Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens @ Bengals Week 17 GDT - Division Champs!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drd23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Ravens @ Bengals Week 17 GDT - Division Champs! Reply with quote

When: Sunday, 12/30/12, 1:00 PM
Where: Paul Brown Stadium (65,515)
TV: CBS | WJZ
TV Crew: Kevin Harlan (play-by-play), Solomon Wilcots (analyst)
Referee Crew: Ron Winter

Three Keys to Watch:
1. Ravens CBs vs AJ Green
While the Ravens have done a pretty good job of keeping him in check in their previous meetings (7 catches for 96 yards, 0 TDs over 2 games), AJ Green is 5th in the league for receiving yardage and his 11 TD receptions is equal 3rd in the league. He accounts for almost 40% of their offense. Containing him in check will go a long way towards winning this game

2. The Ravens New Offense
Will the play-calling from the Giants game continue? And can the players on the field execute those plays as well as they did against the Giants? The Bengals D is a step up from the Giants D who has allowed the 3rd most yards and is 15th in points compared to the Bengals who are 8th and 6th in those same categories. Their defensive line (who is responsible for 39 sacks this season) and includes Pro-Bowler Geno Atkins will need to be stopped for this to happen.

3. Resting Players?
Multiple players are playing through injuries at the moment. Yanda and Ellerbe are playing with ankle injuries, Suggs has a biceps injury that is clearly hampering him, Reed has shoulder/neck issues etc. With the division locked up, this would be a pretty good opportunity to give some of those players a rest heading into the play-offs. The questions is, will it be taken?

Ngata and Yanda didn't practics Thurs, while Boldin, Doss, Jones, Leach and McClellan were all limited.

Play-off Scenarios
3rd Seed Scenarios
NE loss + Bal win = Bal #3
NE loss + Bal loss = NE #3

4th Seed Scenarios
Bal loss = Bal #4
NE win = Bal #4
NE loss + Bal win = NE #4

5th Seed Scenarios
Colts clinched

6th Seed Scenarios
Bengals clinched

Basically, if the Ravens win and Pats lose to Miami, then the Ravens will host the Bengals next week. Any other combination of results between the Ravens & Pats games results in Indy coming to M&T Bank Stadium next week.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we rest our guys pretty generously in this one. Maybe have most of the offense in there for a couple of series to get them more reps in Caldwell's offense, but aside from that I don't really think playing to win on the off chance we got the 3rd seed is necessarily worth it. The 3 seed vs. 4 seed doesn't give us a bye week, and the difference between Indy and Cincy is either or negligible or arguably tilted towards the Bengals being a tougher matchup to begin with. The only way the 3 seed comes to matter is if we end up in the AFCCG with the Pats, in which case it's the difference between a home and road game, and that is a huge difference, but I guess if we get that far, I'll feel confident about our ability on the road because we will have won at either Denver or Houston to begin with. Convoluted logic, I guess, but the most important thing is to get to the playoffs at our healthiest. Ellerbe needs to sit. Ngata needs to more or less sit. Yanda needs a rest. Boldin doesn't need more exposure to big hits. No reason to expose Flacco to a lot of big hits against a pretty strong Cincy front 7.

I think this will end up looking like a preseason game for both teams.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's play the offensive starters for maybe a quarter or a half depending on how the offense is looking, and then rest them.

Let's rest all the players who are injured or nursing injuries (this includes Ed Reed and Ngata) and let the youngsters get some playing time on defense.

Lastly, let's hope the Patriots take care of Miami so we can take care of Andrew "I am the GOAT but only put up mediocre at best stats" Luck at home in the playoffs!

HERE WE GO!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest or no rest, JUST GO UNDEFEATED FROM HERE ON OUT DAGGIT! I want to see an alternate ending! I deserve an alternate ending! Starting with the Bengals who are in the way!

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think that there's a better chance the Bengals rest their players rather than the Ravens. They're locked into the 6th seed no matter what while Baltimore still has a slight chance at the 3rd seed (go Dolphins!). Whether you want the Ravens to win the 3rd seed is a different matter. I'd prefer them to play Indianapolis in the first round but I want them to get as high of a seed possible too. The only difference it would make is if Baltimore as the 3rd seed and New England as the 4th seed or Indianapolis as the 5th seed make it to the AFC Championship Game but I would feel much better about the Ravens' chances at home even if it's a small chance they would actually be able to play at home.

Others have mentioned that the offense needs to stay in a rhythm and I agree with that wholeheartedly. There are a few guys on the defensive side of the ball that can/should be rested if they decide to go that route but I hope the starters on offense get a lot of playing time (if the offense is doing well at least).
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. I think we see the Bengals resting their starters and throwing out a vanilla gameplan. They're locked into the 6th seed so there is no reason for them to take this game seriously. Whereas we have the opportunity to get the #3 seed.

So I think the most logical course is to pursue this game smartly. Keep Suggs out. Keep Pollard out. Put Ngata on a snap count. Keep Yanda out of the game to let him rest. Keep Leach out.

We should also keep our offensive scheme vanilla so as to not reveal anymore of what Caldwell has added to the playbook (as we might face the Bengals a 3rd time).

So basically we should call the offense conservatively- like Cameron would- and rest our key defenders... But their should be a sense of urgency from the players to take care of business in this game. With the Bengals likely not trying to win this game and possibly lacking a sense of urgency, we could have a great chance of winning game. It really boils down to why not go for it?

Also by winning, we at least force the Patriots to not rest their starters and try for the win... Which forces them to endure the banging/durability grind of the NFL... Which raises our playoff chances that much more.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Yeah.. I think we see the Bengals resting their starters and throwing out a vanilla gameplan. They're locked into the 6th seed so there is no reason for them to take this game seriously. Whereas we have the opportunity to get the #3 seed.

So I think the most logical course is to pursue this game smartly. Keep Suggs out. Keep Pollard out. Put Ngata on a snap count. Keep Yanda out of the game to let him rest. Keep Leach out.

We should also keep our offensive scheme vanilla so as to not reveal anymore of what Caldwell has added to the playbook (as we might face the Bengals a 3rd time).

So basically we should call the offense conservatively- like Cameron would- and rest our key defenders... But their should be a sense of urgency from the players to take care of business in this game. With the Bengals likely not trying to win this game and possibly lacking a sense of urgency, we could have a great chance of winning game. It really boils down to why not go for it?

Also by winning, we at least force the Patriots to not rest their starters and try for the win... Which forces them to endure the banging/durability grind of the NFL... Which raises our playoff chances that much more.

This is where I'm at. I want us to rest guys that need the rest, but not treat this as a preseason game. Our offense needs all the rhythm/reps it can get. Also, while it may be unlikely that the Pats lose to the Dolphins, it's still possible. If we lay down, then they can rest (as you pointed out). Let make them play for it.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned. If we're the 3 and win in the WC round, then we go on to play #2. If Houston loses to the colts, I'd rather play the slumping Texans right now then the streaking Broncos.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the Phins play the Pats close earlier this year, or was that just Buffalo?

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens_rool28 wrote:
Didn't the Phins play the Pats close earlier this year, or was that just Buffalo?

I think both, not sure.

They certainly CAN beat them, though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very glad we're not playing for the division this weekend. Our players need the rest and I hope we take full advantage of it. I'd rather face INDY in the 1st round anyways.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing. I'd rather not be the first team to play the Colts in the playoffs after they just got their HC back from Cancer and are playing for him. A young and thoroughly motivated team can be incredibly dangerous- even if they are perhaps the worst team to make the playoffs- from both conferences. I'd much rather they face a Patriots team that has proven to underestimate teams before... And have them potentially knock them out of the playoffs and leave us with one less elite team to worry about.

Facing the Bengals a 3rd time concerns me because they play us well, but like the Steelers from the past few years... We'd tend to play them well, but they'd tend to come out on top. Call it hubris... But I'd prefer to face that known quantity... Especially when our offensive "wrinkles" is somewhat "unknown" to this point.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

31-10 Ravens

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
JROD82891

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me the Colts first round. I dont care about Pagano's return being motivational. Every team better be motivated in the freaking Playoffs! I'll take that Swiss cheese colts D vs our O any day rather than play the Bengals' Ferocious pass rush. I have in our D to get off the field vs Luck, giving the ) plenty of opportunities. Go 4th seed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think momentum heading into the playoffs is overrated. If you take Week 17 off it is the same as a bye week and I don't think that is ever a bad thing. I say sit 'em.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I think momentum heading into the playoffs is overrated. If you take Week 17 off it is the same as a bye week and I don't think that is ever a bad thing. I say sit 'em.

Not really. They're still practicing throughout the week. The game definitely takes the hardest toll on the players but just sitting guys is not at all like a bye week.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: