Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will Cedric Benson be re-signed?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrettFavre4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Will Cedric Benson be re-signed? Reply with quote

Hey guys, Bills fan here and I've been a big Benson fan for a while now.

What have you guys thought of him this year before the injury? Do you think he will/should be re-signed or will the Packers try to acquire someone via trade/free agency like Steven Jackson, Reggie Bush, etc. or draft Giovani Bernard?

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
jfinley88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Will Cedric Benson be re-signed? Reply with quote

BrettFavre4 wrote:
Hey guys, Bills fan here and I've been a big Benson fan for a while now.

What have you guys thought of him this year before the injury? Do you think he will/should be re-signed or will the Packers try to acquire someone via trade/free agency like Steven Jackson, Reggie Bush, etc. or draft Giovani Bernard?

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

He was alright before his injury despite his ypc numbers... doubt we re-sign. Higher chance we re-sign Grant imo, which is also very unlikely...

We'll probably go with Green and Dujan Harris along with somebody that we draft or starks.

We don't have the kind of money to go after Bush. S-Jax is a small possibility. I'd love for us to get him!
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like this year, I would much rather see Ryan Grant back in camp. Good chance Grant has seen the light in terms of market value now also after sitting on his hands for over half the season. Benson was dirt cheap last offseason and Grant was not. Good chance both will be this time around.

That said, THIS TEAM NEEDS SOME YOUNG LEGS IN CAMP if ya ask me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Van Pelt say he would welcome Benson back next year if his foot heals.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bring him back for another look in training camp. There isn't any real risk to signing him to a veterans minimum type contract. The players and coaches like the guy, and he was playing pretty well when he was injured. If it comes down a decison between Benson and Grant I would choose Benson.
HaywardFan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer we do not resign him. But if his foot does heal and he signs a similar deal, I would trust the teams decision. But between him and Grant, I would prefer Grant.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't hurt to bring him in for cheap, similar to what we did with Hargrove and Muir. That said, Benson could only earn a roster spot if he's the starter in my opinion. He has no special teams value and he isn't really an option on third down. But for competition? Why not?

Really depends on the foot though. I'd like to see Grant back here this offseason because he's a great locker room fit and knows the system. But Thompson prefers youth and that's why I wouldn't be surprised if neither return and we run with a mid-round draft pick as another option along side Green, Starks and Harris.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if Benson had played the whole year it was unlikely he'd have been re-signed.

As a player, you could tell he was getting old. He has no speed/explosiveness at all. He's a tough runner with pretty good vision, but he's probably a short yardage guy at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see it happening. I think TT keeps Harris, Green, Starks and then drafts a RB in rounds 1-3.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:

As a player, you could tell he was getting old. He has no speed/explosiveness at all. He's a tough runner with pretty good vision, but he's probably a short yardage guy at this point.

he looked pretty explosive during his short time in GB... was i watching someone different?
umphrey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to have Cedric Benson back. It will be interesting which direction we decide to go though, because I want our backfield to look something like this:

Benson or SJax or Grant (in that order)
Alex Green and Starks? -might only keep 1 of these
rookie
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, as far as the regular "bell cow" RB, it seems MM has moved on from that theory out of necessity at this time. But let's take a look at what MM will have to work with next year:

For all of those that have been clamoring for a change of pace back the last several years in the draft, it seems the Pack has found that already with DuJuan Harris. Give him 5-10 touches a game and you will like his productivity.

Starks is a glass doll but effective when he is in the game. No one really knows if the coaches have run out of patience with him, but I am sure if they are not they are very close. Let's say they have run out and he is not back next year just for the sake of this argument.

Green is good in small doses, probably best in that 3rd down RB roll. Give him 20 snaps a game and maybe 8-12 touches and you will be rewarded with good productivity.

Grant and Benson are not under contract for next year.

The most I see MM running the ball with Aaron Rodgers as this teams QB is 20-25 times a game. So, between giving Green and Harris their best value carries , you are up to 12 carries on the lower end already. You are looking for another RB that will be effective for 10-15 touches a game to go with what you already have.

IF a value RB is available, TT will likely take one. But I highly doubt he is going to take one higher than his draft slot dictates because of any perceived "need."
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

he looked pretty explosive during his short time in GB... was i watching someone different?

Explosive? A prime Benson was hardly explosive, a vet Benson definetely is not.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaywardFan wrote:
I would prefer we do not resign him. But if his foot does heal and he signs a similar deal, I would trust the teams decision. But between him and Grant, I would prefer Grant.
Agreed.

Benson was never meant to be a long term Packer, lets not even kid ourselves. Its unlikely we see either back ever again if we stay relatively healthy at the position.
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
HaywardFan wrote:
Agreed.

Benson was never meant to be a long term Packer, lets not even kid ourselves. Its unlikely we see either back ever again if we stay relatively healthy at the position.

And Grant is? I like Grant but I think Benson is the better back. Before he hurt is foot Benson's average per carry was 3.5 compared to his career 3.8 average. If his foot heals I think we'll invite him back for the vet minimum again. I too think we'll draft a RB this April. I like Green and Harris but these kids are not every down backs IMO and Starks is always hurt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: