Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Salary Cap: "You Can't Handle The Truth!!!"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
With Jenkins gone I don't see why we would cut Scandrick

Because he sucks and is over paid.

Scandrick sucks? He's not all-pro but he's not bad for a ncb.

Sig courtesy of mack.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

He is pretty bad. I read an article a while back that he has actually graded out lower than Ball the last couple years. I cant find it though, I just looked.

Maybe one of you gurus have a link to some CB stats?

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Ace5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

He is pretty bad. I read an article a while back that he has actually graded out lower than Ball the last couple years. I cant find it though, I just looked.

Maybe one of you gurus have a link to some CB stats?

This is a bold statement. BOLD. BOLD even. To the eye test, Scandrick doesn't epitomize suck in the clutch. But could he actually be worse than the despised one, the fallen angel of versatility? If he's even close cut him. We already know this team can get that kind of production out of 7th round cupcakes. I'm scared to see the results... i might need new glasses if you're right. I'm too sexy for bifocals.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Salary Cap: "You Can't Handle The Truth!!!&quo Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
So, who is going to be the first to create a scenario to get the Boys under the cap. I've been working on a couple. One is really extreme and one is fairly vanilla.

You said ~23M, right? I will spit ball this, as I am far from a cap guru.

The_Slamman wrote:
1. Tony Romo- 11.5 + $5.728 SB- $17.228M cap hit
Extend. 5 year, ~75Mil. Huge SB, but get his cap number down to ~12M this year - saving 5M

2. Brandon Carr- 14.3M + 2M SB- 16.3M cap hit
Convert salary to SB. Saving ~8M

4. Doug Free- 7M + 4.175 SB- 11.175 cap hit
Cut Savings - ~3M

5. Miles Austin- 6.732M + 1.57 SB- 8.302 cap hit
convert Salary to SB Savings ~4M

6. Jason Witten- $5.5M + 2.5M SB- 8M cap hit
Convert Salary to SB Savings ~3M

7. Jay Ratliff- 5M + 2M SB- 7M cap hit (It would cost cowboys $1m to cut Rat)
Convert salary to SB Savings 3M

8. Dan Connor- 3M + 1.350M= 4.350M cap hit
Cut. Savings 3M

9. Orlando Scandrick- 3.8M cap hit http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4702192/cowboys-face-tough-cap-situation-in-2013
Cut. Savings 3.8M?

16. Marcus Spears- 2M + 700K= 2.7M cap hit
17. Mackenzy Bernadeau- 1.75M + $812,500= 2,562,500 cap hit
Cut. Savings 3M

That creats ~35Mil in cap savings. Being ~23 over, that leaves us with about 12 Mil to play with.

I would keep some of the guys off of the street that have stepped up. They are cheap and scrappy little dudes. I would make 1 play at getting either an OL or OLB. Try to keep Spencer, but I wouldnt lose any sleep if he walks.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I would deem this year of the compensatory picks. If you let Spencer, Jenkins, Felix Jones and the slew of others walk, there is a chance we can get an extra ~2-3 picks next year.

plan9misfit wrote:

DKDALfan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Also, I would deem this year of the compensatory picks. If you let Spencer, Jenkins, Felix Jones and the slew of others walk, there is a chance we can get an extra ~2-3 picks next year.

that would be a good reason to try and use some of next years picks to trade up in this years draft, if there's a highly rated player on the Cowboys board who has fallen.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Slam - Isnt the cap supposed to skyrocket next year due to the new CBA?

Unfortunately, no. Everything I've read indicates that there won't be and substantial growth until after 2014. Even then, the growth is supposed to be gradual.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/02/worst-deal-in-the-history-of-sports-suddenly-looks-pretty-good/

Quote:
“It is staying pretty flat for several years,” McNair told Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal while departing last week’s league meetings. McNair added that, after 2014, the cap will “gradually” increase.

Kaplan’s report also confirms that the union borrowed against future years in order to pump the cap in 2012 from as low as $113 million per team to $120.6 million per team, not much more than the $120.375 million per team in 2011. The same thing will happen in 2013, which means that gains to be realized in 2014 and beyond will have already been, to a certain extent, consumed by the players in order to drive up the numbers in 2012 and 2013.

Both Kraft and McNair have stated that cap will remain flat for the first 3 years. And, any increase that would have happened in 2014 was already consumed to raise the cap in 2012 and 2013. The next 2 years will be ugly.

The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Slam, Two points. (And they are minor ones).

Danny McCray is a RFA. So he should not be one of the 44.

Moore signed a two year deal (per KFFL) and I believe it is slightly above the vet min.

I've identified both of them as RFAs and included them because I think they will be tendered. Ultimately, they may not make the team after training camp, but I don't think that will stop the cowboys from giving them a FA tender. Spotrac has Moore as a RFA next year. I have not see anything that says he is under contract for next year.

Regardless, if you'd like to play around with the numbers by cutting certain players (and I hope everyone does)... feel free to not tender either of them. I doubt McCray makes the final roster next year but I still think he gets tendered as the Cowboys have invested a lot of time in McCray.

So, who is going to be the first to create a scenario to get the Boys under the cap. I've been working on a couple. One is really extreme and one is fairly vanilla.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7118/sterling-moore
It wasn't KFFL, I was mistaken. It was roto that has it as a two year deal.

And I was under the impression that we had 44 under lock and key for next year - not including RFA, which is why I was confused by the McCray placement.

But like I said these are minor sticking points. This seems close enough to what I was working on.

I know Todd Archer says there are 44, but I couldn't find them on Spotrac. It would make some sense if Sterling Moore is one of the two that I could not account for. And, my guess is that the other one is a player that the Cowboys have released since the time Archer said there were 44 players under contract. But, I don't know that.

Also, I've done a little more research and MH was almost correct... Only the top 51 salaries count against the cap...

Quote:
The 'Rule of 51' stipulates that only the top 51 player salaries for a team count against the salary cap in the offseason. During the season, all player salaries count toward the salary cap.

Quote:
Who falls under the Salary Cap?

Answer: The "Team Salary" falls under the Salary Cap. Team salary includes the amount a team must pay its current or former players under their player contracts. Notice emphasis on the word PLAYERS. The salary cap does not apply to coaches, assistants, trainers, and other personnel. Only the top 51 player salaries for a team count against the salary cap in the offseason. (Outstanding tenders apply.) During the season, all player salaries count toward the salary cap.

http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

I will update my OP to include that info.

MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch Slam - I couldn't recall the exact number but remember it being oddly less than the normal roster size. Thanks for finding that

Sig courtesy of mack.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the first page... with McCray, we are at approximately $150,000,000 with the top 51 players (including an estimated 5.7M rookie pool).

The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Salary Cap: "You Can't Handle The Truth!!!& Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

You said ~23M, right? I will spit ball this, as I am far from a cap guru.

The_Slamman wrote:
1. Tony Romo- 11.5 + $5.728 SB- $17.228M cap hit
Extend. 5 year, ~75Mil. Huge SB, but get his cap number down to ~12M this year - saving 5M

2. Brandon Carr- 14.3M + 2M SB- 16.3M cap hit
Convert salary to SB. Saving ~8M

4. Doug Free- 7M + 4.175 SB- 11.175 cap hit
Cut Savings - ~3M

5. Miles Austin- 6.732M + 1.57 SB- 8.302 cap hit
convert Salary to SB Savings ~4M

6. Jason Witten- $5.5M + 2.5M SB- 8M cap hit
Convert Salary to SB Savings ~3M

7. Jay Ratliff- 5M + 2M SB- 7M cap hit (It would cost cowboys $1m to cut Rat)
Convert salary to SB Savings 3M

8. Dan Connor- 3M + 1.350M= 4.350M cap hit
Cut. Savings 3M

9. Orlando Scandrick- 3.8M cap hit http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4702192/cowboys-face-tough-cap-situation-in-2013
Cut. Savings 3.8M?

16. Marcus Spears- 2M + 700K= 2.7M cap hit
17. Mackenzy Bernadeau- 1.75M + $812,500= 2,562,500 cap hit
Cut. Savings 3M

That creats ~35Mil in cap savings. Being ~23 over, that leaves us with about 12 Mil to play with.

I would keep some of the guys off of the street that have stepped up. They are cheap and scrappy little dudes. I would make 1 play at getting either an OL or OLB. Try to keep Spencer, but I wouldnt lose any sleep if he walks.

Props to Matts for taking the first stab at it. Here's some recent QB signings of similarly situated QBs...

Mike Vick- 5 yrs/ 80M with $7M signing bonus and $3M first year bonus. The base salary never goes under $10M in any year.

Peyton Manning- 5 yrs/ 96M with 0 SB. His salary never goes below $18M.

Mark Sanchez- 5 yrs/ 58M with $8M signing bonus

Drew Brees- 5 yrs/ 100,000,000 with $37M signing bonus; he has a base salary of $3M in year one and approximately $10M in years 2 and 3.

Ryan Fitzpatrick- 7 yrs/ 62M with 10M SB and 11M in other bonuses. I probably like the way his is structured the best. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/ryan-fitzpatrick/

Obviously, Romo will not get Drew Brees type money. But, he will get better than Sancez and Fitzpatrick money. Vick's contract seems about right in terms of overall money (maybe Romo would get more). But, I don't like the way Vick's is structured.

buckwild

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume that Romo gets a contract about 10-15% better than Matt Schaub's contact that was 4 yr for 62 million, but Romo may ask for an additional year if he can get it.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

Not if Jerry signs as many as he let's walk. Most fans want several free agents signed as soon as they hit the market. If you do that there won't be any compensatory picks. Sunday nights game I believe will go a long ways in determining how many free agents Jerry feels he needs to sign. My preference is don't sign any. Spencer will bring the most value. I would be surprised if Felix brings anything more than a 6-7th rounder.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think we resign Spencer - not sure there's a better SLB in the draft and would rather focus our efforts elsewhere

Sig courtesy of mack.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point of order, Austin has NO signing bonus. That's the reason for the penalty, to begin with.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: