Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Offseason
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Th@Bird$

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
Th@Bird$ wrote:
Fair enough Jersey lol. Just seemed as if you were totally against going DE in the first and thought you disagreed with my thought process behind the pick when I said Giants stockpile DE's before letting current DE's on roster hit FA. Then you mentioned a few other current young DE's on your roster who could play in a heartbeat so going DT would be smarter. Which is why I was confused when I read your post on Carridine. But if your reasoning going Carridine over Jones is bc of pure pass rush ability I can understand that. Kind of contradicts what you said previously about not going DE in the first, but IMO I think that's too high for Carridine anyway.

Nah I'm fine going DE first, it all just depends on the candidate. If Richardson, Floyd, or Lotuelelei are available here, I say we take one of them in a heartbeat. But nevertheless, I think Tank is a special talent who can be a disruptive force for the future here. Yes, he tore his ACL, but he is expected to be back 100% in April and if he looks sharp at his workout and doesn't look like he lost a step, then I think he'll have an unpassable talent/upside for Reese here. Don't be surprised to see him go top 20 at the draft just because you don't see it in mocks yet. I definitely see it more probable than Bruce Irvin going pick 15 in last years draft. And tbh, I'm worried about the Cowboys taking him at 18 before us, if there's no more DT/OTs available that they want to draft. I don't always agree on many scout's opinions/analysis/predictions/etc... but I saw a couple scouts discussing about Carradine sliding up to the first round and it really rang a bell for someone who fell off the radar for a bit. Honestly, I could see him going as early to 13, if Tampa Bay doesn't have a corner they'd like to draft.

EDIT: And just came across this. I think this is the 3rd scout to talk about giving him a high grade.
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout

Tank Carradine says he expects to be healthy before April. Hello, Top 10 picks.
I'm telling you, the guys going to be healthy and has special explosive pass-rushing talent. Would want him over Werner, Ansah, Mingo, and Jordan.

And also, remember how shocked everyone was when after Bruce Irvin was taken at pick 15? Well, apparently at least seven teams had him at a top 15 grade. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/26/at-least-seve-teams-had-bruce-irvin-in-top-15/
Point is, you can't just base someones draft stock based upon the collective agreement of some random mocks from fans. It has no indication of what NFL teams are looking for and how they're viewing prospects.

I'm the last person to base the draft off of fellow fans mocks and scouts/analysts estimation on where someone will land. I actually find it refreshing what you just said and once again kind of surprised your the one saying it lol. When I had Richardson slip past you as well as several other teams (while unrealistic) it's hardly realistic for anybody to say so and so will or won't slip and where a dark horse will be drafted ala Bruce Irvin. Like you said. I saw a few mocks where Tank was going top 25 before the combine so it's definitely rational if a team who can make a luxery pick on a player of his caliber to return to form. Apparently your not the only one saying this. He IS, talent-wise, a first round guy.
Good find on Bruce Irvin btw, that's interesting and something I was unaware of. It was definitely a shocker of a pick and we didn't see his full potential in his first yr as I think he only played like 50% of the snaps or something IIRC. Mostly passing downs. But he's a prime example of a team making a luxery pick of drafting someone based off potential. Now if he regresses and Russel Wilson/Matt Flynn never pan out, people will look back and point a finger at Pete Carrol for making a bone-headed decision in over drafting a player but for now he's in the clear and the Hawks' are doing fine. For the Giant's sake, the DT class is strong and LB is also a need which should be handled w/ your first round pick but CAN be handled later in the draft prob rd. 2, so they can afford to make the luxery pick of Tank if they see the reward greater than the risk and if it's worth the potential wait for him to get on the field 100%. Personally I hope the Giants go elsewhere cause we know what happened last time they drafted based off someone's ceiling...JPP. Def. don't need another pass rusher like him to tag along against the Eagles.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some defensive linemen really hurt their stock today. I'm starting to think that the Giants may have a possibility to get Star Lotulelei, Damontre Moore, or Bjoern Werner. It may not be likely with Star, but I have a feeling that the other two may be available. I was really against taking DE in the first round this year, but there is just too many possibilities that would be great additions for the future with JPP. Ziggy, Tank, Bjeorn, Dmonstar, Mingo, etc. I really wanted Richardson, but he and Floyd are going to be gone by the time the Giants pick.

As for the linebackers today, none really stood out who were projected in the top rounds. I thought Ogletree would test better. Now I am almost positive he won't be selected by the Giants with all the issues. Brown has teams worried about his shoulder, so his stock didn't rise. Minter timed slower than I'd like for a 43 MLB. Cornelius Washington really killed the combine, and I heard he is more of a DE in the NFL. Jamie Collins had a ridiculous day also. He could fill in at SLB in a 43.

Really interested in seeing the CBs tomorrow. They have a lot of length, but I don't think any really have elite athleticism and speed.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After today, I'd be down for taking Datone Jones in the first.

Also, Margus Hunt... I don't know where he'd play, but he's 6'8", over 300 pounds, ran a 4.6 40 and had a ridiculous vertical. I'd love to grab him and just have him come in for NASCAR packages, get in the QBs face, put his hands up, and jump. Laughing

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the more I'm certain that Bennie Logan is the pick in the 2nd. Makes too much sense, with Joseph being our only worthwhile DT, Logan's comments about our DL, and the Giants loving guys from big schools in the first few rounds.

If that's the case, I'd like to see and OL in the first round. Maybe Fluker, Logan, then Reddick?

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt we'll draft him, but I really, really like Johnathan Franklin from UCLA. Reminds me a ton of our very own #22.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqu06Tj9dTw
In my opinion, he should be the second highest rated back in this draft class, only behind Eddie Lacey--who I absolutely love-- and could be a real steal in the 3rd.
GiantAl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Kiwanuka restructured to free up another million in cap room.

What we at now in terms of the cap?
GiantAl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparantley Beattys cap hit for 2013 will only be $3.5 mil, which will leave us about 2 mill under.

We have still got alot of cuts and restructures to make to be able to get Cruz/Boothe etc back!
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cullen Jenkins visiting:

Quote:
Derrick Gunn ‏@TheRealDGunnCSN
league source confirming to me... that cullen jenkins is meeting with the giants right now.

Quote:
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
So far, the Giants are the only visit for Jenkins but a few other teams have shown interest.

^Stone85 on the sig^
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:
Cullen Jenkins visiting:

Quote:
Derrick Gunn ‏@TheRealDGunnCSN
league source confirming to me... that cullen jenkins is meeting with the giants right now.

Quote:
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
So far, the Giants are the only visit for Jenkins but a few other teams have shown interest.

He'd be a good rotational guy. Plus he could play the Birds twice a year and get some payback Twisted Evil
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
He'd be a good rotational guy. Plus he could play the Birds twice a year and get some payback Twisted Evil

He wouldn't even be that bad as a transitional starting UT for us if we like Marvin Austins potential. Gets pressure.

^Stone85 on the sig^
GiantAl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap set at $123.9mil.

Gives us a little more flexibility.
dkebones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Modest Offer" made to KP...

http://www.giants101.com/2013/03/01/new-york-giants-have-made-modest-offer-to-safety-kenny-phillips/
UF THE SWAMP 72

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
"Modest Offer" made to KP...

http://www.giants101.com/2013/03/01/new-york-giants-have-made-modest-offer-to-safety-kenny-phillips/

Thats too bad. KP is one of my favorite Giants and WHEN he is healthy, he is among the elite safeties in the nfl. I hope he accepts the offer. Rolling Eyes
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really grinds my gears knowing the fact that the reason the Giants may not retain KP is because they are paying Rolle, a much worse safety, top dollar at the position. I know Rolle was absolutely needed when he was signed, but that contract is hindering the Giants from keeping their own young players with much more upside. I wish the Giants could cut Rolle and use that money to resign KP, but it just doesn't work like that in this business.
ESKY008

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm torn here. Rolle can stay healthy. KP sadly can't. But I know what you mean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 16 of 21

Jump to: