Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Bengals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redsoxsrule1437

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: The Bengals Reply with quote

Does matching up with the Bengals scare anyone else?

Assuming we're the 3rd seed, we'll open our play off run with a home game against Cincinnati.

A pass rush is the key to beating the Patriots. Geno Atkins is a beast. They currently lead the league in sacks. If they can get in Brady's face we'll have a tough time on offense. Overall, I'm impressed with their defense. They also have a man named AJ Green on the other side of the ball who could give us fits. We all know what BJGE brings to the table, he really doesn't worry me much. Their offense is very talented, just inconsistent at times. I'm not sold on Dalton, but we have made some bad QB's look good this year.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they have some nice pieces, but are probably a couple of years away from where they want to be. Atkins will give us problems because he is class, but I don't think they are a bad match-up for us by any means.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Dalton.

Denver is the only AFC playoff team that worries me.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
#RunTheEast
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bengals Reply with quote

redsoxsrule1437 wrote:
Does matching up with the Bengals scare anyone else?

Assuming we're the 3rd seed, we'll open our play off run with a home game against Cincinnati.

A pass rush is the key to beating the Patriots. Geno Atkins is a beast. They currently lead the league in sacks. If they can get in Brady's face we'll have a tough time on offense. Overall, I'm impressed with their defense. They also have a man named AJ Green on the other side of the ball who could give us fits. We all know what BJGE brings to the table, he really doesn't worry me much. Their offense is very talented, just inconsistent at times. I'm not sold on Dalton, but we have made some bad QB's look good this year.

What do you guys think?

I love the Pats D vs. Bengals O matchup.

As has been noted on here before, our secondary matches up far better against teams with a top receiver and poor secondary targets, than it does against teams with capable 1-3 receivers. Cincy fits the former description. Plus, our run defense matches up much better against tough inside runners than it does against off-tackle, bounce it outside type speed guys. Lawfirm is definitely an inside runner and doesn't have the speed to burn our bigger LBs.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Donut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Andy Dalton.

Denver is the only AFC playoff team that worries me.

Same. NFC has all the tough teams this yr.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying they couldn't beat New England but they're IMO the easiest match-up for the Pats.

I feel fairly confident that the Pats can score 24-27 points on everyone in the AFC if they don't turn the ball over a stupid number of times. The Bengals are the team I see having the hardest time scoring that many against New England.

They have one really good threat (Green) and not much else that the Pats couldn't handle. Their secondary receivers and Gresham aren't especially dangerous in the gamebreaking sense and they don't have enough speed to really exploit the Pats slow LB's.

On top of that, Green-Ellis is the ideal RB for the Pats to match up against. He's not especially good in the pass game or a big threat on draws/screens and he likes everything between the tackles.

In other words, assuming the Pats continue their success shutting down their opponent's #1 weapon, I don't see how the Bengals can possibly score enough points to win.

Their D is good (mostly their passrush) and Atkins is certainly a problem, but I think Brady can handle their secondary and LB's
Stunnaboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As bad as this is to say, I'm looking forward to the Denver-Pats game already

I actually think this game ends up being a blowout, similar to the Denver-Bengals game earlier this year. Nice return for the Law Firm and Tate though
InRodWeRust

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We almost lost to the Jags. I'm scared of every team now Laughing

Do you remember when the Pats were 1-15?
Adopt-a-Patriot 2014: Kenbrell Tompkins - Wide Receiver
Catches: 6 Yards: 53 Touchdowns: 0 Cuts: 1
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno Atkins bothers me....he's exactly the sort of player that has good games against us. Plus you never know when Mankins will decide to play as if his brain has been switched with a particularly uneducated potato.

Where's the best place to get snap % stats? How much does Atkins come out? Because I'd be all for no-huddling to keep him on the sidelines, but he's not someone I imagine misses many snaps.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 76 Yards: 1093 TDs: 11
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
Geno Atkins bothers me....he's exactly the sort of player that has good games against us. Plus you never know when Mankins will decide to play as if his brain has been switched with a particularly uneducated potato.

Where's the best place to get snap % stats? How much does Atkins come out? Because I'd be all for no-huddling to keep him on the sidelines, but he's not someone I imagine misses many snaps.

Atkins will have probably have a good game but the Pats might be able to either wear him and will likely double-teaming him.

Who knows though, McDaniels doesn't always go with the obvious
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:

Atkins will have probably have a good game but the Pats might be able to either wear him and will likely double-teaming him.

That'd be the fear...that the O-line is constantly giving up pressure in the middle but for some reason we keep calling long-developing plays or running draws from the gun.

That's the blue print for the offense looking putrid.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 76 Yards: 1093 TDs: 11
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:

That'd be the fear...that the O-line is constantly giving up pressure in the middle but for some reason we keep calling long-developing plays or running draws from the gun.

That's the blue print for the offense looking putrid.

McDaniels stupidity is the real risk, not Geno Atkins. The Pats have the talent on offense to overcome the interior rush. Whether or not McDaniels is smart enough and capable enough is another story.
Canton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengals wouldn't be an issue. As far offense, they simply do not have enough guys to cover Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Deion Branch, Danny Woodhead, Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez. Not to mention the multiple skill sets and versatility that each one of those guys possesses. Additionally, Stevan Ridley will do his thing for sure, despite Geno Atkins. And I actually think the O-Line can neutralize Atkins. As for defense, Alphonzo Dennard or Aqib Talib can cover AJ Green, and any other receivers. And Dalton would feel pressure often, not having enough time to get the ball off in the first place.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canton wrote:
As far offense, they simply do not have enough guys to cover Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Deion Branch, Danny Woodhead, Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

I'd love to see how you get all 6 of those guys on the field at the same time. Perhaps some sort of wildcat package?

Quote:
As for defense, Alphonzo Dennard or Aqib Talib can cover AJ Green, and any other receivers.

No mediocre CB can cover AJ Green one on one. Maybe Talib + McCourty over the top

Quote:
And Dalton would feel pressure often, not having enough time to get the ball off in the first place.

Because if there is one thing the Pats are good at it is rushing the QB on a consistent basis Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: