Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NT Fangupo claimed by Steelers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollins

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: NT Fangupo claimed by Steelers Reply with quote

For week 17 against the Browns, we picked up Hebron Fangupo and brought up Ta'amu from PS. It probably won't happen but I would love to get a good look at both of these young players. I was very high on Fangupo coming out of the draft. Very strong at the point of attack, takes on the double team well, and is versatile along the 3-4. Ta'amu has loads of potential as a 3-4 NT. He has all the natural tools to be dominant in the middle. If we were to go into camp next year with these two and McClendon battling it out for playing time at NT I would be very happy. Throw in Cam, Ziggy, and Kiesel (who I think comes back) and I would be very happy. We would have a lot of youth as well as potential for our front 3. This could save us a draft pick to use on other areas.

Any thoughts on this?
Dook

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just got Kethy all excited.

I wanted Jean Baptiste that draft over Fangupo but as long as he comes cheap I'm all for it.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, we might as well try everything. It's the Browns... Very Happy
3rivers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: NT Fangupo claimed by Steelers Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
For week 17 against the Browns, we picked up Hebron Fangupo and brought up Ta'amu from PS. It probably won't happen but I would love to get a good look at both of these young players. I was very high on Fangupo coming out of the draft. Very strong at the point of attack, takes on the double team well, and is versatile along the 3-4. Ta'amu has loads of potential as a 3-4 NT. He has all the natural tools to be dominant in the middle. If we were to go into camp next year with these two and McClendon battling it out for playing time at NT I would be very happy. Throw in Cam, Ziggy, and Kiesel (who I think comes back) and I would be very happy. We would have a lot of youth as well as potential for our front 3. This could save us a draft pick to use on other areas.

Any thoughts on this?

This could be good news, a player I wanted in the draft late or undrafted. They need another NT and 95 has shown to not be reliable and 98 will probably retire.Next year it will be 90, and hebron at NT.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let Ta'amu play the entire first half
let Fangupo play the entire 2nd half

let the coaching staff decide if we need to look at yet ANOTHER NT candidate in the 1st or 2nd this season, as there are several possible worthy candidates. I don't think we will though.

Hope one of these dudes comes through. I had both Ta'amu and Fangupo as possible mocks to us. It'd be nice if one of these guys pans out so we don't have to worry about that position.

I really hope they don't think McClendon is 'the answer' at NT. I don't think they do, because in the nickel, Ziggy slid over to NT and played far more often than McClendon did (and did noticeably better)
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:

I wanted Jean Baptiste that draft over Fangupo but as long as he comes cheap I'm all for it.

*laughs*

you have a memory like an elephant man. Forgot that was you. Is NJB doing anything? I thought he got injured or something.
Leader O'Cola

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would be nice if he catches on since odds are still high Ta'Amu will be rotting in prison.
rollins

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:

let the coaching staff decide if we need to look at yet ANOTHER NT candidate in the 1st or 2nd this season, as there are several possible worthy candidates. I don't think we will though.

Hope one of these dudes comes through. I had both Ta'amu and Fangupo as possible mocks to us. It'd be nice if one of these guys pans out so we don't have to worry about that position.

I really hope they don't think McClendon is 'the answer' at NT. I don't think they do, because in the nickel, Ziggy slid over to NT and played far more often than McClendon did (and did noticeably better)

Splitting time between these two would be the smart thing to do, but I think we all know the Steelers are not going to make it obvious that they don't care about this game.

I personally think that going with these two is a much better solution than grabbing a high round draft pick. These guys will both have a year of NFL experience under their belts which is big even if their not getting game reps. I personally don't we need a high round NT right now with the way the NFL game is played. A pass rushing OLB and a cover FS are much more of a premium and I would rather spend draft picks there.
Dook

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
Dook wrote:

*laughs*

you have a memory like an elephant man. Forgot that was you. Is NJB doing anything? I thought he got injured or something.

My memory is not the only thing I got like an elephant.

Nick Jean Baptiste was with the Ravens but I think he is a free agent now.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
you have a memory like an elephant

My memory is not the only thing I got like an elephant.

big schnozz, eh? Yeah, it happens.

steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:

I don't think I could possibly agree with any single post more than I am right now. I wish this were the case. Let those two audition for the spot and see if either show promise. I love Big Snack; but his time is clearly up.
rollins

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:

As far as your last statement about McClendon, I thought all year that McClendon has looked very good in his short stints of playing time. He looked amazing in the preseason, and I would like to see him get a chance to compete with the other two young fellas without an incumbent starter around to see who wins the job. As far as your point about the nickel and Ziggy looking better, Ziggy should look better in the nickel becuase those are pass rushing situations and we both know that that is where Ziggy is goin to shine. McClendon as a NT would not be relied on to get a passrush but to be strong at the point of attack and win vs the run. So that really doesn't support your argument about him not being the man for the job because Ziggy would look a lot better than Hamp in nickel at any stage of his career but Hamp still was a dominant NT.

Im not saying I think McClendon is definitely the man, but what I am saying is he has earned the right to fight for that spot as the starter and hopefully he could battle it out with the other two and let the best man win. I feel very strongly that between the 3 of them we would have a very strong NT group.
3rivers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe NT isn't as important anyways. I would prefer a mediocre run D and a better secondary in todays game. I don't know if the top tier/pay NT is of the same value as it once was, while CB's are worth more. If Hebron can play solid, not go to jail and be reliable I think it will work out well enough.

Just read on NFL,com that Harrison is not expected back in 2013. If this happens, it will not be good.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

As far as your last statement about McClendon, I thought all year that McClendon has looked very good in his short stints of playing time. He looked amazing in the preseason, and I would like to see him get a chance to compete with the other two young fellas without an incumbent starter around to see who wins the job. As far as your point about the nickel and Ziggy looking better, Ziggy should look better in the nickel becuase those are pass rushing situations and we both know that that is where Ziggy is goin to shine. McClendon as a NT would not be relied on to get a passrush but to be strong at the point of attack and win vs the run. So that really doesn't support your argument about him not being the man for the job because Ziggy would look a lot better than Hamp in nickel at any stage of his career but Hamp still was a dominant NT.

Im not saying I think McClendon is definitely the man, but what I am saying is he has earned the right to fight for that spot as the starter and hopefully he could battle it out with the other two and let the best man win. I feel very strongly that between the 3 of them we would have a very strong NT group.

I don't disagree with any of that really.
EDIT - except for the part about McClendon being stout against the run. He's not at all. He's a gap shooter that doesn't demand double teams as often

I think McClendon is a noticeably better DE than Ziggy, and I'd like to get some use out of our pisspoor 1st round draft choice from nearly 4 years ago is all.

Last edited by kethnaab on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah Ziggy and McLendon both are interchangables on the defense and personally... I'm somewhat surprised that - Lebeau haven't took advantage of this.

NT isn't a big need... However trend suggest it is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: