Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

An attempt at an offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r_sayle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: An attempt at an offseason Reply with quote

FIRED
Dean Pees

Explanation - This bend and not break defense is not a Ravens defense. were not the formidable Defense that we were and in a division that were in it just doesnt work.

HIRED
Ron Rivera

Explanation - May not be an amazing Head Coach but i think he could be the man to bring the famous D Back to its glory days

Retired or released
Matt Birk
Ed Reed
Cary Williams
Anquan Boldin
Dannell Ellerbe

Free Agent PICK UPS
Sebastien Vollmer
Steve Smith (Rams)
Louis Delmas

ROUND 1 - Barrett Jones (6'4 - 304lbs) OG/C , Alabama

Explanation - theres no hiding the fact that birk is getting on and may likely retire end of this season, jones will be able to step in from day one and be a starter, his ability to play guard is also a huge bonus.

ROUND 2 - Kevin Minter (6'1 - 245lbs) ILB , LSU

Explanation - I personally think Minter is the ideal person to fill Rays boots. He's Instinctive and a very sound tackler that packs a punch, great against the run and effective blitzer but will need to work on his coverage skills to truly take over from ray

ROUND 3 -

Margus Hunt (6'8 - 280lbs) DE , Southern Methodist

Explanation - Possibly the steal of the draft. Hunt is Exceptionally quick for a man of his size. putting him on a DLINE with Ngata would almost be cheating. you also cant have enough depth on Defensive line

Round 4 - Zeke Motta (6'2 - 215lbs) S , Notre Dame

Explanation - Productive Safety whos in my opinion is an all round safety. Good in coverage, Good in run support and mainly a great tackler. Pairing him with Pollard would leave you with to Hard hitting safety.

Round 5 - MICHAEL WILLIAMS (6'6 - 275lbs) TE , Alabama

Explanation - Typical Ozzie pick anyone?? from Alabama, imposing Tight End thats a great run blocker and decent enough hands to keep people guessing

Round 6 - Tyrann Mathieu (5'9 - 168lbs) S/CB/Returner (EX)LSU

Explanation - I will probably hear some stick for this choice but in the 6th Round the guy has huge potential aslong as he keeps his nose clean. it is a gamble granted but in my opinion a gamble worth taking.

Round 7 - Colin Klein (6'5 - 226lbs) QB , Kansas state

Explanation - He's more of a project that could be a diamond in the rough.

what do you think???
draftguru1234

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely bring Ellerbe back. He'll be cheap and at worst hes solid depth at the position.

Moving on from Boldin wouldn't be all that bad, but only if we find someone to replace him, which you didn't really address. Smith is nowhere near the player he used to be, which leaves us pretty thin at the WR position.

I can see Birk retiring, but I get the feeling he comes back for 1 more year.

Vollmer would be an excellent pick-up if NE actually lets him go, which seems unlikely. Delmas would be a nice pick-up as well.

The draft is very solid. Hunt would be great if hes on the board in the bottom of the 3rd.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love Mathieu but I think he's going higher than the 6th. Solid overall though.
janky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Rivera is interesting, I think that's a great option for us. Somehow we need our trademark defense back.

The mock draft looks pretty nice too. Seems like it covers our needs and with quality players. I've been on the Mathieu bandwagon so that's a great pick. Collin Klein could be a solid backup or spot starter, and I think he's capable. Barrett Jones is valuable and can play many positions. They say he "doesn't have a mean streak", but not having a mean streak doesn't mean you can't be successful. The same might be said about Matt Birk and Matt Birk has been successful. Jones has played many o-line positions well in the SEC and seems like a good prospect. Round 2 sounds nice but don't know much about him. I've liked what I heard about Margus Hunt, and then secondary/special teams and TE depth is always nice. If we draft any of these players let alone all of them, I'd be satisfied.

I didn't really agree with your free agency though. I'm hoping Ed is a career Raven, and I wouldn't like if we couldn't re sign him. Ellerbe/Williams/Boldin are quality players and would be missed. I think a veteran receiver and obviously secondary is needed, so I wonder how they handle that. Ozzie seems to shake things up every year so I won't expect anything less.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Dean Pees, I think he'll be around next season unless the defense looks appalling in the playoffs.

The Ravens have shown reluctance to cut ties with coordinators in the past, and Pees has only had one season. A season riddled with injuries to key players, which is something else that I think will work in his favour when justifying a second year.

And I think the defense has improved, since the bye week. But the one thing they need to work on is creating turnovers and getting off the field when the opposing offense is moving the chains.

I would definitely bring Ellerbe back if he's affordable, because I think he's progressed as a player in several significant ways this season. I'd definitely rather see him come back over Cary Williams.

I also don't think the Ravens need to go for a TE in the draft, unless they're thinking of getting rid of Dickson. I wouldn't complain too much if they did that, because he's been a big disappointment as far as I'm concerned.

Regarding Ed Reed, I've been having a few thoughts about letting him go as well. I hate the idea of it, of course, but sometimes the head has to outweigh the heart. He's a player entering the last year or two of his career, who has a history of being awkward when it comes to contract issues, who now has a lengthy history of playing hurt and it looks like that is starting to limit him.

I just don't know if the amount of money he'd want would be justifiable for what he'd bring to the Ravens on the field. Not when the team has such a precarious cap situation and players who need to be tied down to deals.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a few of your players here. Margus Hunt, I like... but there's no way he last beyond the 2nd round... No. Way. Even at his advanced age I still believe his athleticism alone will get him drafted early 2nd, late 2nd at worse. In a passing league that needs pass rushers, he's a guy that should even make some of the freaks in the draft look less freakish. It wouldn't shock me if we took the guy at the tail end of the 1st round if all of our likely targets are off the board (Jordan, Jones, Montgomery, Ansah).

In terms of the 1st round pick being Barrett Jones, I honestly think he's one of our likelier picks as well and I definitely think he will be a guy that we talk to through the draft process. Sure we just selected Gradkowski to be our backup center option, but Jones has been an All Pro at the SEC level against some of the best DL talent in nation at THREE different positions- including LT. And that's why I like him a lot. Our OL needs "something". I'm not exactly sure what it needs, but whatever it needs, I'm sure an offseason with Jones injected into the competition would provide an answer/solution. Mostly I think we need a more consistent option at LT and I believe Jones could beat out Oher at LT and be a Marshal Yanda (when he played RT) kind of presence. Consistent, but not dominant. His smarts would give us someone that can allow us to shift the line around and get the most effective unit out there. A line of Jones, KO, GG, Yanda, Oher would definitely be a ZB fit of a unit IMO with their size and athleticism and since we've taken a lot of ideas from the Texans, that unit looks like it could do similar things from a blocking scheme perspective.

EDIT: In terms of coaching. I doubt we would go with Rivera. Harbaugh, since hiring his staff has gone the line of promoting his coordinators from in-house and rolling with them. That could change obviously, but even if we part ways with Pees- which I think we should (but we likely won'r)- we already have a strong in-house candidate in Ted Monachino. He's coached Kruger into one of the most effective players you see as a pass rusher... with his history with Suggs.. the improvements to Upshaw this season... this man deserves a chance to shine. Seems to really elevate talent as a coach and I usually think that's the best indicator of how a defensive coach will transition to the next step.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed feelings about Barrett Jones. Really smart player and more athletic than most people think. But I don't think he is strong enough to handle NFL nose guards.

Marcus Hunt has probably solidified himself as a top 40 pick.

Not a fan of Mathieu. He makes a lot of big plays but between those big plays all I see is an undersized nickel with average coverage skills and poor tackling. And after he made all these statements about being clean only to get pinched again makes me want nothing to do with him.

LOVE Delmas. I want him so bad if Reed doesn't come back. Definitely our type of player.

Vollmer would be an upgrade over Oher but IDK about him at LT.

Cutting Boldin IMO would be a huge mistake.

Free Ray Rice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: