Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sun Times: Bears in strong salary cap position
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Sun Times: Bears in strong salary cap position Reply with quote

There will be an incremental increase in the salary cap to $121 million, and the Bears’ combined cap number of their top 41 players is about $14.5 million under that. That includes a carryover of space from this season.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/17253566-606/bears-enjoy-the-luxury-of-salary-cap-space.html
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even being top 10 in salary cap available the key will still be the resign our own key free agents like Henry Melton…then decide what we are going to do with Urlacher…if we cut Davis as well we are up to $16.9 million in cap space…that should be enough to then sign a quality Olinemen before focusing on the draft and then resigning Cutler…I think we will still look to build through the draft more than anything.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Even being top 10 in salary cap available the key will still be the resign our own key free agents like Henry Melton…then decide what we are going to do with Urlacher…if we cut Davis as well we are up to $16.9 million in cap space…that should be enough to then sign a quality Olinemen before focusing on the draft and then resigning Cutler…I think we will still look to build through the draft more than anything.

Add roughly 2.5 for Hester and we are at 19.4 million.

We may not need to restructure anyone's deal although I would be okay with Marshall since he will be here 5 years.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

We may not need to restructure anyone's deal although I would be okay with Marshall since he will be here 5 years.

I'm still struggling to see them cutting Hester.
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

I'm starting to think it's more likely. Especially with his comments to the media about not being happy with how often he's getting the ball.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

I'm starting to think it's more likely. Especially with his comments to the media about not being happy with how often he's getting the ball.

He really doesn’t have a leg to stand on with this complaint…he has done nothing with the opportunities he has had this year.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

He really doesn’t have a leg to stand on with this complaint…he has done nothing with the opportunities he has had this year.

The only reason to keep him would be sentimental and Emery has no sentimental connection to him.

Hester is done. It sucks because we all remember the opening kickof the Superbowl and the record breaking Monday night game, but he offers little on the field.

I expect Emery will move on from a couple of sentimental favorites in Brian Urlacher and Devin Hester.

Holding onto guys too long letting your team get old and over paid is a franchise killing mistake.
Nads786

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

The only reason to keep him would be sentimental and Emery has no sentimental connection to him.

Hester is done. It sucks because we all remember the opening kickof the Superbowl and the record breaking Monday night game, but he offers little on the field.

I expect Emery will move on from a couple of sentimental favorites in Brian Urlacher and Devin Hester.

Holding onto guys too long letting your team get old and over paid is a franchise killing mistake.

So much truth in this post. A good GM will get rid of players regardless of what they brought you in the past. Look at NEP they got rid of Richard Seymor Ty Law etc etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

Yea. I probably wouldn't make such a great GM. It must be tough to go and tell a team legend that he's no longer going to be with the team. A person you've shared success with and has been loyal to your franchise for as long as they've been with you. Tough.

Shoutouts to Delphi on the sig!

Adopt-a-Bear: Matt Blanchard l QB l #4 l P-Squad
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the differences you guys aren't realizing, and no one wants to hear it, but its the struggle a GM has to make between what's good for the team and what's good for the franchise. In NE the faces of the franchise are Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. Anyone else the fans aren't going to get too upset over losing, but you can bet that if BB goes to Tom Brady before he's ready to leave the game and says, Tom, we're going in a different direction, NE Pats fans will burn the stadium down. Anybody else its business, but w/ the face of the franchise its not business, its about fandom.

Brian Urlacher and Devin Hester have been the faces of this franchise for the last decade, moreso w/ Brian obviously. Now w/ Marshall on the team it makes it a little easier to part ways w/ Devin, but don't think there wouldn't be legions of fans calling for Emery's head if Devin went somewhere else and had another great year, while the Bears struggled in the return game. W/ Brian Emery is in a super tough spot, b/c its the end of his career. You want to let Brian walk away on his own terms, but its probably time for him to hang em up. Emery would lose a lot of fan support and probably locker room support if it became a messy divorce.

Urlacher and Hester still sell jersey's, still put butts in the seats. Keeping them on the team is still good for the FRANCHISE, but parting ways w/ 1 or maybe both may be better for the team.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Here's the differences you guys aren't realizing, and no one wants to hear it, but its the struggle a GM has to make between what's good for the team and what's good for the franchise. In NE the faces of the franchise are Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. Anyone else the fans aren't going to get too upset over losing, but you can bet that if BB goes to Tom Brady before he's ready to leave the game and says, Tom, we're going in a different direction, NE Pats fans will burn the stadium down. Anybody else its business, but w/ the face of the franchise its not business, its about fandom.

Brian Urlacher and Devin Hester have been the faces of this franchise for the last decade, moreso w/ Brian obviously. Now w/ Marshall on the team it makes it a little easier to part ways w/ Devin, but don't think there wouldn't be legions of fans calling for Emery's head if Devin went somewhere else and had another great year, while the Bears struggled in the return game. W/ Brian Emery is in a super tough spot, b/c its the end of his career. You want to let Brian walk away on his own terms, but its probably time for him to hang em up. Emery would lose a lot of fan support and probably locker room support if it became a messy divorce.

Urlacher and Hester still sell jersey's, still put butts in the seats. Keeping them on the team is still good for the FRANCHISE, but parting ways w/ 1 or maybe both may be better for the team.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts entirely....ESPECIALLY with Urlacher....I said it in another thread and got no response but you guys do realize that when Urlacher is gone, he is GONE, right?

We say get rid of him so casually on here but his replacement is not just going to be Urlacher 2, haha.....his replacement will be an entire year with Nick Roach with some rookie backing him up.

Not only that, but pretty much every time Urlacher goes out we have lost, including THIS YEAR!! It makes no sense to move on from Urlacher if he still gives us the best chance to win AND like superman said, sells jersey's. Why would we let Urlacher go and get WORSE next year?? Makes no sense.

As far as Hester, im starting to agree with you guys simply because Cutler doesnt like him.....I dont know what it is but Cutler just doesnt like Hester.....the Bears do a good job of keeping stuff internal but watching those 2 play....Cutler just doesnt like him.

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman makes a fantastic point..it really is going to be a complicated situation if Urlacher isn't ready to hang up the cleats and Emery is ready to move on from him. Could get ugly.

Fans would not be happy with Emery...unless... the changes he makes win us a championship. Very simple, win and all is forgiven in the NFL.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Locker room change Reply with quote

Locker room change is part of the NFL. It happens every year. Guys like Montana, Rice, Namath and Favre did not retire in the same organization that drafted them. Sending Hester packing is an easy business decision. Urlacher will be a pure dollar and cents decision for Emery. And btw The Bears will still sell a boatload of #54 jerseys regardless if Brian is a Bear this next year or not.
abdi7451

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with Hester leaving or just being exclusively special teams, but Urlacher. I love Urlacher. I'm hoping he can finish his career here in Chicago.

Shoutouts to Delphi on the sig!

Adopt-a-Bear: Matt Blanchard l QB l #4 l P-Squad
IronMike84

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRRLacher wrote:
Superman makes a fantastic point..it really is going to be a complicated situation if Urlacher isn't ready to hang up the cleats and Emery is ready to move on from him. Could get ugly.

This city's sports fans are so fickle, they probably won't care that much. The level of Urlacher hate has been inexplicably high since 2007 anyway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: