Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

our draft pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Lately I've been getting the feeling that we'll go offense with our first pick. DT, CB, and S have been needs forever, yet we've never looked there in the first round (usually we look to that in the 3rd).

I'd love to pick up a franchise left tackle in this draft. Lewan would be an amazing pick, but (if he does declare), he'll probably go top 10. Eric Fisher from Central Michigan could make a rise up the boards too, and I wouldn't mind him. Chance could be a good pick, but the value of a right guard just isn't there, so I'm not sure how much he'll be considered.

Ehh the kid is good but I'd rather take a an OT that has gone up against solid dlines in college football. Who has central michigan gone up against this year that even came close? Michigan St? Iowa? I would pass on him imo

Yeah, the competition is the concern with him, but he draws easy comparisons to Joe Staley (also CMU), and he's been a top 5 LT the past 2 or 3 years.

Another name thats getting a lot of hype lately is Oday Aboushi, from Virginia. I didn't watch too much of them this year, but lots of people are touting him as a left tackle (based solely on his size I had been thinking RT). I don't think his stock makes it to top 20 status, but he could be someone to look at if we trade back, or if his stock flattens out and he's there in the 2nd.
ericr0319

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Toughguy77 wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Lately I've been getting the feeling that we'll go offense with our first pick. DT, CB, and S have been needs forever, yet we've never looked there in the first round (usually we look to that in the 3rd).

I'd love to pick up a franchise left tackle in this draft. Lewan would be an amazing pick, but (if he does declare), he'll probably go top 10. Eric Fisher from Central Michigan could make a rise up the boards too, and I wouldn't mind him. Chance could be a good pick, but the value of a right guard just isn't there, so I'm not sure how much he'll be considered.

Ehh the kid is good but I'd rather take a an OT that has gone up against solid dlines in college football. Who has central michigan gone up against this year that even came close? Michigan St? Iowa? I would pass on him imo

Yeah, the competition is the concern with him, but he draws easy comparisons to Joe Staley (also CMU), and he's been a top 5 LT the past 2 or 3 years.

Another name thats getting a lot of hype lately is Oday Aboushi, from Virginia. I didn't watch too much of them this year, but lots of people are touting him as a left tackle (based solely on his size I had been thinking RT). I don't think his stock makes it to top 20 status, but he could be someone to look at if we trade back, or if his stock flattens out and he's there in the 2nd.

This draft is pretty deep at OT, which is why I think we wait until the 2nd round to take one. Unless we trade down and pick up a 2nd or 3rd, then we need to pass out O-line in the 1st. I would love a situation where a team drafts back into the 1st round, like a top 5 team, we get their 2nd, 4th, and future picks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OT class is pretty good this year, but next years is better. We should take advantage of the plethora of DTs this year. I would like to see them do something as such:

1st:DT (Richardson or Hankins)
2nd: CB/S

or

1st: CB (Millner or Banks)
2nd: DT (Short, Floyd or Williams)

Then get a pass catching TE and a big run blocking RT in the later rounds
4th: Dion Sims TE MSU
5th: Alex Hurst OT LSU

Go Defense first this year and then take the offensive pieces next year. I understand Warmack who is a top 3 talent in this draft, but we need to take advantage of the interior defensive linemen in this draft.

Then as I said take the LT of the future in 2014 draft and offload Gross' contract somehow.
ericr0319

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly392009 wrote:
The OT class is pretty good this year, but next years is better. We should take advantage of the plethora of DTs this year. I would like to see them do something as such:

1st:DT (Richardson or Hankins)
2nd: CB/S

or

1st: CB (Millner or Banks)
2nd: DT (Short, Floyd or Williams)

Then get a pass catching TE and a big run blocking RT in the later rounds
4th: Dion Sims TE MSU
5th: Alex Hurst OT LSU

Go Defense first this year and then take the offensive pieces next year. I understand Warmack who is a top 3 talent in this draft, but we need to take advantage of the interior defensive linemen in this draft.

Then as I said take the LT of the future in 2014 draft and offload Gross' contract somehow.

I kinda like this. Im the biggest gators fan in the world and pretty bias, so I want us to trade down so bad and grab Matt Elam in the 20s and pick up an extra 2nd round pick. Then go.

1st - Matt Elam, Godfrey was really good his first year (my opinion) when he had Chris Harris at SS. Matt Elam is a pure SS, and a beast at one. This guy DOES NOT miss tackles. Yes UF got destroyed in the Sugar Bowl, but Elam was still a beast in that game. Keeping Godfrey and drafting Elam is huge for both the FS and SS position. Elam is top notch tackler and reads the field well.

2nd - (if he falls) Sherif Floyd - Yes another Gator. But, another stud. This guy can get after the QB. But, this I think is a reach. Mark my word after the combine this guy is a 1st round pick.

2nd (by trade) - David Amerson - Great addition for our secondary. We play against Matt Ryan and Drew Brees 4 times a year. We NEED our secondary to improve. Resigning Captain, Norman, and Amerson gives us a good young rotation.

I would love this draft.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want us to go out and sign a veteran for our secondary. I know that it will be hard given our cap situation this offseason, but Gamble could be cut, and we are going to be very young in the secondary if that happens. Munnerlyn is also a free agent. Godfrey is just OK, but he's not really that good and he'll be the player with the most experience in the secondary. Somebody that has solid coverage skills to help the youngsters and so Godfrey can play closer to the line of scrimmage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: