Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lebeau To return For 10th season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Lebeau To return For 10th season Reply with quote

I just got a hit on my phone from ESPN saying Lebeau told his players he's returning for his 10th season. I checked for a link but it's not up yet (I'll add it when it's up). I know there are differing opinions on him. There's none better in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the immature football fans, the Neanderthal fans, who can't handle a competitive NFL want Lebeau gone, and Haley fired, and Tomlin fired, send us right into a five year rebuild why don't ya.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I dont like this news is because is because it keeps us from moving on. While LeBeau can still get it done, I cant see him doing this too much longer, and seeing as how the entire defense is in transition, it would be nice to make that transition with the new coach.

There are pros and cons to this, but its definitely not bad news.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
The only reason I dont like this news is because is because it keeps us from moving on. While LeBeau can still get it done, I cant see him doing this too much longer, and seeing as how the entire defense is in transition, it would be nice to make that transition with the new coach.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the "Entire" defense is in transition but I get your point. I see Lebeau as a security blanket. Year in and year out you know what you have. Some good. Some bad. But mostly good. We have no idea what his replacement will bring. Could be better but considering his success, chances are it will be worse. Meaning, there's a lot more room below him than there is above. Now we all know that at some point you gotta give up your blankey. I'm just not ready yet. It's too scary. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a better DC in the league. Like I said LeBeau has done enough to walk away when he decides.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
There isn't a better DC in the league. Like I said LeBeau has done enough to walk away when he decides.

Couldn't have said it better. LeBeau leaves on his own terms.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as saying the "Entire" defense is in transition but I get your point. I see Lebeau as a security blanket. Year in and year out you know what you have. Some good. Some bad. But mostly good. We have no idea what his replacement will bring. Could be better but considering his success, chances are it will be worse. Meaning, there's a lot more room below him than there is above. Now we all know that at some point you gotta give up your blankey. I'm just not ready yet. It's too scary. Wink

More or less its the entire defense....at least all the key players that will are used to.

Woodley and Timmons are the only staples. Keenan Lewis isnt sure to be here and guys like Ziggy Hood really havent proven themselves capable of being long term starters.

Kiesel, Hampton, Foote, Harrison, Ike, Troy and Clark are all guys that will need to be replaced soon.

My point in all of this is that I think it would be better to start drafting players under a new DC, rather continuing to build our defense around LeBeau's scheme since he wont be here long term.

Believe me..its not a matter of thinking he cant get it done at his age. and I definitely know that a new DC will never come close to his overall accomplishments. But while this news is good for the most part, there are parts of me that wished he walked away.

Short term, its good news.

Long term, it MAY hurt us

Last edited by FourThreeMafia on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:

You are 100% correct that he has earned the respect to walk away on his own terms. Im not saying I wouldnt allow him to do as much. Im saying that part of me wishes he would walk away so this defense can move on...for better or for worse. It has to sometime soon....and I think it would be better if it happened while we are bringing in new players to replace the older ones.

Anyway....Im not going to debate it too much. I love LeBeau, even if I do feel like he should shut it down.
3rivers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeBeau still runs zone and I thing this team is better with man coverage with the DB's and LB's they have. That pass to Green looked like a zone, but was it?

'I am tired of the R&R DL as well, would a more aggressive scheme be better for players like 97, 90 and 96?

I don't know what to make of any of this anymore anyways Crying or Very sad
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Im saying that part of me wishes he would walk away so this defense can move on...

yep. exactly.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind seeing him slowly bow out. Do a Tom Moore and be a "consultant" while letting his successor take over more of the actual playcalling. Lebeau's still a great DC but he also has some pretty glaring flaws as of late.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think he keeps to many things in reserve as he gauging teams and how the season plays out. Sometime the method works producing sacks and TO's, but when it doesn't he has a season like this seasons. Which in most teams books would be a great thing, but for Steelers fans the Steelers have to be dominant in everything every single season. There can never be any let down or drop off if there is then some needs to be fired.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
Only the immature football fans, the Neanderthal fans, who can't handle a competitive NFL want Lebeau gone, and Haley fired, and Tomlin fired, send us right into a five year rebuild why don't ya.

I DON'T want Lebeau gone... I just don't want to lose Butler to another team. I want him to take over when Lebeau decides to leave but how long will he wait?

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
The Curtain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about his love of zone hurting us more than helping us sometimes. We play so far off the receivers to "not give up the big play" and it costs us turnovers. I'm curious to know how guys like Lewis or Allen could do if they had the opportunity to jump routes more often.
stillersenat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take: In the end the only things I think about are 1.) Will Butler stay around yet again? I always worry that Butler would leave and then Lebeau leaves a year later leaving us with nobody. 2.)Will Lebeau continue to adapt. This year brought about a big change in philosophy-a lot more man a bump and run coverage. The reasoning behind the decision can only be guessed at, but it played to the strengths of our CBs who were trained in man type coverage rather than soft zone. The results were dramatic-the DBs as a whole played lights out without a steady pass rush. I would hope the trend would continue with the DL. It's time to let Hood and Heyward play more 1 gap play calls and let them play to their strengths.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: