Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jason Cole: Lovie expected to be safe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Jason Cole: Lovie expected to be safe Reply with quote

Jason Cole from yahoo reporting Lovie is expected to survive for another season

Quote:
Word around the league is that Detroit's Jim Schwartz, the Arizona Cardinals’ Ken Whisenhunt and Chicago’s
Lovie Smith are all expected to survive for another season. That expectation is based largely on the
conservative approach that all three teams have historically taken with firing coaches, particularly when those
coaches have money still owed to them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--di...202447999.html
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I buy the historical arguement because we have a new owner, George McCaskey, and new GM, Phil Emery, running the show.

It could very well be true, but I have my doubts with how Emery works if Jason Cole knows anything.

If Lovie is back why has Phil Emery not come out and said it yet?
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I don't know if I buy the historical arguement because we have a new owner, George McCaskey, and new GM, Phil Emery, running the show.

It could very well be true, but I have my doubts with how Emery works if Jason Cole knows anything.

Why on earth would he is the better question?...you do that you distract everyone from tomorrow’s game and take away some of the importance for the players and coaches...

That said I don’t buy that Cole knows much…he doesn’t really state any kind of source let alone someone with inside knowledge.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Why on earth would he is the better question?...you do that you distract everyone from tomorrow’s game and take away some of the importance for the players and coaches...

That said I don’t buy that Cole knows much…he doesn’t really state any kind of source let alone someone with inside knowledge.

Or you Un-distract than from worrying about their coaches job and their jobs.

Sometimes added pressure is not a good thing. Guys play tight and to on edge to perform well.

I agree Cole sources nothing and it seems like he is reporting other people's speculation.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Sometimes added pressure is not a good thing. Guys play tight and to on edge to perform well.

I agree Cole sources nothing and it seems like he is reporting other people's speculation.

I would rather they went into the game too tight than too relaxed...

If Cole is right it is a relief IMO...still don't see 10 better HCs in football than Lovie.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I would rather they went into the game too tight than too relaxed...

If Cole is right it is a relief IMO...still don't see 10 better HCs in football than Lovie.

Mike Tomlin
John Harbaugh
Bill Belichek
Gary Kubiak
Mike McCarthy
Mike Shannahan
Tom Coughlin
Jim Harbaugh
Jeff Fisher
Sean Payton
Mike Smith

Marvin Lewis and John Fox are both similar to Lovie.

And despite his struggles Andy Ried should be mentioned.

Last edited by WindyCity on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Yeah it just says expected. But as I said the other week this wouldnt surprise me.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing would surprise me with this team and what is going to happen.

It use to be because Jerry was incompetent.

Now it is because Emery is such an unknown.

I think keeping Lovie is a mistake.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--five-nfl-coaches-most-likely-to-get-fired-and-their-potential-replacements-211123019.html;_ylt=Ak_fiPnNgWbqFc1wgirCKExDubYF;_ylu=X3oDMTRqMWM2c3ExBG1pdANMU1RTIE1peGVkIExpc3QgTkZMIEV4cGVydHMEcGtnAzM2MTE1YWYzLWE2OTAtMzdjZS1iZjE2LTY2ZjY4MzExMGVmNgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCTGlzdE1peGVkTFBDQVRlbXAEdmVyA2VmODRkZDYxLTUxYzctMTFlMi1hZGRmLWIwNDY1ZTFhYzFhNA--;_ylg=X3oDMTFoZHY1MWJpBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuZmwEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

The article you posted windy no longer exists. This one is just speculation.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--five-nfl-coaches-most-likely-to-get-fired-and-their-potential-replacements-211123019.html;_ylt=Ak_fiPnNgWbqFc1wgirCKExDubYF;_ylu=X3oDMTRqMWM2c3ExBG1pdANMU1RTIE1peGVkIExpc3QgTkZMIEV4cGVydHMEcGtnAzM2MTE1YWYzLWE2OTAtMzdjZS1iZjE2LTY2ZjY4MzExMGVmNgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCTGlzdE1peGVkTFBDQVRlbXAEdmVyA2VmODRkZDYxLTUxYzctMTFlMi1hZGRmLWIwNDY1ZTFhYzFhNA--;_ylg=X3oDMTFoZHY1MWJpBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuZmwEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

The article you posted windy no longer exists. This one is just speculation.

Thanks Griese.

I do not really get writers that say the Bears are conservative.

What was conservative about Emery's first offseason?
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ Its just speculation on our previous years. Lovie in that article is filed under the category "still could go". Its not easy predicting if some of these coaches are staying or going.

Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Mike Tomlin
John Harbaugh
Bill Belichek
Gary Kubiak
Mike McCarthy
Mike Shannahan
Tom Coughlin
Jim Harbaugh
Jeff Fisher
Sean Payton
Mike Smith

Marvin Lewis and John Fox are both similar to Lovie.

And despite his struggles Andy Ried should be mentioned.

I wouldn’t take Kubiak, Shanahan, Mike Smith or Fisher over Lovie…I certainly wouldn’t put Fox or Lewis in anything like the same class as Lovie…even Coughlin is a push…and Reid…most overrated HC of the last 5 years IMO…never the same without Jim Johnson.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW all of the articles leading up to the end of the 2009 season said Lovie was expected to be fired, and we already know how that played out. Everything is speculation at this point. Everything.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting to resign myself to the fact that Lovie Smith is going to be safe for another year.

I don't want him back, more because I want a new direction and focus on offense.

But I can see with 5 million left on his deal and a saturated coaching market that he will be kept.

It also gives Emery another free year with someone other guys coach. If the Bears stink next year regardless of who's fault it is the blame is going to get hung on Lovie and Emery gets to hire his guy and then the clock really starts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: