Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Revisiting our pursuit of Peyton Manning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Revisiting our pursuit of Peyton Manning Reply with quote

I just wanted some opinions on our pursuit of Payton Manning. Denver was 8-8 last season now they are on a 10 game win streak sitting at 12-3 with a chance of being the #1 seed this weekend. They are 4th in total offense this year compared to 25th in points and 20th in yards last year. Do you guys think that if we got Manning that our offense would be in the top 5 this year? I like the potential Kaep brings but he's still an unproven guy due to this being his first season starting. I'm not really trying to get into our QBs on this roster, more trying to get opinions on the "what if" that Manning could have made this team into.

Thoughts?

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how it would have gone. Peyton is pretty much an offensive coordinator on the field. It would have clashed with Harbaugh/Roman's philosophy, I guess. Some analysts attributed Denver's slow start (2-3) to the implementation of Peyton's offense. I don't know if Peyton would have wanted to install his offense with us too, or if he would have gone with what Harbaugh and Roman had in place. My guess is that he chose Denver in part because he would be given the freedom to bring in his offense and his guys (Stokley and Tamme). But if he had been willing to play our game, while implementing some of his, we might still be undefeated right now, seeing how our D, running game and OL are better, in my opinion, than Denver's. He wouldn't have had to throw too much early in the year, while he was getting his arm back, and his decision making would have won a few more games down the stretch (the two Rams games, at least. And it would have made the Giants game epic... Niners vs giants after the NFCCG, and Eli vs Peyton).

But it was hard to tell back in March. Even in September, Peyton's arm seemed weak (and still does. He floats a lot more balls than he used to), and that clearly affected his game. I'm glad he's back to a high level of play. I've always enjoyed watching Peyton control an offense.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
straighthate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hindsights always 20/20, but I didn't think there was any way Manning could hold up for a whole season. So just from that, I'd still say I would have thought the same way. I'm also not an expert on our cap and all that, but I'm assuming we would have either had to cut a few people or would be cutting some people this coming offseason because of his cap hit.
mrscottso

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With our D, I bet we would've either been undefeated or just had one loss.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
BigBruh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said before, the biggest thing Manning would have brought is a change in offensive philosophy. We'd be a lot more smooth and productive. And would most likely be the best team in the NFL by a wide margin. I'm happy with what we've discovered with the Kaeptain, but still...
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still wondering about this Steady?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it was Manning who put the nail in the coffin for the Broncos. Should have thrown that ball away to have another play...there was no zip on that ball at all. And, he should not have knelt at the end of regulation time with two timeouts available! Holliday was a huge percentage of their scoring. Without him, there would not have been any need for OT.
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
And it was Manning who put the nail in the coffin for the Broncos. Should have thrown that ball away to have another play...there was no zip on that ball at all. And, he should not have knelt at the end of regulation time with two timeouts available! Holliday was a huge percentage of their scoring. Without him, there would not have been any need for OT.

His arm was not there that day. It's difficult to say he was wearing down towards the end of the season because he still played a high level in the closing weeks, but he wasn't himself that game.

Wasn't it Fox's call to take the knee?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:

His arm was not there that day. It's difficult to say he was wearing down towards the end of the season because he still played a high level in the closing weeks, but he wasn't himself that game.

I'm certain it was Fox's call, but I would expect Manning to argue that...NEVER play for OT! EVER.
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:

I'm certain it was Fox's call, but I would expect Manning to argue that...NEVER play for OT! EVER.

Have to agree with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if we did get Manning he wasnt a long term solution and he costs too much when we need to sign our own guys to contracts like some guys on the D
xXFlyteXx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when thinking about the "What if?"..

I think of what could have not happened.

#1 - Kaepernick could still be on the sidelines (He is fun to watch) not gaining the Exp he will need for forseable future.

#2 - how would Peytons cap dollars affected us when it came to resigning Bowman (would we still have extended him when we did?) and Goldson coming up this offseason and the many guys coming up with him.

#3 - Alex Smith having a chance to build on last season,I for one am happy for Alex he will get a starting job next year. He is a Class Act.

I was never sold on his health and coming to this Division where we got Seattles Def,Arizonas Def, and the Rams arent to shabby either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger9er08 wrote:
even if we did get Manning he wasnt a long term solution and he costs too much when we need to sign our own guys to contracts like some guys on the D
The money is the big thing that stopped us from getting him I think. 1 player isn't worth that much loot. We wouldn't be able to get key guys back here. I only wanted the switch when Alex was our starter. I thought Manning would be way better. Ask me now though, I'll take Kaep all day everyday.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
MrDuke32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peyton costs way too damn much. End of story.

NFL: San Francisco 49ers
MrDuke32 wrote:
Why is Shia LaBeouf always screaming?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: