Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Remixxxxxxxx's offseason overhaul v4
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Remixxxxxxxx's offseason overhaul v4 Reply with quote

COACHING CHANGES

Chip Kelly, Head Coach
Wikipedia.com wrote:
is the head football coach at the University of Oregon. Widely regarded as one of the most innovative offensive minds in college football today,[1][2] Kelly was named the 2009 and 2010 Pac-10 Coach of the Year, 2010 Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year, 2010 Walter Camp Coach of the Year, 2010 Sporting News Coach of the Year, and 2010 Associated Press Coach of the Year. Prior to being named head coach, Kelly was the offensive coordinator for the Oregon Ducks.

Phillip Montgomery, Offensive Coordinator
baylorbears.com wrote:
Philip Montgomery is in his fifth season at Baylor and serves as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. He served as the QB coach for 2011 Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III and calls plays for the Bears' high-powered, record-breaking offense.

As backfield coach in 2011 Montgomery coached two All-Americans -- in addition to mentoring RG3, the most prolific quarterback in school history who set 54 school records, he also tutored future NFL Draftee Terrance Ganaway who set the Baylor single-season records for rushing yards (1,566) and rushing TDs (21).

Pepper Johnson, Defensive Coordinator
Wikipedia.com wrote:
Johnson began his coaching career as an assistant linebackers coach with the Patriots during the 2000 season.[1] Johnson then served as the Patriots' inside linebackers coach from 2001 through 2003, before moving to defensive line coach in 2004. In 2012, he returned to linebackers coach.

Brick Haley, Defensive Line Coach
Wikipedia.com wrote:
Prior to his current tenure at LSU, Haley was the Defensive line coach of the Chicago Bears of the NFL. In two years in the NFL with the Bears, Haley coached a defensive line that helped Chicago rank No. 5 in the league in rushing yards allowed per game in 2008. The Bears finished sixth in the NFL in sacks in 2007 with defensive tackle Tommie Harris earning a spot in the Pro Bowl that year.

Pat Shurmur, Quarterbacks Coach
Wikipedia.com wrote:
Shurmur began working for the Philadelphia Eagles in 1999.

On January 21, 2009, Shurmur was hired by Steve Spagnuolo to be the offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams.
He helped the Rams improve to a 7–9 record following a 1–15 season in 2009, the second-biggest turnaround in the league in 2010. He guided St. Louis’ offense to improvements in nearly every category including total yards, time of possession and third-down percentage, while they also scored 114 more points than the previous year. In addition, the Rams committed just 21 turnovers in 2010, tied for the ninth-lowest total in the NFL.[1]

Jeff Stoutland, Offensive Line Coach
Wikipedia.com wrote:
Stoutland spent the four seasons at Miami as the offensive line coach. In 2010, the Hurricanes led the ACC in total offense and were third in rushing. On November 28, 2010, after Miami's head coach Randy Shannon was fired, Soutland was named interim head coach for the team's bowl game.[2] Miami lost 33-17 to Notre Dame in Stoutland's only game as coach.[3]

On January 14, 2011, Stoutland was named Alabama's offensive line coach, after Joe Pendry retired

Rocky Seto, Defensive Backs Coach
Wikipedia.com wrote:
After playing for the Trojans, Seto joined the coaching staff in 1999 as a volunteer assistant under then-head coach Paul Hackett, working with the defense and special teams. In 2000 he served as an administrative graduate assistant, and with the arrival of head coach Pete Carroll in 2001, he became a graduate assistant involved in the defense, working with the general defense in 2001 and safeties in 2002. In 2003 he became a full coach, in charge of safeties, and from 2004-2005 he coached linebackers. From 2006, he has coached the USC secondary. In 2008, former college teammate Kris Richard joined the staff as a graduate assistant

Curtis Modkins, Running Backs Coach
Wikipedia.com wrote:
Modkins spent time learning under head coach Chan Gailey (while they were at Dallas). After Gailey went to Georgia Tech to become its next head coach Modkins followed, becoming the coach of both running backs and defensive backs. When Gailey was fired from Georgia Tech, Modkins went with him to the Kansas City Chiefs, to coach running backs. Gailey was the offensive coordinator. Modkins left his spot with the Chiefs to coach the same position for the Arizona Cardinals. On January 23, 2010 Gailey named Modkins his offensive coordinator, but when Gailey was hired he said he was going to be running the offensive plays, so Modkins will be mainly teaching the running backs. He was dismissed, along with the entire Bills coaching staff, on December 31, 2012

FREE AGENCY

Richard Seymour, DT, 2 years, 16M deal, 10M guaranteed
Wikipedia.com wrote:
is an American football defensive tackle for the Oakland Raiders of the National Football League. He was drafted by the New England Patriots sixth overall in the 2001 NFL Draft. He played college football at Georgia.

Seymour has played in seven Pro Bowls, has been named to three All-Pro teams, and has been a member of three Super Bowl-winning Patriots teams. Some have considered Seymour to be the best defensive lineman in the NFL.[1][2] He has also been described as the best #6 overall draft pick of all time.[3]

Arrow Why signing Richard Seymour makes sense for the Eagles
Seymour is a monster of a defensive tackle, and is very familiar with Pepper Johnson. He can play both defensive tackle spots, and he can also play defensive end if needed. A two year deal for Seymour makes sense, because he's not exactly a spring chicken, but he's still got some left in the tank. He'll provide an immediate upgrade in the interior, and will form a nice duo with Fletcher Cox

Derek Cox, CB, 3 years, 16M deal, 6M guaranteed
Wikipedia.com wrote:
is an American football cornerback for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Jaguars in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft. He played college football at William & Mary.

Arrow Why signing Derek Cox make sense for the Eagles
With the previously mentioned cut of Asomugah that leaves a hole a cornerback. We insert Derek Cox - a young corner with immense talent. He comes in and form a solid pairing with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. He's struggled with some injuries in his career, but when he's on the field he's a top 15/20 corner.

Gosder Cherilus, OT, 2 years, 6M, 2M guaranteed
Wikipedia.com wrote:
is an American football offensive tackle for the Detroit Lions of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Detroit Lions 17th overall in the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at Boston College.

Arrow Why signing Cherilus makes sense for the Eagles
With the hope of moving Herrermans back inside, and Jason Peters able to return to the left tackle spot, that leaves a hole at right tackle. We sign Cherilus as a kind of stop gap right tackle, and allow he and Kelly to duke it out in training camp for the starting spot - at the very least, he'll provide solid depth if injuries happen, or Kelly goes down.

James Sanders, SS, 1 year deal
Wikipedia.com wrote:
is an American football safety for the Arizona Cardinals of the National Football League. He was drafted by the New England Patriots in the fourth round of the 2005 NFL Draft. He played college football at Fresno State.

Justin Durant, SLB, 2 years, 5M, 2M guarranteed
Wikipedia wrote:
is an American football linebacker for the Detroit Lions of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Jaguars in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft. He played college football at Hampton University.

Arrow Why signing Durant makes sense for the Eagles
We've recently moved Kendricks to the weakside where he has played much better. However, that leaves us with a hole at strongside linebacker, and Chaney is not the answer. We go out and get a decent strongside linebacker, who is very solid, but not spectacular. It gives us our best linebacking core in some time.

Drew Stanton, QB; 1 year
Wikipedia wrote:
is an American football quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft. He played college football at Michigan State.

PLAYERS RELEASED/NOT RE-SIGNED

Michael Vick, QB
Queen Duncrap, OT
Demetress Bell, OT
Chris Polk, RB
Evan Moore, TE
Greg Salas, WR
Matt Tenant, C
Matt Kopa, OT
Emil Igwenagu, FB[PS]
Jake Scott, OG
Derek Landri, DT
Ryan Rau, LB
David Simms, S
Brandon Hughes, CB
Daryl Tapp, DE
Nnamdi Asomugah, CB
Anyone else not listed on the DC

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, 5 years, 35M
Jason Peters, OT, 2 years, 16M
Akeem Jordan, 2 years, 3M

DRAFT TRADES

The Philadelphia Eagles trade the fourth overall selection in the 2013 NFL draft to the St. Louis Rams for the seventeenth selection in the first, second, and fourth rounds, and a future first round selection.

- Why does this trade make sense for St. Louis?
Everyone knows the Rams have plenty of ammo to move up and grab their biggest area of need, an offensive tackle. With this move it puts St. Louis above Arizona, New York Jets, and San Diego, which gives them a chance to land their choice of Texas A&M tackles. It also allows St. Louis to hang on to one of their other first round selections this year, by giving up a future first round selection. The Rams are only a few pieces away from being a playoff squad, and a real contender, and offensive tackle is the biggest missing piece.

- Why does this trade make sense for Philadelphia?
It gives the Eagles the chance to stockpile picks, and the chance to move towards the middle of the first round. It also provides a very good start to the rebuilding process by aquiring a future first round selection. We'll have the chance to add multiple impact players, and multiple depth players with this trade, and this will provide us the chance to fill some of our bigger needs in the first two rounds of the draft. It's much like the Julio Jones to Atlanta trade, it's a trade aimed at the future, as opposed to being a "now" trade.

NFL DRAFT

1.17 // Keenan Allen, WR, California

- Why does this pick make sense for the Eagles?
This selection provides us with the trait we've been missing the most out of our wide receivers - physicallity. We get a wide receiver who is very physical, very strong, very strong hands. We're aquiring a kid who can go up and attack the ball at the highest point. He's very quick, and very explosive and has the ability to just physically impose opposing defensive backs. We'll be able to land Nick Foles, or whoever our future quarterback is, a reliable target for many years to come.

2.4 // Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

We've been lacking a threat at tight-end for some time now, and while Celek is a good tight end, he's not overly special at anything. We get a stud of a tight end in Eifert - he's a very good receiver, he's got sticky hands, attacks the ball, and is also very good over the middle of the field. He's not a great blocker yet, but with some work, he has the body type to become a punishing blocker.

2.17 // Tony Jefferson, FS, Oklahoma

Even though we're able to sign Chung, we still have a hole at the other safety spot. We currently have been starting Nate Allen, Colt Anderson, and Kurt Coleman, which is awful. We're able to land one of the top safety prospects here. What we're getting in Jefferson is a very versatile prospect - he's got great speed, can play either safety spot, is very good in coverage, and is also a very good tackler. We pair Jefferson and Chung and suddenly our safety issue are resolved.

3.4 // EJ Manuel, QB, Florida State

As many of us know, new regimes, mean new quarterbacks. Howver, our situation is a little different in the sense that we already have a young quarterback. I don't think that's going to stop the staff from wanting their own quarterback, but I do believe it will make them wait til later in the draft. We're getting a quarterback who has all the tools to succeed, just has some work that needs to be done - he's big, fast, big arm, strong runner. He has to work on his accuracy, his descion making, and his consistency, but he's got the right tools.

4.4 // Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin

This selection allows us to get an offensive tackle of the future[right or left, i believe he's a RT], we can groom him behind two veterans in Peters and Cherilus, and have him develop. He's a very good run blockers, has decent pass blocking skills, good technique - he's that mauler type of offensive lineman we've been dieing for. He comes from a good program of turning out NFL lineman, and can hopefully develop into a starter.

4.17 // Kevin Reddick, LB, North Carolina

This is more of a luxury pick, and we snag the BPA in the middle of the fourth round. We're getting someone who can playing in the middle, and the strongside, and who's a very seasoned player. He's got some crazy athletic ability for a guy his size, and can straight up fly around, but he lacks some other football skills. He'd be well served learning the spot from DeMeco Ryans, and improving his tackling/instincts.

5.4 // Michael Buchanan, DE, Illinois

We're going to attempt to get younger across the defensive line - as evident by Darryl Tapp not be resigned, and Babin being cut. Buchanan is currently a work in progress - he needs to fill out his frame, and add more moves to his arsenal. He's good at getting off the snap, got some decent techinque, and is a pretty good run defender. He has some ways to go before being anything, but he's a nice developmental pick.

6.32 // Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State

We don't know what we're getting with Jason Kelce coming back from injury, or if he's more the just a scheme specific player. We look to draft a center late, and that where we land Richburg. He's kind of an unknown type prospect at this point, and should be a later round pick in either the 2013 or 2014 nfl draft. He's a very good run blocker, and is just decent in pass protection. He could be a very nice selection here and should look to start in 2013.

7.4 // Jackson Rice, P, Oregon

7.10 // Keith McGill, CB, Utah

OFFENSE
QB - Nick Foles, Drew Stanton, EJ Manuel
RB - LeSean McCoy, Bryce Brown, Dion Lewis
FB - Stanley Havilli
WR - DeSean Jackson, Riley Cooper
WR - Keenan Allen, Jason Avant
WR - Jeremy Maclin, Damarius Johnson
TE - Tyler Eifert, Brent Celek
LT - Jason Peters, Ricky Wagner/Dennis Kelly
LG - Todd Herremans, Weston Richburg
C - Weston Richburg, Jason Kelce
RG - Evan Mathis, Danny Wastekins
RT - Gosder Cherilus, Dennis Kelly/Ricky Wagner

DEFENSE
DE - Trent Cole, Vinny Curry
DT - Richard Seymour, Cullen Jenkins
DT - Fletcher Cox, Cedric Thornton
DE - Brandon Graham, Phillip Hunt, Michael Buchanan
WLB - Mychal Kendricks, Casey Matthews, Akeem Jordan
MLB - DeMeco Ryans, Kevin Reddick
SLB - Justin Durant, Jamar Chaney
CB - Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie, Curtis Marsh
CB - Derek Cox, Keith McGill
CB - Brandon Boykin
FS - Nate Allen, Tony Jefferson
SS - James Sanders, Kurt Coleman
ST - Akeem Jordan, Colt Anderson

2014 NFL DRAFT

1.14 // Antonio Richardson, LT, Tennessee
1.22 // Anthony Johnson, DT, Louisiana State

Last edited by Remixxxxxxx on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I like Seymour. I really like Cox. Cherilus is okay especially if we have him fight with Kelly for the RT spot. I think you're overpaying Chung.

Coach Staff I really like, I would prefer to get an experienced guy at DC or Ken Norton (LB Coach from Seattle, but he's also Asst. HC and a Pete Carroll guy). Other than that I like it a lot. And I don't know the OC, and I don't know if I'm 100% comfortable with him.

I think we have bigger needs than WR, but overall I like the draft.

I would be pleased if this happened.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Kiltman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems like a ton for the Rams to give up. We'd probably have to add something of around a third round value for it to check out....like Desean maybe?

I like Allen he's a tough big Reciever who goes and gets it....and plays from the slot a lot too. Terrance Williams is still my number 1 WR....but Allen is fine

Everything else is fine, though I don't want to spend much of anything in FA this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly is a run first guy, why would he come in and draft receivers?

Seems like something he probably wouldn't bother to do.
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
Kelly is a run first guy, why would he come in and draft receivers?

Seems like something he probably wouldn't bother to do.

Probably because we already have two good runningbacks, and it's a need. He's seen Keenan Allen play probably every game of his since being at California. He's the best player available there, easy pick.

I think him drafting Eifert will come down to him relating with BB - they seem to respect the heck out of each other so maybe Chip will think that he needs his won Gronkowski.
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Coach Staff I really like, I would prefer to get an experienced guy at DC or Ken Norton (LB Coach from Seattle, but he's also Asst. HC and a Pete Carroll guy). Other than that I like it a lot. And I don't know the OC, and I don't know if I'm 100% comfortable with him.

I think we have bigger needs than WR, but overall I like the draft.

Pepper Johnson has worked with the Patriots defense since 2000, he's very experienced.

As far as Montgomery goes, it's not very realistic, just something a bit different. I think everyone is tired of seeing Norv Turner and the hot names, so I figured I'd spice it up with an unknown guy.
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiltman wrote:
That seems like a ton for the Rams to give up. We'd probably have to add something of around a third round value for it to check out....like Desean maybe?

I like Allen he's a tough big Reciever who goes and gets it....and plays from the slot a lot too. Terrance Williams is still my number 1 WR....but Allen is fine

Everything else is fine, though I don't want to spend much of anything in FA this year.

I think you're right about the trade - I considered tossing Maclin in there to even it out, which I may do.

I tried to keep the free agency as realistic as possible, obviously Chung and Seymour are big names, but they both have experience with our coaching staff.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remixxxxxxx wrote:
Quote:

Pepper Johnson has worked with the Patriots defense since 2000, he's very experienced.

But have he called a defense before?

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Remixxxxxxx wrote:
Quote:

But have he called a defense before?

I don't believe so, but he's certainly got the experience to do so. He's worked under some of the top defensive units[and coaches] in the league. I'd say he's a fantastic candaite for the defensive coordinator spot.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What offense do you have kelly running in the NFL?
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
What offense do you have kelly running in the NFL?

I think it will slighly resemble what New England does, with a bit more running involved, a sort of wide open style of offense[which is similar to what Montgomery does at Baylor]. I think we'll run the ball enough, but we'll also need weapons on the outside. He could also go with a read type[think Carolina/Wash] if he decides to go with Manuel.
baconrad3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free agency sucks....Seymour is old and Cox is like 28-29....we need young guys not veteran free agents who we overpay....this isn't 2011.

WAYtoo much money for Chung he flat out sucks...dude wasBENCHED almost the whole year.

Draft is okay.....I wouldn't mind going WR tight end 1-2..==would rather go defense tho.

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Free agency sucks....Seymour is old and Cox is like 28-29....we need young guys not veteran free agents who we overpay....this isn't 2011.

Seymour is only on a two year deal, and Cox is only 26 years old. I think the onyl think we're overpaying on is safety, because everyone else is getting a fair deal.
baconrad3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather sign no safety than give Chung 24mil....

Cox is 26???? Then I like him. Abut he'll get wayyy more $

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
eaglesfan10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be extremely happy with this off-season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: