Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coaching/Front Office Changes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
HyponGrey


Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 3730
Location: Down the road from NFL Films
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:
You'd think Dorsey would want a situation where he has final say on personel decisons. Reid probably wants that responsibility in KC, and runor has it that the new GM in the Jets will have to retain Ryan. Just say NO, John Dorsey !


They made Phil Emery keep Lovie a year too. Rather than hiring someone right now and do the coaching evaluation/search on the fly, I actually see some sense in sticking with the current coach a year. TT kept Sherman around a year and he had to know that was going to go badly given the fact that he had just taken over half of Sherman's job and become his boss.
Be smart about it, draft enough (preferably defense) to bring the team within a year of success, purposely sabotaging Rex's last year, while not endangering your own career, fire Rex the next season, then draft the final pieces to make a successful team. Your own man in office, and all the pieces you need.
_________________
justo wrote:
Bostick drove a guy 12 yards and finished off with a pancake and I'm not sure where my pants went.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MNPackfan32


Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 7964
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
spilltray wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:
You'd think Dorsey would want a situation where he has final say on personel decisons. Reid probably wants that responsibility in KC, and runor has it that the new GM in the Jets will have to retain Ryan. Just say NO, John Dorsey !


They made Phil Emery keep Lovie a year too. Rather than hiring someone right now and do the coaching evaluation/search on the fly, I actually see some sense in sticking with the current coach a year. TT kept Sherman around a year and he had to know that was going to go badly given the fact that he had just taken over half of Sherman's job and become his boss.
Be smart about it, draft enough (preferably defense) to bring the team within a year of success, purposely sabotaging Rex's last year, while not endangering your own career, fire Rex the next season, then draft the final pieces to make a successful team. Your own man in office, and all the pieces you need.
The problem with taking the Jets job is this. Woody Johnson is a fan, a fan that happens to own a team, he is a celebrity owner just like Jerry Jones. Those types are hard to work for and almost impossible to win with. They are the guys who want to win, want to win now and will do it at any costs, Jerry Jones routinely takes WR's and CB's over line play and always wants to make the "Super Star" pick, thats not how you build a winning team in the NFL. Owners like the Mara family who know they don't know how to build a football team and they trust and support the people who they hire to build it and are willing to wait for the team to be built correctly are the owners that have success. So in short, I'd take the KC job before the Jets job, but really wouldn't want either of them too bad.
_________________



Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HyponGrey


Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 3730
Location: Down the road from NFL Films
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
spilltray wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:
You'd think Dorsey would want a situation where he has final say on personel decisons. Reid probably wants that responsibility in KC, and runor has it that the new GM in the Jets will have to retain Ryan. Just say NO, John Dorsey !


They made Phil Emery keep Lovie a year too. Rather than hiring someone right now and do the coaching evaluation/search on the fly, I actually see some sense in sticking with the current coach a year. TT kept Sherman around a year and he had to know that was going to go badly given the fact that he had just taken over half of Sherman's job and become his boss.
Be smart about it, draft enough (preferably defense) to bring the team within a year of success, purposely sabotaging Rex's last year, while not endangering your own career, fire Rex the next season, then draft the final pieces to make a successful team. Your own man in office, and all the pieces you need.
The problem with taking the Jets job is this. Woody Johnson is a fan, a fan that happens to own a team, he is a celebrity owner just like Jerry Jones. Those types are hard to work for and almost impossible to win with. They are the guys who want to win, want to win now and will do it at any costs, Jerry Jones routinely takes WR's and CB's over line play and always wants to make the "Super Star" pick, thats not how you build a winning team in the NFL. Owners like the Mara family who know they don't know how to build a football team and they trust and support the people who they hire to build it and are willing to wait for the team to be built correctly are the owners that have success. So in short, I'd take the KC job before the Jets job, but really wouldn't want either of them too bad.
You hit it on the head, given the choice between the Jets and the circus there, and being a shelf piece in KC, I pick neither.
_________________
justo wrote:
Bostick drove a guy 12 yards and finished off with a pancake and I'm not sure where my pants went.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CWood21


Moderator
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 35294
Location: 'Merica
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefs gave Andy Reid final say on personnel decision. Could be a major hold up for Dorsey in KC. Might be better off holding put for another season, and then trying to get a GM gig next year since the Jets are a mess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 10396
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Chiefs gave Andy Reid final say on personnel decision. Could be a major hold up for Dorsey in KC. Might be better off holding put for another season, and then trying to get a GM gig next year since the Jets are a mess.


Yeah, the 2 big things I wouldn't want in a GM job are A) Where there is a meddling owner, and B) Where the GM is really just the HC's scouting secretary like that.

Other than that, I don't care how big a mess the team or cap is, it can be fixed if done right, but those two things pretty much guarantee you are going to fail.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CWood21


Moderator
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 35294
Location: 'Merica
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Other than that, I don't care how big a mess the team or cap is, it can be fixed if done right, but those two things pretty much guarantee you are going to fail.


On second thought, the Jets situation might be a good idea. Basically bite the bullet on this year. Cut Sanchez, get Rex Ryan fired, and then basically burn the team to the ground to rebuild it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 10396
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Other than that, I don't care how big a mess the team or cap is, it can be fixed if done right, but those two things pretty much guarantee you are going to fail.


On second thought, the Jets situation might be a good idea. Basically bite the bullet on this year. Cut Sanchez, get Rex Ryan fired, and then basically burn the team to the ground to rebuild it.


Except there owner wants to mess with things from the sound of it. Other than that? Sure I completely agree, it would be a good job.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13167
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@NFLonTheHill
52 ex-NFL players are on coaching staffs of 12 playoff teams...Packers have most (11) ex-players while Pats have fewest (1).

_________________
Pugger wrote:
Pugger? Shocked

#FREEBARRINGTON
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CWood21


Moderator
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 35294
Location: 'Merica
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And again -- not sure if it made it on-air tonight -- John Dorsey is the clear-cut favorite to become KC's GM. Heckert's second on the list.


https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/287364573575647233

Sounds like it's Dorsey's job to turn down. Will he want to play #2 to Andy Reid?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
HiccupGuy


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 1977
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could tell me some stuff about Dorsey? He intrigues me but I don't know much about him. The things that I have heard about him, I like.


Also gratz on the win over the Vikes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Atari-XXX


Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 2022
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like Tom Gamble is the favorite to land the GM job for the Jets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DavidatMIZZOU


Joined: 09 Apr 2009
Posts: 9396
Location: The ZOU
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus he'd have to be a chief. Puke!
_________________
GO PACK GO!

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13167
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MT @JasonLaCanfora: #Packers personnel man John Dorsey interviewing for Chiefs GM job today. The likely choice since Andy Reid got there.

_________________
Pugger wrote:
Pugger? Shocked

#FREEBARRINGTON
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
I Am Rodgers


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 7152
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Quote:
MT @JasonLaCanfora: #Packers personnel man John Dorsey interviewing for Chiefs GM job today. The likely choice since Andy Reid got there.


Darthvadernooooooooo.jpeg
_________________


stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rumless


Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 1517
Location: Chiefs Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clark Hunt has made it repeatedly known since Monday's presser that the GM has final say on draft and personnel.

Anyone wanna talk about him? He has a pretty good track record on paper.
_________________
[quote="aceinthehouse"]I personally do NOT think Lewis is the Greatest MLBer ever.

In fact, I'm not sure he's better than our very own London Fletcher.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group