Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Did picking Luck cost the Colts a superbowl?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Did picking Luck cost the Colts a superbowl? Reply with quote

So, I was pondering something earlier. If I was the GM of the Colts and had a magic crystal ball that would have told me "Peyton Manning is going to come back and have an MVP caliber year and be a heavy Superbowl favorite come January"... What would I have done? I say that knowing what the Rams got for the #2 overall pick from the Redskins. For those of you who dont remember:

Quote:
Under the deal, the Redskins and Rams will swap first-rounders this year, sources said. The Rams also will receive two future first-round picks and a second-round pick, Rams vice president and chief operating officer Kevin Demoff confirmed to The Sports Xchange after the story first broke

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/washington-redskins-trade-for-st-louis-rams-nfl-draft-pick-robert-griffin-iii-washington-bound-030912

It was 3 first round picks and a second rounder as well.

If I am the Colts and have a chance to keep the bulk of the team that just the year before had gone 10-6 and won the AFC S; but then upgrade my coaching staff and add 3 premium picks over the next 3 years... would I do it?

Think about it -
You have a team that had been to the playoffs every year for ~12 years under Manning. Then add:

A top 10 pick in 2012 + the top pick in every round + an extra second rounder

Plus two first round picks in 2013 and 2014

I think there is a very compelling argument that had that been done, there is a high degree of likelihood the Colts would have won at least one, if not more Superbowls.

Beyond that, they could have fully reloaded their team with young premium picks cheaply under the new wage scale. They could also use one of the extra picks to pick up a high caliber QB to groom behind Manning (for example, Cousins or Wilson).

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a compelling argument. The Colts probably would be immediately better with Manning and with all the extra picks would help make them contenders for the future as well.

But, I don't think you can go wrong getting an Andrew Luck or RGIII when you have a chance to do so.

In fact, I've got to believe the Rams are kicking themselves for not drafting RGIII.

Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you can not go wrong picking a franchise QB. And I dont mean to make the argument that Luck was a bad selection.. it was a great selection. I just wonder about the "What if".

There have been plenty of highly drafted QBs that have had great careers and never won a superbowl.

Manning is arguably the GOAT. Add ~6-7 premium picks to his team and it wouldnt even be fair.

I guess my thought process is this:

Andrew Luck will likely be a very good QB

-BUT-

Is he worth several premium picks (potential high end players) and another World Championship under Manning?

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I look at it this way. P Manning was on the Colts for over 10 years. And in 10 consecutive years, I believe, he won double digit games only to muster 1 SB victory.

The fact that he is winning double digit games in Denver does not surprise me. He is in a total wuss division and last year Denver was only 1 game away from the AFC championship with Tim Tebow as their starting QB! Point is, they already had a solid team, just lacking a solid QB. Enter Manning.

Now, he may have to face his arch-enemy, Brady, in the playoffs and will have considerably more difficult defenses to face in Houston, Baltimore and even Cinncinnati.

He may defeat them and go all the way to the SB, I doubt it, but he may.

Now, the Colts are in the playoffs as well, are they not? They have a young, strong team with lots of room to grow. They may not get there this year, but in 2 or 3 more years I think the Colts owner will be smilling while his team should have multiple years of opportunites at Super Bowl titles while P. Manning will be retiering.

Summary: P. Manning has always shown the aptitude for winning double digit regular season games only to choak in the playoffs. He is at the end of his career, good season or not.

Luck and the Colts are building for the long haul with a new, young and fast team. The game has changed and the Colts are adjusting to the style of play it is today: Fast paced and a lot of passing. A lot of passing leads to a lot of hits on the QB. Luck will be more durable for the long haul.

Just my opinion.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, that Luck is the better long term solution. My thought process was simply: Had the Colts did what the Rams did, would they win a Superbowl in the next year or two?

Manning + Brokers + J Jenkins + I Pead
Plus 2 First rounders
..... It would be ridiculous.

Especially when you look at how much better Manning is playing this year than Luck. Luck has a 76 QBR... Manning a 104.

plan9misfit wrote:

canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Manning would fit well with that Oline they got there in indy. His last year of playing there where we faced him if you remember he struggled alot when his offensive line was terrible. Luck is more mobile which is why he is able to create more plays with that line which I don't think manning would be capable of.

Besides the offensive line in denver is top 5 in the league possibly top 3 hence why manning is excelling so well.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly. I hate the Colts.

They go from Manning to Luck? What kinda of screwed up situation is that. Why can't we go from one Hall of Famer to someone who seems to have a bright future like that? Screw them. Laughing

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
cowboyfanin2890

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason Peyton only has 1 trophy has a lot more to do with his defense than his ability. I know people put everything on the QB, but there are real reasons and exceptions to all things.
green24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

They go from Manning to Luck? What kinda of screwed up situation is that. Why can't we go from one Hall of Famer to someone who seems to have a bright future like that? Screw them. Laughing

At least you have Tony Romo and not Mark Buttfumblin' Sanchez as your QB.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

WTF? Are you seriously arguing that Manning to Luck is better than Aikman to the Q?

The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

At least you have Tony Romo and not Mark Buttfumblin' Sanchez as your QB.

Could you guys imagine Mark Sanchez and Felix Jones on the same team?

Alex, can i have Buttfumbling for the loss for $2000?

JWingate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Colts would have done anything that wouldn't have given them Andrew Luck it would have been a failure. Luck is their next Franchise QB whom is given them the same opportunity to be in the Superbowl as Peyton Manning has given the Broncos.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the foolish part was Jim Irsay cutting Peyton Manning, making him a FA. They should have drafted Luck and had him back up Peyton Manning ala Aaron Rodgers - Brett Favre.

At the very least Irsay could have traded Peyton for more draft picks in the 2012 draft. You just don't up and cut Peyton Manning.

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
buckwild

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember right Peyton was owed a 20 million bonus at the beginning of March. So don't think that was possible due to the salary cap

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
If I remember right Peyton was owed a 20 million bonus at the beginning of March. So don't think that was possible due to the salary cap

That and the unknown extent of his neck injury are pretty much what caused Indianapolis and Peyton to part ways.

^^^mack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: