Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pass Rush
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Pass Rush Reply with quote

I know we were feeling better this season about our pass rush, but I was just perusing PFF's numbers (I know some of you dislike them) and they had us 2nd to last in pass rush rating. That surprised me. While we did increase our sack numbers from last year, our QB hurries overall were down, as well as our hurry percentage. So while we were getting home more often this year, we were disrupting the QB less. The top pass pass rushing team by PFF metrics was the Eagles. They posted a 27.6% disruption rate, a little more than 1 of every 4 pass plays. We were at 20.8%, or 1 every 5 pass plays.

Now this may surprise some of you who don't pay a ton of attention, but guess who was our most disruptive pass rusher. Go ahead, guess. I'll wait. That's right. Clay Matthews. 12.76% of his rushes resulted in a sack, QB hit, or hurry. 2nd most disruptive was Mike Neal at 10.93%. Below I've listed our pass rushers on this percentage. I did not include anyone that was not a pass rusher (IE Woodson blitzing has 43 pass rush snaps)

Clay Matthews 12.76%
Mike Neal 10.93%
Nick Perry 9.52%
Dezman Moses 8.24%
Mike Daniels 7.02%
Erik Walden 6.81%
BJ Raji 6.22%
CJ Wilson 5.56%
Jerel Worthy 2.56%
Ryan Pickett 2.23%

Our best hope for increasing our pass rush? A healthy Nick Perry and more Dezman Moses and Mike Neal. Also an improvement from year 1 to year two for Worthy. Walden was used on 440 pass rush snaps. Perry as only 105, Moses 255. Also more depth at OLB in case of injury. I don't see us resigning Walden. I think Moses and Perry can more than handle his snaps. No point in paying him to be our 4th OLB.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
RG25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read and break down. I've come to noticed quite a few people don't like Moses, I thought he played solid for the year. Obviously he isn't the best but I think he can become a very solid player for this team.
Blink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the pass rush is we only have a select few guys who can win his 1on1s.

Clay and Neal are the most consistent, Perry and Moses next.

Perry has real potential to be a scary edge rusher, Moses IMO will always be just a guy. Moses of course will get better, I just don't think he has the tools to realistically threaten you off the edge on a daily basis.

Outside of Neal, Raji is really the only other interior guy who can push the pocket.

Hopefully Worthy, Daniels, and Perry all keep getting better but IMO we still have a pretty big need for guys who can get after the QB.

Clay can't do it all by himself, and with his recurring hamstring issue he'll most likely miss a game or two next season. IMO defensively we have a massive need for physical front seven guys.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame we keep whiffing on all these draft picks. All these bums on all these important positions. Wish we had better coaches that could actually develop these guys.

Last edited by HyponGrey on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
Shame we keep whiffing on these draft picks. All these bums on all these important positions. Wish we had better coaches that could actually develop these guys.

Pretty sure not serious.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Shame we keep whiffing on these draft picks. All these bums on all these important positions. Wish we had better coaches that could actually develop these guys.

Pretty sure not serious.
Clouded by doubt your mind is MMHMM
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info IAR. The biggest problem I see with Worthy was he really had no 2nd or counter move, if he doesn't win initially he didn't get pressure. That said he has some nice tools for a guy his size, even if he never developes in the pass rush department we will have a high energy run defender.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing Nick Perry may very well have been the defenses undoing. After Bishop, he is probably our most important player that we lost to injury. Get our defense healthy, bring in some more depth on the front 7 and draft a top flight S to pair with Burnett and we have ourself's a defense filled with talent to be a legit force.

Kempes on the custom sig!
Kampman74

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
The problem with the pass rush is we only have a select few guys who can win his 1on1s.

Clay and Neal are the most consistent, Perry and Moses next.

Perry has real potential to be a scary edge rusher, Moses IMO will always be just a guy. Moses of course will get better, I just don't think he has the tools to realistically threaten you off the edge on a daily basis.

Outside of Neal, Raji is really the only other interior guy who can push the pocket.

Hopefully Worthy, Daniels, and Perry all keep getting better but IMO we still have a pretty big need for guys who can get after the QB.

Clay can't do it all by himself, and with his recurring hamstring issue he'll most likely miss a game or two next season. IMO defensively we have a massive need for physical front seven guys.

Don't forget Bish second on the team in sacks last year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

Pretty sure not serious.
Clouded by doubt your mind is MMHMM

A lot of crazy has been going on so I can't remember who is and who isn't. Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't counting ILBs Kamp, only the guys who rush the passer on almost every down. Bishop is a good blitzer, that's not the same thing as a good pass rusher.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to be loading up on pass-rushers at the OLB position. We simply do NOT have any other glaring weaknesses on this team other than at Center, CB, and S. Those three things can improve through 3 solid draft picks and/or guys coming back healthy.
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel Matthews, Perry, Neal, and Daniels are or have the ability to be very good in the pass rush area at position. Sure would be nice to see them all on the damn field at the same time!

Moses and Worthy have some natural rush ability also. But there are things that will hold them back at some level including how they may be used moving ahead.

Either way, we need to get Matthews, Perry, Neal, and Daniels on the field in those spots! If that is not possible......well lets just hope it is.

I still see the front seven on D as a very real draft day need for a host of reasons and hope TT feels the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Moses and Worthy have some natural rush ability also. But there are things that will hold them back at some level including how they may be used moving ahead.
I can understand Worthy, but I'm curious as to what you mean with Moses. He grew up a few mins away, so I have a bit of extra interest in him.
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
I can understand Worthy, but I'm curious as to what you mean with Moses. He grew up a few mins away, so I have a bit of extra interest in him.

Not much to look at on paper. But the kids hungry, has good hands, a high motor, and plays with a VERY physical style. If he gets some more strength along the way you could have a poor mans James Harrison there. Lord knows enough counted Harrison out along the way. Moses has that chip on his shoulder you can't coach though. Just needs to get stronger and learn how to use his natural leverage better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: