Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

You don't like Romo? Find me a Solution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
The difference with alto of those teams and us is this:

Most of those teams had a lot of high draft picks and talent. All they needed was a competent qb to push them over the edge.

We have a competent qb, but have a lack of talent at other positions due to terrible player development and drafting during the wade Phillips era.

I don't know why you are blaming Wade. Wade, himself, said it at least 1 billion times that Jason Garrett is the coach of the offense. I think everybody would acknowledge that the biggest and most consistent problem has been the OL. That's all on Garrett. Garrett failed to develop countless OLmen as the offensive coach since 2007... including numerous 3rd and 4th round draft picks. Garrett signed 2 terrible OLmen to FA contracts this offseason. That's all on Garrett. The only OLman that Garrett was able to develop during his tenure in Dallas was the #9 pick in the draft.

Hell, look no further than Doug Free. When Wade was the HC, Free was actually pretty good. In 2009, Free allowed 1 sack in 7 starts. In 2010, Free allowed 5 sacks in 16 starts. Under Garrett, Free allowed 9.5 sacks and 10 penalties in 2011 and 7 sackes and 13 penalties in 2012. Since Garrett has been the HC, the Cowboys have given up about 20-30% more sacks than under Wade Phillips.

I would say that's an OL coach problem not a Garrett problem. Maybe Callahan moves to OC and Sparano can come in a reclaim OL duties.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
The difference with alto of those teams and us is this:

Most of those teams had a lot of high draft picks and talent. All they needed was a competent qb to push them over the edge.

We have a competent qb, but have a lack of talent at other positions due to terrible player development and drafting during the wade Phillips era.

I don't know why you are blaming Wade. Wade, himself, said it at least 1 billion times that Jason Garrett is the coach of the offense. I think everybody would acknowledge that the biggest and most consistent problem has been the OL. That's all on Garrett. Garrett failed to develop countless OLmen as the offensive coach since 2007... including numerous 3rd and 4th round draft picks. Garrett signed 2 terrible OLmen to FA contracts this offseason. That's all on Garrett. The only OLman that Garrett was able to develop during his tenure in Dallas was the #9 pick in the draft.

Hell, look no further than Doug Free. When Wade was the HC, Free was actually pretty good. In 2009, Free allowed 1 sack in 7 starts. In 2010, Free allowed 5 sacks in 16 starts. Under Garrett, Free allowed 9.5 sacks and 10 penalties in 2011 and 7 sackes and 13 penalties in 2012. Since Garrett has been the HC, the Cowboys have given up about 20-30% more sacks than under Wade Phillips.

Livings has not been terrible.

Secondly, there is a clear difference in how the team is developed under those regimes. You can try and twist anything you want...

Third, Garrett has tried addressing the problem by replacing on of the most respect ol coaches with another.

And lastly, I can't take you serious when you use a team that parcels built to defend wade. Its like defending Switzer for winning a Superbowl with jimmys team.
matt79511

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the exact reason for Free's regression. I doubt it's been the transition from Wade to Garrett, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
I don't know the exact reason for Free's regression. I doubt it's been the transition from Wade to Garrett, though.

That contract....

^^^mack
matt79511

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

That contract....

That's the most logical explanation, but I see no indication that effort has been his problem. He just sucks now as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

That contract....

That's the most logical explanation, but I see no indication that effort has been his problem. He just sucks now as far as I can tell.

Maybe...the rotation between he and Parnell seemed to help some, but I don't know if that is something we would want to do over a 16 game season.

^^^mack
silus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Wisenhunt is twice the coach the Cowboys have now. Tony Romo is not the problem in Dallas, it has always been mediocre coaching. It still is.
atran35

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are stuck with ROMO for the next few years. They will offer him a 5 year extension and he will sign it. Now the question is how can we help him? Easy answer...get him a running game and descent OL. DeMarco is descent but he's been hurt and can't seem to finish the season. We need another RB. Not a complimentary one...we need a potential starter. And that OLINE has been horrendous for the last 3 years.
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
We are stuck with ROMO for the next few years. They will offer him a 5 year extension and he will sign it. Now the question is how can we help him? Easy answer...get him a running game and descent OL. DeMarco is descent but he's been hurt and can't seem to finish the season. We need another RB. Not a complimentary one...we need a potential starter. And that OLINE has been horrendous for the last 3 years.

^^^^This^^^^

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:

I agree - I think most everyone has come to that conclusion. Romo is good enough to win you games and get you in contention for playoffs. He is not good enough to push you over that hump to being a legit Superbowl contender. He needs a defense and running game to help him out.

Contrary to most, I think our defense will be fine. But a couple OL and a good RB would be nice.

Stephen Jackson is going to be a FA. Wonder what he will cost.
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
atran35 wrote:

I agree - I think most everyone has come to that conclusion. Romo is good enough to win you games and get you in contention for playoffs. He is not good enough to push you over that hump to being a legit Superbowl contender. He needs a defense and running game to help him out.

Contrary to most, I think our defense will be fine. But a couple OL and a good RB would be nice.

Stephen Jackson is going to be a FA. Wonder what he will cost.

No to SJackson. Something happens to RBs when they hit 30. Of course there are exceptions, but far more who fall off a cliff after 30.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this has been said or not, as I'm not going to read 13 pages of material to find out, but here goes my Romo defense:

Through Romoís last eight games before going up against the Washington Redskins in the season finale, he was playing on par with any elite quarterback in the game. He had compiled 2612 yards in those eight games alone, averaging 327 yards per contest. He had completed 67% of his throws, while tossing 17 touchdowns to only 3 interceptions. Out of his 328 passing attempts, only 3 were intercepted, which means he threw an interception only on .9% of his passes. Thatís incredible. In comparison, Aaron Rodgers, who is praised for his good judgement and ball security, had 1.6% of his passes intercepted during the same time frame as Romo. Rodgers also completed only 64% of his passes compared to Romoís 67% while throwing one less touchdown (16). These numbers show Romo was playing at an elite level in the 2nd half of the season, which led to the sudden success that his team had during that same stretch. While Romo suffered a bad performance vs the Washington Redskins in the season finale resulting in elimination from the playoffs, his elite level of quarterbacking in the second half of the season was the only reason why the Cowboys were in contention in the first place.

Basically there wasn't a quarterback in the NFL playing at a higher level than Romo was in the last 8 games leading up to the season finale vs Washington. Yes, Romo blew that game with his interceptions, but if the Cowboys had any other quarterback than Romo during the last stretch of the season, they would not have been any better off, and the game vs Washington probably would not have mattered anyway as Romo's elite + clutch play was the only reason why the Cowboys were able to fight for the division title in the last game of the season.

P.S. Read this article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1463014-cowboys-vs-redskins-tony-romo-isnt-the-reason-dallas-fell-short-of-playoffs

^ made by CalhounLambeau
atran35

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Fly. You have no argument from me. The reality is we have not injected the OLINE with descent players for the last 2 years. JJ made an attempt with Livings and Beneadeau hoping Callahan can coach them to be Probowlers at the expense of costing Murray and Romo injury. JJ has himself to blame for going for the CBs/WRs skill set players. If JJ is serious about helping Romo/Murray...he needs to draft in the 1st 3 rounds at least 2 OL. If we had free agency money I would throw it to Andre Smith to be a RT. He's been an above average RT for the Bengals.
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been said or not, as I'm not going to read 13 pages of material to find out, but here goes my Romo defense:

Through Romoís last eight games before going up against the Washington Redskins in the season finale, he was playing on par with any elite quarterback in the game. He had compiled 2612 yards in those eight games alone, averaging 327 yards per contest. He had completed 67% of his throws, while tossing 17 touchdowns to only 3 interceptions. Out of his 328 passing attempts, only 3 were intercepted, which means he threw an interception only on .9% of his passes. Thatís incredible. In comparison, Aaron Rodgers, who is praised for his good judgement and ball security, had 1.6% of his passes intercepted during the same time frame as Romo. Rodgers also completed only 64% of his passes compared to Romoís 67% while throwing one less touchdown (16). These numbers show Romo was playing at an elite level in the 2nd half of the season, which led to the sudden success that his team had during that same stretch. While Romo suffered a bad performance vs the Washington Redskins in the season finale resulting in elimination from the playoffs, his elite level of quarterbacking in the second half of the season was the only reason why the Cowboys were in contention in the first place.

Basically there wasn't a quarterback in the NFL playing at a higher level than Romo was in the last 8 games leading up to the season finale vs Washington. Yes, Romo blew that game with his interceptions, but if the Cowboys had any other quarterback than Romo during the last stretch of the season, they would not have been any better off, and the game vs Washington probably would not have mattered anyway as Romo's elite + clutch play was the only reason why the Cowboys were able to fight for the division title in the last game of the season.

P.S. Read this article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1463014-cowboys-vs-redskins-tony-romo-isnt-the-reason-dallas-fell-short-of-playoffs

Good article and he make valid points. It's easy to blame Romo for our missed chances. It's easy to overlook the injuries on D, the horrendous ST play. It's easy to forget that we had no Dez or Austin on the last couple
Of drives . Some say he can't perform under pressure and never will be a
Winner, He play under pressure the last 6 games to get us to a point of possible making the playoffs but we have been over this before .Here's hoping Jerry and staff get it into their thick skulls to get Romo some quality lineman for next season
GrassyKnoll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of you are falling into the Romo trap. He wows you with his statistics until it matters most. He lures you into thinking he is the guy by making great plays that few could make only to crush you with his stupid mistakes. These always seem to occur at the most critical times. It's just who he is & it's time that we realize & admit it. He's not what this team needs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: