Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pete Carmichael HC Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Pete Carmichael HC Question Reply with quote

The Bears are interviewing Pete CarMichael for their head coaching job today and I was wondering if there was anything that you guys could tell us about him?

We know what his Wikipedia page and the media have told us.

But what do New Orleans fans think of him?
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Pete, but as a HC I'm not so sure.

His biggest issue is play calling. Let me preface by saying the guy is an offensive dynamo. Great mind offensively. He can have a team pouring on points with no problem. Great offensive mind. His biggest is play calling. It becomes predictable a little too much imo. For example, lets say he completes 3-4 consecutive passes. Even if he was having success with the run, he'll abandon it. For the next 7-10 plays, it will be all pass-pass-pass.

Now it may work, probably against a crappy D, but if it fails, especially against a top D, it becomes frustrating.

Another one of his issues. Greed. Now this might be just me but it's infuriating. Pete will try and get too much from too little. For example, this season, end of the 2nd qtr, we're leading the 49ers with 33 seconds to go. This is the top D in the NFL and we just scored from them and our D(historically bad remember) just got a turnover and we're inside our own 30. Instead of running down the clock and going into the half with a lead, he airs it out, we get a pick 6 and we're down going in. We come out after the half, we get the ball, we're inside our own 20 or 15 IIRC, and he airs it out again, and wouldn't you know it, pick 6. The latter case is something he does alot. Throwing it from less than desirable positions. Which is especially shocking due to our depth at the RB position.

To conclude, Pete is a terrific offensive mind. He can draw up plays and get mismatches with the best of them. I am just not sure he's HC material. If anyone is going get Cutler career best numbers it would be Pete. The risk for the Bears is two things. 1.) Cutler isn't as good nor as accurate as Brees. He may get career high TD's, Yards and Completions, but he also may get career high INTs. 2.) With the amount of dropping back Cutler will be doing, your O-line better shape up quickly. If not, Cutler may not survive. Having B-Marsh and Floyd, Cutler should have enough weapons. Pete is a great OC, I'm just not sure if he's HC material. Great offensive mind though.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info thanks

What about as a leader and administrator?

Is he respected by the players and coaches?
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know enough to talk about that in depth, but the general idea that I've gotten is the players respect him. He's not a hardass but a guy who works with players to fix stuff.

His adjustments at half time are also pretty good. As an admin, again not sure, but his weekly game planning is pretty spot on.

Sorry I can't be more help. If you have any more questions, I can try answer them.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrible guy for the Bears job. He throws way too often...which is ok when you have a decent oline and Brees at QB. Its not with the Bears oline and Cutler. Remember what you had with Martz? Much of the same here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
Horrible guy for the Bears job. He throws way too often...which is ok when you have a decent oline and Brees at QB. Its not with the Bears oline and Cutler. Remember what you had with Martz? Much of the same here.

Or does he throw too much because he has Bree's

My worry with him is that he is too muh football geek and not enough o the other things need to be a head coach.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
My worry with him is that he is too muh football geek and not enough o the other things need to be a head coach.

That would be my biggest worry with him as well.

With his personality, it could be too easy for the players to see him as a friend/peer rather than a coach.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

Or does he throw too much because he has Bree's

He doesn't strike me as a guy with the confidence and personality to be a great leader. He looks like a nerdy wizard, like Payton...but Payton is like the Sean Connery of nerdy wizards.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have heard conflicting reports from NO reporters one said he was ready to he a HC and the other said he has no personality and could not command a locker room.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
We have heard conflicting reports from NO reporters one said he was ready to he a HC and the other said he has no personality and could not command a locker room.

I'd side with the 2nd. I bet he gets a shot eventually though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: