Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you be okay with Pryor going forward?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would you like Oakland to do at QB next season?
Start Palmer, develop Pryor
56%
 56%  [ 37 ]
Start Pryor, Carson mentor
18%
 18%  [ 12 ]
Start Palmer, cut Pryor, get a new QBOTF
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Start Pryor, draft QBOTF
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Other
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 65

true2form

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivingLegendWFC wrote:
Continue to start Palmer while developing Pryor and start using Pryor in packages more. Pryor is still incredibly young and he works hard, don't see any reason to cut him, but he also hasn't shown enough to start.

This.

Anybody looking for TP to start next year or to be cut is just fooling themselves. TP looked, well, the way he always has. I said this when we drafted him and I'll say it again. TP is a hard worker, a winner, and a playmaker. He's not always pretty about it, but that's just what he is. I don't know if he'll ever be a starter in this league, but he proved today that he is worth the practice reps and the chance to improve. IMO he is now the backup, should have been all year, but now for sure. That's all this was ever about for me though. Prove you belong kid.

Next year Palmer is our starter unless money is a problem. TP is the backup and we either draft a guy late or sign an UDFA to be the #3.
91jmay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Bob Dobalina wrote:
91jmay wrote:
Mr.Bob Dobalina wrote:
I would start Pryor if it meant being able to sign aso for around 7 mil a year and bringing in a DE. For around 7 mil a year which would be equal to what we would save by dumping Carson

7 million a year for Aso?

Pass.
wha? You don't think aso is worth 7 mil a year? He is due to make 15 mil this upcoming year. If he gets cut. Don't think he will be signed for less than 7 mil a year .

I don't think he is worth 7 million to this team. We aren't win now, and at his age (32) 7 million a year is a win now, Al Davis move.

Nickname for Sio Moore and Khalil Mack.
holyghost

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
Does Pryor intentionally float all of his passes, or is that really just how strong his arm is? Is that just the only way he feels comfortable passing and can it be improved? All questions I wish I knew the answer to.

Don't know whether or not it's the only way he feels comfortable. I do know that he has no mechanic set in which he plants and drives with his shoulder, hips, and feet positioned properly, hence no zip. Can he add that to his game? That's a really tough thing for even the best natural passers or smartest players to add if they don't have it.

I feel as if the strength is there in him, but the mechanic set doesn't exist at all. Can you invent it? I don't know if the best raw product possible added to the best QB coach on earth can do it, but I don't know that its impossible either.
Kevin56

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pryor showed enough natural talent and physical ability to deserve another shot to try to develop as a quarterback in the nfl. He is clearly a long ways off from being even a serviceable starter in the league but showed enough raw talent and playmaking ability under duress today to see what he's got. Everyone should remembe that he was running for his life most of the game. We would be better off building around the quarterback position and seeing what an improved o line and a real #1 receiver could do for this team. Let alone how much help the d needs. Unless Barkley falls to us in the 3rd or 4th round ( never gonna happen) then I say we stick with Palmer with Pryor as the primary backup.
91jmay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true2form wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:
Continue to start Palmer while developing Pryor and start using Pryor in packages more. Pryor is still incredibly young and he works hard, don't see any reason to cut him, but he also hasn't shown enough to start.

This.

Anybody looking for TP to start next year or to be cut is just fooling themselves. TP looked, well, the way he always has. I said this when we drafted him and I'll say it again. TP is a hard worker, a winner, and a playmaker. He's not always pretty about it, but that's just what he is. I don't know if he'll ever be a starter in this league, but he proved today that he is worth the practice reps and the chance to improve. IMO he is now the backup, should have been all year, but now for sure. That's all this was ever about for me though. Prove you belong kid.

Next year Palmer is our starter unless money is a problem. TP is the backup and we either draft a guy late or sign an UDFA to be the #3.

Great, great post.

On the mechanical point, it should be clear to everyone that Pryor isn't going to be a guy with beautiful passing stats, and a lovely throwing motion but if he can improve the way he throws (adding velocity should be his key concern, followed by deep accuracy - both fixed by footwork IMO) and keeps his solid decision making/play-making ability he could be a good starting QB in the league. However that is a huge IF, will require another full year of work before he is close to being ready to start and a ton of hard work.

Nickname for Sio Moore and Khalil Mack.
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We gotta bring someone in to compete with him. Flynn, a rookie, someone... I guess it kind of depends on the new OC too.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, my thing is he's looked this way since his sophomore year at Ohio State. He hasn't progressed much. Same mechanical problems, same footwork problems, same arm strength, same mistakes. He had always been a hard worker but he has progressed very little. That is important whether you want took admit it our not.

I wonder what, if anything, would be his trade value. We need as many picks as we can get.

PM sig requests.
Strider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
true2form wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:

This.

Great, great post.

On the mechanical point, it should be clear to everyone that Pryor isn't going to be a guy with beautiful passing stats, and a lovely throwing motion but if he can improve the way he throws (adding velocity should be his key concern, followed by deep accuracy - both fixed by footwork IMO) and keeps his solid decision making/play-making ability he could be a good starting QB in the league. However that is a huge IF, will require another full year of work before he is close to being ready to start and a ton of hard work.

I agree with you guys.

Pryor showed enough to be given another year and a chance to fix his mechanical issues.
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see Palmer on this team next season unless he reworks his contract completely... I still don't think Allen or McKenzie really want him though. Raiders and Allen would have been better off starting Pryor all season. Going 4-11 with a 33 year old veteran QB doesn't exactly get me excited...

Hard to judge things with Knapp destroying everything though too.
Darkness

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
Darkness wrote:
Does Pryor intentionally float all of his passes, or is that really just how strong his arm is? Is that just the only way he feels comfortable passing and can it be improved? All questions I wish I knew the answer to.

He has been doing it since OSU. It's just how he does it. His velocity has always been a weakness

I watched Pryor plenty at OSU. I want to know if his arm strength can be improved through his mechanics improving. That's going to need to happen, or else he doesn't have a future at QB. Kid's a special athlete, so I hope he's not waisting his talent when he has potential elsewhere.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Darkness wrote:

He has been doing it since OSU. It's just how he does it. His velocity has always been a weakness

I watched Pryor plenty at OSU. I want to know if his arm strength can be improved through his mechanics improving. That's going to need to happen, or else he doesn't have a future at QB. Kid's a special athlete, so I hope he's not waisting his talent when he has potential elsewhere.

I thought the same but then you have to think, if he hasn't improved his arm strength in any way, is there a way to do it? I don't think there is b/c this has been an issue far too long.

PM sig requests.
dante9876

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isnt a QB on our roster that I want to start next year. Palmer(money) Matt(out of the league) Pryor(trade or continue development as a backup).
Speed_Wrench

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
Again, my thing is he's looked this way since his sophomore year at Ohio State. He hasn't progressed much. Same mechanical problems, same footwork problems, same arm strength, same mistakes. He had always been a hard worker but he has progressed very little. That is important whether you want took admit it our not.

I wonder what, if anything, would be his trade value. We need as many picks as we can get.

This is obviously something Reggie and Dennis are gonna have to decide if he has the ability to make these improvements necessary, specifically his touch passes have to have more zip on them and the balloon throws have to go away period, Pryor has a lot of physical talent that lets him get away with some of his mistakes and that is probably the number one reason the coaching staff will keep him but they have got to make a 100% commitment towards this kid from this time forward, someone has to be brought in to work on these specific flaws or else hes just another wasted project. Unless they are willing to make the investment then get whatever we can this offseason and move on.
mhuff24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly id say pryor was real lucky to have the stats he had today. easily couldve had about 4 picks and 0 points. however he did make some plays and i was excited to watch him all game. i pesonally dont like palmer and would like to see him gone but im really not sold on pryor although i would love for him to come back next season with a little more accuracy and start and win some guys for us.
Darkness

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/pryor-i-missed-some-throws-i-could-have-made

Seems like a nice kid. He gave a very honest evaluation of his performance. He just needs to keep on working.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 3 of 36

Jump to: