Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Salary Cap: "You Can't Handle The Truth!!!"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Salary Cap: "You Can't Handle The Truth!!!& Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Dirk, there are quite a few problems with this...

I misread Romo's SB as 2.7 for some reason. I'm off there.

The numbers for Church and Scandrick come from Rotoworld. while rotoworld did leave off the restructure of austin and livings' signing bonus, they did have numbers for those on Scandrick and Church.

If you divide scandrick's signing bonus it comes to 1.18m prorated per year. I think Archer maybe just overlooked one of his 1s when reading back.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Salary Cap: "You Can't Handle The Truth!!!& Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Dirk, there are quite a few problems with this...

I misread Romo's SB as 2.7 for some reason. I'm off there.

The numbers for Church and Scandrick come from Rotoworld. while rotoworld did leave off the restructure of austin and livings' signing bonus, they did have numbers for those on Scandrick and Church.

If you divide scandrick's signing bonus it comes to 1.18m prorated per year. I think Archer maybe just overlooked one of his 1s when reading back.

Regarding Scandrick, i don't know what you are looking at but it's wrong. Scandrick originally had a $3M SB but then he restructured his 2012 salary and concerted $5.9 million into SB. Scandrick's cap hit for 2013 is $3.78M.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it, now. In my math I had Scandrick's restructure, but not the original signing bonus... That's the 600k difference.

Thanks for the corrections(In all seriousness). I'm enjoying learning about how difficult this stuff is to keep track of.
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
WareWolf94 wrote:
From what I'm seeing on spotrac, we save 12 mil after we let some of the replacements walk, which will undoubtedly happen. There simply isnt room for some of these players after Church, Lee, and Carter return.

Also included Felix and Mike in the 12 mil from not resigning them. Also according to Spotrac Newman's 4.7 comes off the books finally.

I believe Coleman wont be back so that's another 1.9

That's 14 mil

Then if we re-sign Spencer and create a low cap hit next year, we would save roughly 3-5 million.

17 mil.

Restructure, Carr and Create room in a new Romo deal can add another 15 mil.

32 mil.

Minus Rookie Pool

27 mil.

So that's 6 million to play around with. I look to see all of the teams rookies to be on the squad next year.

Im also curious about what cap we have left this year, because that can rolled into the next.

I'm pretty sure that not one thing in this post made any sense at all.

I was typing this from my Iphone at work, Basically what I was trying to say is Spencer's 8 Million dollar charge will be reduced by 3-5 Million if a long term deal is agreed to.

Alot of players, like Ogletree, Coleman, Peprah, Poppinga, Sims, Jenkins, Jones, etc, will probably not be on the roster next year. I counted this total to be about 10 million off the books.

Newman's money (according to Spotrac) comes off next year, add his 4.7 to the 10.

That's 14.7 million.

Let's say Spencer's cap hit saves us 3 mil off what we are paying him for the tag this year, add that to the 14.7 million.

Thats 17.7 Million off the cap.

Restructure Carr to save about 8 million, while resigning Romo can save about 6 million. So add another 14 million in cap savings.

So 31.7 Million off the cap charge.

The rookie pool will knock is down to about 26 million in savings.

Which in turn would give us 5 million dollars to either resign some of our bottom of the roster players or bring in new competitors.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slam,

In the OP you suggest it would cost $1m to cut Ratliff but I don't see how you got that number. The Cowboys would save his $5m salary and only accelerate $4m in signing bonuses so we'd save $1m. Instead of paying $7m to stay ($5m + 2m) we'd owe $6m (3 signing bonus payments of $2m)

Did I miss something?

Sig courtesy of mack.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Slam,

In the OP you suggest it would cost $1m to cut Ratliff but I don't see how you got that number. The Cowboys would save his $5m salary and only accelerate $4m in signing bonuses so we'd save $1m. Instead of paying $7m to stay ($5m + 2m) we'd owe $6m (3 signing bonus payments of $2m)

Did I miss something?

I believe he meant we would save 1 M.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Slam,

Did I miss something?

I think he meant it would cost $1mil against the cap. If you go by Spotrac, we would pay him $5mil in salary if he is retained, but we would be charged $6mil in pro-rated signing bonus if he is cut. The difference is a $1mil net cap charge.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Slam,

Did I miss something?

I think he meant it would cost $1mil against the cap. If you go by Spotrac, we would pay him $5mil in salary if he is retained, but we would be charged $6mil in pro-rated signing bonus if he is cut. The difference is a $1mil net cap charge.

But you're paying the first SB either way so if you keep him, you owe $7m and if you cut/trade him you owe $6m - a net savings of $1m

Sig courtesy of mack.
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Slam,

Did I miss something?

But you're paying the first SB either way so if you keep him, you owe $7m and if you cut/trade him you owe $6m - a net savings of $1m

I won't pretend to be a cap guy. So I'll leave it to the experts.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Slam,

Did I miss something?

MH, I don't know if you saw my post about 3-4 after the OP where I explained Rat's situation in greater detail...

The_Slamman wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
What would be the cap implications for cutting Doug Free or Jay Ratliff?

What players are eligible to restructure their contracts (converting some of their salary into bonus to spread out the cap hit), and how much money would that save us for each of those players?

Because Doug Free restructured his contract this year... it would cost the Cowboys $8.35M in dead money to cut free before June 1st. However, this would result in saving $2,825,000 off the cap next year and $12M off the 2014 cap. If Doug Free was cut after June 1, Boys would save $7M off the cap this year but roll 4.175M in dead money onto the 2014 cap.

Cutting Ratliff before June 1 would save $1M on next year's cap. If he's cut after June first, we'd save $5M on next years cap but roll $4M in dead money onto the 2014 cap.

Yeah, we'd save $1M against the cap if we cut him before June 1st.

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Slam,

Did I miss something?

MH, I don't know if you saw my post about 3-4 after the OP where I explained Rat's situation in greater detail...

The_Slamman wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
What would be the cap implications for cutting Doug Free or Jay Ratliff?

What players are eligible to restructure their contracts (converting some of their salary into bonus to spread out the cap hit), and how much money would that save us for each of those players?

Because Doug Free restructured his contract this year... it would cost the Cowboys $8.35M in dead money to cut free before June 1st. However, this would result in saving $2,825,000 off the cap next year and $12M off the 2014 cap. If Doug Free was cut after June 1, Boys would save $7M off the cap this year but roll 4.175M in dead money onto the 2014 cap.

Cutting Ratliff before June 1 would save $1M on next year's cap. If he's cut after June first, we'd save $5M on next years cap but roll $4M in dead money onto the 2014 cap.

Yeah, we'd save $1M against the cap if we cut him before June 1st.

No I missed that - thanks for clarifying

Sig courtesy of mack.

Last edited by MaddHatter on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MH Kissing Slam. Well the saga between the two of them has gone completely 180.

In Redball I Trust!
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Let's stick to the issues before us... Namely, should Rat be a June 1st cut?

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

I am torn on the issue.

On the one hand he hasn't lived up to his contract in recent years - but he far exceeded his previous contract. His health is a major red flag. I like to think he can still be an asset going forward, but I would like to see him restructure his deal to take a pay cut for his poor play / non-existent play. That would be priority #1. Thereafter if we sign/draft sufficient players to move past him, then cutting him would be a sound #2 choice for me.

In Redball I Trust!
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

I really dont want him to be. It was dumb of us to extend him when we did, but i still believe he can be a heck of a defensive end, and with all the stud nose tackles available in this draft I think a lot of us would love to see what he can do on the outside.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: