Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 17 in the NFL - the don of BLACK MONDAY!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Week 17 in the NFL - the don of BLACK MONDAY!!!! Reply with quote

With the proverbial ax about to drop on a number of heads, here are the first few:

Jets Firing GM and Sparano:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=508860

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=508556

S. Jackson considering retirement?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=508829

^^^^^^ I would LOVE for us to bring him in as a back up

Sherman wins appeal

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=508776

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Oakland Raiders put the defensive tackle on the injured reserve Thursday because of a hamstring injury that has kept him out of the past seven games. Seymour’s contract will void after the season, and he will be a free agent. There is still $5.26 million in bonus proration remaining that will count against Oakland’s salary cap.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/69186/was-richard-seymour-era-a-success

Think Think Think

Another guy I would look at... Of course with the obvious caveat of price.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bobby April has made 12 stops in his coaching career, including six NFL stops in 20 years.

Todd Bowles has coached with eight different teams in the last 17 years.

Marty Mornhinweg has been in Philly since 2004 but has coached in 10 different cities since 1985.

They all know the reality facing them today. Most likely, Andy Reid will be fired on Monday. Most likely, they’ll be fired too. Most likely, they’ll be looking for the 13th stop, the ninth stop, the 11th stop in their coaching career by Tuesday morning.

This is the life of an NFL assistant coach. And no matter how many times you’ve been through it, it doesn’t get any easier.

“You can’t control it,” Bowles said. “So you try not to let it kill you.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/eagles-talk/Eagles-assistants-facing-uncertain-futur?blockID=817727&feedID=704

plan9misfit wrote:

Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bobby April, meet Jerry's pocket book. How many zero's did you say?

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Ace5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on Sparano returning as O-Line coach, with Callahan focusing solely on OC duties? I wouldn't be against it.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with Norv Turner about to get chopped, any chance he comes here? AND if he does there is a FA OG on the Chargers by the name of Louis Vasquez, 4 year veteran, 320 lbs and a solid player. I would love to see him in a Cowboys uniform. That would take care of 1 of our O line problems and we could focus on a C or DL with the 1st pick in the draft.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace5 wrote:
Any thoughts on Sparano returning as O-Line coach, with Callahan focusing solely on OC duties? I wouldn't be against it.

We don't really know what Callahan brings as a OC here in Dallas, but we do know that he has gotten a O line with some serious lack of talent on the inside to play almost decent after being probably among the worst three o lines in the NFL. So we do know that we have a good o line coach.

- I say keep Callahan as the o line coach, and either try and get Norv Turner or let Garrett keep the duty since he has looked as he is finally getting it after having a decent o line and a healthy HB.

Would not hire a OC who would change the system which might would lead someone (Dez) to not have as good a season as he could have next year because of confusion. I would only hire a OC, if it's a big name. Like Norv Turner, who also runs a offensive scheme which reminds a lot of Garretts.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace5 wrote:

I'd stay away from Sparano. His playcalling abilities seem to be vastly overrated from stints in Miami and New York. Callahan is doing a fine job with the o-line given what he has to work with right now, and I still say that he is OC in name only.

I think we see Callahan "give up" that OC title as Garrett hires someone to actually take over playcalling duties, allowing Callahan to do what he does best: coach the o-line.

^^^mack
Ace5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:

I think we see Callahan "give up" that OC title as Garrett hires someone to actually take over playcalling duties, allowing Callahan to do what he does best: coach the o-line.

This I highly doubt. Thats a major shot across the jaw, demoting someone in as public a position as offensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys. Even if he's OC in title only, he's still got the title, which has far more cachet than OL Coach. And we're talking about a former HC too. So he's been up and down the board. He might have his eyes on another HC job at some point in the future, and graciously accepting a demotion won't do anything to help that; rather, it shows a lack of fortitute and willpower to rise to the top, hurting future chances at jobs.

I've never understood why so many people think coaches will just take demotions. Even if they do, who the heck is going to want to be OC in Dallas with not just one but the last TWO OC's on staff? "Oh gee you're doing an eh job, but we've got two candidates to replace you on staff already, so goodbye." There's no job security for a Norv Turner or any other OC when so many other options exist on the roster.

There's no way I see Callahan taking a demotion. Unless I'm gravely mistaken.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The Daily News has learned that Ryan, the swashbuckling point man who dominated the headlines for the past four seasons, has intimated to “anyone who will listen” that he would be better off getting fired if Johnson isn’t willing to rectify player personnel and coaching issues on offense, according to sources.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ax-jets-fail-offense-article-1.1228741#ixzz2GNRw3CDu

green24 wrote:
Quote:
@Brian_Bassett
Francessa says Pettine is leak. All I know is Pettine was internally SLAPPED last year for leaking stuff to press.

Quote:
@Brian_Bassett
Also, Pettine forced to use a specific phone for all purposes last year so team could monitor calls.

WFAN's Mike Francessa has been roasting Pettine for being the leak for many of Manish Mehta's articles including this. Pettine came with Rex to the Jets in 2009, serving as Rex's right-hand man. If this happens to be true, it appears that Pettine has his eyes on Rex's job.

Gosh. This team has surpassed the level of just being a circus.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=508894

Wowzers...

plan9misfit wrote:

Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace5 wrote:
There's no way I see Callahan taking a demotion. Unless I'm gravely mistaken.

While your points are valid, I look at it like this: Callahan is 56 years old. He has been the head coach at Nebraska and with the Oakland Raiders. He failed in both venues. His chances of getting another head coaching position (at least at the NFL level) probably aren't great with so many other options out there.

He is well known for coaching up subpar talent to play at least above average at the NFL level when it comes to the offensive line. I think with another off-season and with somebody else calling plays (and if we stay healthy), the Cowboys are going to have a damn good shot at playing for a Super Bowl title in a year or two. We all know the glory Houck got for the offensive line during the '90s dynasty, why wouldn't Callahan settle for that type of notoriety here?

^^^mack
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:

The Daily News has learned that Ryan, the swashbuckling point man who dominated the headlines for the past four seasons, has intimated to “anyone who will listen” that he would be better off getting fired if Johnson isn’t willing to rectify player personnel and coaching issues on offense, according to sources.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ax-jets-fail-offense-article-1.1228741#ixzz2GNRw3CDu

green24 wrote:
Quote:
@Brian_Bassett
Francessa says Pettine is leak. All I know is Pettine was internally SLAPPED last year for leaking stuff to press.

Quote:
@Brian_Bassett
Also, Pettine forced to use a specific phone for all purposes last year so team could monitor calls.

WFAN's Mike Francessa has been roasting Pettine for being the leak for many of Manish Mehta's articles including this. Pettine came with Rex to the Jets in 2009, serving as Rex's right-hand man. If this happens to be true, it appears that Pettine has his eyes on Rex's job.

Gosh. This team has surpassed the level of just being a circus.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=508894

Wowzers...

If this is true, why hasn't he been fired already? And, again if true, this seems pretty much like career suicide. Nobody is really that dumb, right?

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
textaz03

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking news right now, Saints and Sean Payton have agreed in principle on a contract extension.

So take Payton off the market. Will have a link shortly

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21464960/sean-payton-saints-agree-to-multiyear-contract

Quote:
According to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, the Saints and the coach Sean Payton have agreed in principle to a multi-year contract extension. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the extension is for five years.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne

Last edited by textaz03 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
Breaking news right now, Saints and Sean Payton have agreed in principle on a contract extension.

So take Payton off the market. Will have a link shortly

Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
I am reporting the Saints and HC Sean Payton have "agreed in principle" to a new multi-year contract extension to remain head coach of the Saints

http://m.tmi.me/Ecdwa

plan9misfit wrote:

WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 yr deal for Payton. Didn't figure he would leave New Orleans

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: