side of the ball and I think you improve the unit 10 fold.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
I want to see Carter back. He's a large reason the pass rush has gotten better. He started coming back to form and was getting consistent pressure. Good option as a 3rd down pass rusher.

Shaugnessy is solid in run support, but doesn't seem enough to keep unless it's on the cheap.

Bryant, Bilukidi are playing well inside. Another piece in this rotation will be great. Star?

Draft the baddest dude on the defensive side of the ball and I think you improve the unit 10 fold.

Bryant has been excellent IMO, we don't need to prioritise a UT especially as we don't ask them to get up the field as quickly as previous schemes. Hence why Kelly's numbers are down. Houston has been a stand out. Carter has been good but you have to wonder how much more has he left? Shaughnessy would be a good back up but he may get a better deal.

As you say a consistent edge rusher is a priority and more depth for the d-line.

A vet CB to help Adams and Ross would be ideal. Pick up another to develop.
#clueless
reddevil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Bryant has been excellent IMO, we don't need to prioritise a UT especially as we don't ask them to get up the field as quickly as previous schemes. Hence why Kelly's numbers are down. Houston has been a stand out. Carter has been good but you have to wonder how much more has he left? Shaughnessy would be a good back up but he may get a better deal.

As you say a consistent edge rusher is a priority and more depth for the d-line.

A vet CB to help Adams and Ross would be ideal. Pick up another to develop.

This is an interesting point. It certainly appears to be the case and besides, Bryant has been getting to the QB pretty well as a UT anyway. I think the whole Raider fan base has been craving a NT. Could Star fill that role? If so, we would be set inside for a good few years. The draft appears to be pretty deep with DT/NTs, so alternatively we could pick up a big body in the later rounds to rotate with Bryant and Bilikudi and allow us to concentrate on getting the pass-rusher with our first pick.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

Draft the baddest dude on the defensive side of the ball and I t

Think you improve the unit 10 fold.

+1.

Need a real QB hunter. Werner would be SICK in silver and black.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

I like Carter as well. I think Shagnessey will improve also as he is coming of that injury this year.

Right now I am leaning towards Moore if we stand pat with our pick but wouldnt mind Werner. We will see how these bowl games and draft combines play out though. Obviously Allen would have stronger ties to the Moore.
BNich0622

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with x2 CB. WE don't have a safety in the defensive back field that intimidates anyone. The corner back issue has been apparent for a number of years now. Its been a revolving door. Time to find someone or two to fill those holes and move forward.

Thanks to RaiderX for the sig
holyghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balling is a stretch. I'd say the defense was stable, finally.

Biggest need is a true impact player at any position. And from looking around the league, guys usually occupy OLB, DE, or S when they are true impact players. So in our defense, I'd say DE. We have needs all over, but more than anything we need a pro bowl worthy guy to change the complexion of games.

D and STs didn't score one point all year. That's what we need.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still need a starting CB, but I was pleased with the play (for the most part) of some of the young guys like Ross, Adams and Chekwa down the stretch. We still have ansah on the PS and Hanson for the slot, I think CB will be a good competition in TC.
ch8878

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the address all the positions in free agency that way they can trade back in the draft then pick the best player on the board.

Hopefully they trade back a few times in the 1st round, and get allot of picks. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: