Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sam Shields
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDN40

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Sam Shields Reply with quote

I think this guy has flown under the radar a bit when it comes to mock drafts and mock off-seasons on this forum. Will it be as uncomplicated as everyone thinks to keep him ? Yes, he is a restricted free agent, but I wonder if he may be a target by other teams to give up a pick to nab him ? I love the DB situation we have and I think Shields is a pretty valuable wildcard to have in the sense that he is young, and has that top end speed that doesn't often accompany a CB of that size. I'm not saying our other CB's are slow, but it's pretty comforting to know that if we come across a burner WR, we have Sam in our back pocket.

What do you guys think it will take to sign him ? I think it may take a pretty penny, which is fine by me, but just wondering in the grand scheme of the Raji Rodgers Matthews contracts, how this may affect things.

TT: Sam we really want to sign you
Sam: I want a billion dollars
TT: You're gonna look pretty silly playing for the Ravens with a Packer neck tattoo. Ray Lewis will want to scrape that off - could get ugly.
Sam: Doh !

Last edited by SDN40 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sam Shields Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
I think this guy has flown under the radar a bit when it comes to mock drafts and mock off-seasons on this forum. Will it be as uncomplicated as everything thinks to keep him ? Yes, he is a restricted free agent, but I wonder if he may be a target by other teams to give up a pick to nab him ? I love the DB situation we have and I think Shields is a pretty valuable wildcard to have in the sense that he is young, and has that top end speed that doesn't often accompany a CB of that size. I'm not saying our other CB's are slow, but it's pretty comforting to know that if we come across a burner WR, we have Sam in our back pocket.

What do you guys think it will take to sign him ? I think it may take a pretty penny, which is fine by me, but just wondering in the grand scheme of the Raji Rodgers Matthews contracts, how this may affect things.

TT: Sam we really want to sign you
Sam: I want a billion dollars
TT: You're gonna look pretty silly playing for the Ravens with a Packer neck tattoo. Ray Lewis will want to scrape that off - could get ugly.
Sam: Doh !

I've seen several Eagles fans talk about taking him. Then again, they also say he leaves because he doesn't start.
We'll put at least a second round tender on him.
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think him and Hayward getting a second contract is more important than Tramon Williams' next contract.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sam Shields Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
We'll put at least a second round tender on him.

Slap the first round tender on him, and dare another team to sign him. If they want to cough up a first round pick AND the contract, than so be it.
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think only one RFA has changed teams in the last four years. Slap a first round tender on him if you can't make a long term deal and there is zero chance he is going anywhere.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:
I think only one RFA has changed teams in the last four years. Slap a first round tender on him if you can't make a long term deal and there is zero chance he is going anywhere.

yep, he's pretty easily worth a 1st round tender.
SDN40

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will obviously put a high tag on him, but what does everyone think the final numbers will be ? I honestly don't know if we can steal him for something like 4 years 16 million. I wonder if it will take more like 4 years 28 million. That's significant with regards to our cap situation. It seems like he is every bit as valuable as Tramon right now, but dont know if that will transfer to $ amounts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep slappa dappa do a first round tender on him.

would rather let tramon williams go than lose shields. *ducks*

El Ramster on the amazing work
EB29

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think previous history from TT can come into play here. If Sam signs a short 3 year deal at a reasonable value with the idea that he will get much closer to top CB money after 2 more years of development. He knows that the staff will pay him accordingly. And he is still getting a healthy raise ideally.

JTagg7754 with the Dope Sig ^^

Jon Gruden wrote:
Great Snatch catch ability there by Nicks
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should explain what the tender entails. I understand the basics, but in terms of contract negotiations and what not I'm a little lost.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
We will obviously put a high tag on him, but what does everyone think the final numbers will be ? I honestly don't know if we can steal him for something like 4 years 16 million. I wonder if it will take more like 4 years 28 million. That's significant with regards to our cap situation. It seems like he is every bit as valuable as Tramon right now, but dont know if that will transfer to $ amounts
I actually think Shields will re-sign fairly cheap. One year of starting, however well he has done, really doesn't mean you get top dollar. I'm fairly certain it will be a team friendly deal
jfinley88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember when we were talking about cutting him five months ago...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:

who the hell was doing that?

prolly the same people that wanted to cut finley 5 weeks ago and draft a RB in the first round

El Ramster on the amazing work
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:
And it was fueled by the idiots who sit at the training camp practices talking about him being a worse CB than Jarrett freaking Bush. I am and always have been a big Sam Shields fan and I was really against releasing him, gladly those morons don't run our team...

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Someone should explain what the tender entails. I understand the basics, but in terms of contract negotiations and what not I'm a little lost.

There are four possible tenders you can offer. For this sake, I'll call them Level 1,2,3, and 4.

KC_Guy wrote:
Level 1: 1,323,000 $ (ROFR)
Level 2: 1,323,000 $ or 110% of 2012 salary (Original Round Pick)
Level 3: 2,023,088 $ or 110% of 2012 salary (Second Round Pick)
Level 4: 2,878,628 $ or 110% of 2012 salary (First Round Pick)

Basically, if you tender your RFA a Level 1 you only get the right of first refusal (or to match the contract) if some team signed him to an offer sheet. If you tender Level 2, you get the right to match that contract or allow him to leave and in return you get the pick that player was originally used on. So if he was a former 3rd round pick, you get a third round pick in return. Level 3 means you get the right to match, and if you choose not to get a second round pick in return. Same thing with Level 4 except you get a first round pick instead.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: