Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Offseason Transaction/Rumor Tracker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 95, 96, 97  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigc421

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
bigc421 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
MrDirt wrote:
I think this belongs here Think

per Adam Schefter
Quote:
Lions signed OT Corey Hilliard to a two-year contract extension. Hilliard is expected to compete for Lions starting RT job.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/307501492523397120
Probably part of Mayhew's "Plan B", for when Stafford and the Lions cant agree to an extension.

Something about the words "Hilliard" and "starting" scare the hell out of me.

And can someone explain why our 2 top FA targets appear to be a RB and a WR? I can understand them being targets, but surely they watched the same defense I did last year? Who knows, maybe if they made defense the priority it would motivate Stafford to restruscture so he can get his shiny new toys.......again.

Oh well, its shaping up to be a band aid free agency period followed by a draft that will yield mediocre, over hyped prospects.

Then the predictions will start indicating fans are overly optimistic.

Regular season will unfold and everyone will want to give Mayhew and Schwartz another year because the team improved to six wins.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Nostradamus

And apparently the perception of lions fans being a bunch of whoa is me doom and gloom cry babies is going to continue as well
How many times have doom and gloomers been wrong?

You could make a nice living betting against the Lions every week, of every season.

Obviously lions fans have had plenty to grip about over the years, but nobody enjoys listening to whining babies constantly griping regardless of the situation. Anything this current regime does goin foward has nothing to do with what happened 5,10 or 50u years ago. Imo theyve really only had 2 seasons with any realistic chance of actual success and there 1 and 1, we'll see what happens going foward.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but DT Mike Patterson formerly of the Eagles is visiting in Detroit.
Louis Delmas26

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
Falcons are going to release Dunta Robinson.

Michael Turner and John Abraham, too.

I'll pass on all three unless Robinson signs for cheap.

John Abraham wouldn't be bad if we got him for a 2 year deal sort of cheap. He tallied 10 sacks last season, so he would be nice in the wide 9.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two guys who I've seen people mock to us got franchised: Byrd and Johnson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/01/bills-franchise-jairus-byrd/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/01/bengals-to-tag-michael-johnson-opening-a-big-door/

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Delmas26 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

John Abraham wouldn't be bad if we got him for a 2 year deal sort of cheap. He tallied 10 sacks last season, so he would be nice in the wide 9.

He's also 35 though. I'd rather go younger, even if it's just for a stop gap player.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
Louis Delmas26 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

He's also 35 though. I'd rather go younger, even if it's just for a stop gap player.

If they want to sign an older player at DE, I'd rather look up Freeney. Yeah, Abraham was more productive last year, but he's 2 years older, and you might chalk up Freeney's mediocre production to playing in an unfamiliar 3-4 base, and he might be cheaper because of it. William Hayes makes for an interesting name, but he wasn't particularly successful in Tennessee under Schwartz, so who knows if he'd be able to replicate last year's success here.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigc421 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
MrDirt wrote:

per Adam Schefter
Quote:
Lions signed OT Corey Hilliard to a two-year contract extension. Hilliard is expected to compete for Lions starting RT job.

Probably part of Mayhew's "Plan B", for when Stafford and the Lions cant agree to an extension.

And can someone explain why our 2 top FA targets appear to be a RB and a WR? I can understand them being targets, but surely they watched the same defense I did last year? Who knows, maybe if they made defense the priority it would motivate Stafford to restruscture so he can get his shiny new toys.......again.

Oh well, its shaping up to be a band aid free agency period followed by a draft that will yield mediocre, over hyped prospects.

Regular season will unfold and everyone will want to give Mayhew and Schwartz another year because the team improved to six wins.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Nostradamus

And apparently the perception of lions fans being a bunch of whoa is me doom and gloom cry babies is going to continue as well

Get off your soap box.

I've been a fan of this team for fifty years and the only consistency the last 10+ years has been the dismal performance of this franchise.

Last I looked the Lions are a failed franchise and being honest about this team is hardly being a cray baby.

There's nothing wrong with being a realist and I'm sorry if realism interferes with your Honolulu Blue Halucinations.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigc421 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
bigc421 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
MrDirt wrote:

per Adam Schefter
Quote:

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Nostradamus

How many times have doom and gloomers been wrong?

You could make a nice living betting against the Lions every week, of every season.

Obviously lions fans have had plenty to grip about over the years, but nobody enjoys listening to whining babies constantly griping regardless of the situation. Anything this current regime does goin foward has nothing to do with what happened 5,10 or 50u years ago. Imo theyve really only had 2 seasons with any realistic chance of actual success and there 1 and 1, we'll see what happens going foward.

Oh just stop it. You're being a jerk.

This regime has had time and opportunity. It's to bad your supportive of a poor regime that couldn't add a single starter in last years draft and followed up with a 4 win season.

There is very little of what you call whining and craying in these threads and if offends you so much stop reading.

The current regime is tied to the previous regime and if you have paid attention you would understand that.

Fans like you are always supportive of incompetence in the management and coaching ranks but until you chose to shoot off your mouth and whine and cry about my post which is ironic considering your engaging in the same behaviour are left alone.

This regime has drafted poorly and managed to totally bungle the salary cap by continuing to push money forward following that up by wasting the available cap dollars.

Now they will be hung is Stafford doesn't sign an extension. They have a 20 million cap hit with only 12.5 of that in salary. They cut KVB and have 5 million in dead money because of the way they structure his deal.

Sorry, until Mayhew and Scwartz field a competitive team its show me time. Complaining about their performance is nothing more than being objective about how ineffective they've been.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
1King

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ (not quoting the giant quote tree)

Yes, they have had time to turn it around, but it also takes time to turn around a losing culture. It certainly hasn't been perfect and without set backs, but if anyone was expecting perfection then I dont know what to say. Both sides have a point (i.e. "having faith" is much better than expecting failure, but the "accepting mediocrity" crowd has a point as well), but I honestly think the "accepting mediocrity" crowd is going a bit overboard. Everyone (including the "accepting mediocrity" crowd) was all on the bandwagon (for lack of a better word) and talking about our bright future, we have 1 set back (albeit a decent sized one) and people are jumping ship talking about how bad we are in everything. The "same ole Lions" crowd is just as dangerous a mindset as is the "accepting mediocrity" crowd.

DHLF, I think you are going a bit overboard with "didn't draft a single starter last year" as everyone knew Rieff was likely to sit the first year and learn and get adjusted to the NFL while we had 2 entrenched starters at OT - everyone was happy about that then and now. Broyles would be a starter too if he hadn't gotten hurt. So that is 2 guys who would/will be starters but havent yet due to circumstances rather than bad play. Now if you want to look at it as the end result is the same, then that is fine and you have a point, but I dont look at it that way, especially wrt Rieff.

Maybe your definition of competitive team is different, but they took the team to the playoffs last year and even with all the losses this year most of them were competitive.

Yes, complaining can be (and some of it is) objective, but not all of it.

Saying "its shaping up to be a band aid free agency period" is a valid, objective criticism.

Saying "followed by a draft that will yield mediocre, over hyped prospects" is not valid and it certainly is not objective criticism, it is a handicap of the "same ole Lions" mentality that I touched on earlier.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
bigc421

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow as i was contemplating a rebuttal 1king came and worded it better than i ever could have, very good post

For what its worth im not some pie in the sky fan that just always hopes for the best, im as critical and frustrated as any logical fan and the dents in my wall from flying beer cans will atest to that. Like he said, the same ole lions crowd just go to far with it and never seem to shut up . Ive also always had a certain disdain for the stafford haters because they seem to almost deep down hope for his.failure regardless of the fact that he was clearly the by far and away best choice
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigc421 wrote:
Wow as i was contemplating a rebuttal 1king came and worded it better than i ever could have, very good post

For what its worth im not some pie in the sky fan that just always hopes for the best, im as critical and frustrated as any logical fan and the dents in my wall from flying beer cans will atest to that. Like he said, the same ole lions crowd just go to far with it and never seem to shut up . Ive also always had a certain disdain for the stafford haters because they seem to almost deep down hope for his.failure regardless of the fact that he was clearly the by far and away best choice
So you're a Stafford slappy, gotcha. Slap on
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigc421 wrote:

That's actually laughable given your very infrequent participation in the forum.

I love the way you so easily label people. First its cry babies and now you profess disdain for those that criticise Staffords performances and call them haters.

Laughing Stylish was right on the money slappy.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:
^ (not quoting the giant quote tree)

Yes, they have had time to turn it around, but it also takes time to turn around a losing culture. It certainly hasn't been perfect and without set backs, but if anyone was expecting perfection then I dont know what to say. Both sides have a point (i.e. "having faith" is much better than expecting failure, but the "accepting mediocrity" crowd has a point as well), but I honestly think the "accepting mediocrity" crowd is going a bit overboard. Everyone (including the "accepting mediocrity" crowd) was all on the bandwagon (for lack of a better word) and talking about our bright future, we have 1 set back (albeit a decent sized one) and people are jumping ship talking about how bad we are in everything. The "same ole Lions" crowd is just as dangerous a mindset as is the "accepting mediocrity" crowd.

DHLF, I think you are going a bit overboard with "didn't draft a single starter last year" as everyone knew Rieff was likely to sit the first year and learn and get adjusted to the NFL while we had 2 entrenched starters at OT - everyone was happy about that then and now. Broyles would be a starter too if he hadn't gotten hurt. So that is 2 guys who would/will be starters but havent yet due to circumstances rather than bad play. Now if you want to look at it as the end result is the same, then that is fine and you have a point, but I dont look at it that way, especially wrt Rieff.

Maybe your definition of competitive team is different, but they took the team to the playoffs last year and even with all the losses this year most of them were competitive.

Yes, complaining can be (and some of it is) objective, but not all of it.

Saying "its shaping up to be a band aid free agency period" is a valid, objective criticism.

Saying "followed by a draft that will yield mediocre, over hyped prospects" is not valid and it certainly is not objective criticism, it is a handicap of the "same ole Lions" mentality that I touched on earlier.

My definition of a competitive team is a team that wins as many games as it loses. So many times this season teams went into prevent basically knowing they could score at will on the Lions D. The same ole lions mentality? Oh, are these the new successful Lions? Re these the Lions that strike fear into the opposition? Nope, they're the same old Lions. Big on press conferences and trying to generate hype through the media. Short on talent. Short on wins. Short on accountability.

Last I checked close doesn't count in football. Every aspect of measurement is based on the number of wins and last I checked the Lions had 4 which has earned them the number five pick.

How am I going overboard? How many starters did they draft? Was it 4 perhaps 2? Tell me how many?

It's curious how no one can accept the truth. When its stated you get accused of going overboard.

I actually made my post as a joke but lost my sense of humour when numb nuts decided to call me a cry baby.

I do however expect more of the same from Millen's apprentice.

In an earlier thread I listed every single draft selection Mayhew has made. He doesn't have a good track record and last year simply set the franchise back.

What's most disconcerting is the Lions cap situation and the number of free agents. Mayhew has created this situation by signing players to short contracts and pushing money back from the high salary players. It's a terrible combination of choices. What's potentially worse is Stafford is likely to hold him up in their current negotiations and get a contract that is above what he's earned and a commitment into the future that hitches the Lions future to him for the next 8-10 years. Mayhew has no one to blame but himself.

So, I'm sorry if my negativity is upsetting to you but at least the scoreboard is equal because the lack of honest assessment of Mayhew and the coaching staff by some posters here is nauseating. Listening to the excuses being made for the Lions lack of success could fill a book.

In closing I have 50 years of the same old crap. This team draws emotional swings out of me because every time you start to think they're headed the right direction they pull a colossal collapse. It's usually followed by a slight increase in wins, the same the next year followed by a coaching change.

On top of that they want you to commit to your season tickets and pay by mid march.

How ironic that the worst franchise in professional sports has a forum that you don't dare complain or point out any shortcomings. The last few months I have realized why the Lions don't have any cheerleaders at the games. They're all in here. Wink

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
The last few months I have realized why the Lions don't have any cheerleaders at the games. They're all in here. Wink

What you guys look like in a skirt and half shirt?

Answer very carefully......
nagahide13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
The last few months I have realized why the Lions don't have any cheerleaders at the games. They're all in here. Wink

What you guys look like in a skirt and half shirt?

Answer very carefully......

Faaaaabuloooous...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 95, 96, 97  Next
Page 24 of 97

Jump to: