Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Draft Prospects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be the first one to say that I prejudged a lot of players in this draft before fully reviewing a lot of tape. The biggest mistake I made was saying Ezekial Ansah isn't a first round OLB, because that's the further thing from the truth. While he doesn't possess some of the elite numbers you'd like out of a first rounder. His ceiling is off the charts, the biggest concern with him I have is if by the chance the Steelers would take him. There is a high probability that he wouldn't start till 25 yrs old.

I'd probably compare Ansah to Hali as he possesses some of the same high motor, pursuit, speed and pass skills Tamba exhibits. I believe whoever drafts Ansah is going to be thoroughly pleased with their selection.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FS RB Chris Thompson is everything and more than that overrated Bernard guy most of this board is so excited about. Both have injury issues. Thompson sufered a broken back and fully recovered but had another season ending injury. Bernard had a torn acl a couple years ago.

Thompson has more speed, explosion, better vision, and is a tougher runner plus he has added value as a returner. I would rather get a 5th or potential 7th rounder than waste it on a potential 2nd or 3rd rounder, as many of you project him.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
I will be the first one to say that I prejudged a lot of players in this draft before fully reviewing a lot of tape. The biggest mistake I made was saying Ezekial Ansah isn't a first round OLB, because that's the further thing from the truth. While he doesn't possess some of the elite numbers you'd like out of a first rounder. His ceiling is off the charts, the biggest concern with him I have is if by the chance the Steelers would take him. There is a high probability that he wouldn't start till 25 yrs old.

I'd probably compare Ansah to Hali as he possesses some of the same high motor, pursuit, speed and pass skills Tamba exhibits. I believe whoever drafts Ansah is going to be thoroughly pleased with their selection.

this is an excellent comparison.

I don't think the Steelers will take Ansah for 2 primary reasons:

1. Didn't play at a major school
2. Is older than they like for their 1st rounders, nearly all of whom have been either juniors or young seniors

I also can't say I'm particularly upset about this because Ansah would require a shift in responsibility at that particular position, and the Steelers simply don't do that. They dogmatically jam the square peg into the round hole, while ignoring the specific skillset and talent of the individual player. Ansah would be dropping into coverage 40% of the time rather than using his length and explosiveness to get into the backfield
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

this is an excellent comparison.

I don't think the Steelers will take Ansah for 2 primary reasons:

1. Didn't play at a major school
2. Is older than they like for their 1st rounders, nearly all of whom have been either juniors or young seniors

I also can't say I'm particularly upset about this because Ansah would require a shift in responsibility at that particular position, and the Steelers simply don't do that. They dogmatically jam the square peg into the round hole, while ignoring the specific skillset and talent of the individual player. Ansah would be dropping into coverage 40% of the time rather than using his length and explosiveness to get into the backfield

The risk for taking Ansah is the same for taking Petterson at WR. Both are freakish athletes and both have high ceilings. I think it is more likely that Ansah is not there at 17 than Petterson because pass rushers are more prized than WR in the draft.

I think Ansah compares to Jevon Kearse for athletic ability but not skill coming out.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
armsteeld

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safety Kenny Tate is the intimidating type of player that I like. He is built like Adrian Wilson minus the muscles. Tate is a big hitter, a good blitzer, understands how QBs attack defenses, takes good angles, and can catch. He isnt getting much media attention so hopefully he can stay under the radar. Can play the Joker position in Lebeau's scheme.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT Chris Faulk is someone worth getting in the 2nd round, if available...powerful, athletic, and has the mobility to get to the 2nd level with ease..has good base and powerful punch...squats and is not a back bender. Only issue is is he completely healthy. He missed the entire 2012 season...check him out versus Florida 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-xxK1VwMTs

at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top 3 currently are:

1. Jesse Williams
2. Ansah
3a. Eifert
3b. Okafor

We need an explosive pass-rusher like Ansah. Jesse Williams will be a great replacement of Hampton and gives us the needed depth, so that McLendon and Hood can play in sub packages. Afraid of Heath Miller's injury and Big Ben loves his tight ends, and I think Eifert is a much safer choice than almost any 1st round WR.

Last edited by at23steelers on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
My top 3 currently are:

1. Jesse Williams
2. Ansah
3. Eifert

We need an explosive pass-rusher like Ansah. Jesse Williams will be a great replacement of Hampton and gives us the needed depth, so that McLendon and Hood can play in sub packages. Afraid of Heath Miller's injury and Big Ben loves his tight ends, and I think Eifert is a much safer choice than almost any 1st round WR.

Eifert is not a special talent at all. Not that there are really any special talents in this draft, but for me to draft a TE, especially in the top 20, there better be something great about them. Just like Coby Fleener last year, Eifert is good...not great. Wouldnt touch him in the first. Similar talents at TE can be had in the 2nd and even 3rd rounds.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
My top 3 currently are:

1. Jesse Williams
2. Ansah
3. Eifert

Eifert is not a special talent at all. Not that there are really any special talents in this draft, but for me to draft a TE, especially in the top 20, there better be something great about them. Just like Coby Fleener last year, Eifert is good...not great. Wouldnt touch him in the first. Similar talents at TE can be had in the 2nd and even 3rd rounds.

Fair enough, but I think some of the 2nd round TE's won't make it to our pick. I even think Ertz will be a top 35 pick. I would say a great tight-end is even more important to Big Ben than a #2 WR. I just think he's more safe than a boom-or-bust WR which is what we'd get. This is also assuming Fisher and Wormack aren't available. I just don't see a better player out there: CP, Ogletree, Vaccaro. I guess I might make Okafor 3B to Eifert.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree that Eiffert isnt a special talent. Cant think of a better TE prospect in last 5 years.

Coming out of school

Comparable to Fleener but better blocking.
Better than Gronk, Graham and Hernandez coming out.
Graham had many issues with catching coming out.
Pettigrew not really close.
Better than Rudolph.
I did like Moeaki but Eiffert still better prospect coming out.

This is a pretty decent TE class.

...you have a forum resume?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Disagree that Eiffert isnt a special talent. Cant think of a better TE prospect in last 5 years.

Coming out of school

Better than Rudolph.

No chance he was better than Gronk.

Gronk missed the entire 2009 season and had injury concerns. Thats the only reason he dropped. If not for that he likely goes top 20.

Jermaine Gresham was a better prospect too.

The other guys you mentioned were drafted higher more due to potential and measurables.

Even if he is better than those guys coming out, that doesnt make him a special prospect.

He isnt a bad player. He isnt worth a top 20 pick though. IMO anyway.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

Coming out of school

Better than Rudolph.

Gronk missed the entire 2009 season and had injury concerns. Thats the only reason he dropped. If not for that he likely goes top 20.

The other guys you mentioned were drafted higher more due to potential and measurables.

Even if he is better than those guys coming out, that doesnt make him a special prospect.

Just curious what offensive skill position player would you take over him (if any).
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

Coming out of school

Better than Rudolph.

Just curious what offensive skill position player would you take over him (if any).

Allen, Patterson, Austin, Hunter and Lacy...off the top of my head. Woods and Hopkins are on par or higher.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im happy now that there is virtually no chance we will take Dion Jordan in the first.

However, Im disappointed because neither will the teams in front of us, thus pushing another quality player down.
popie70

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErnestoGuevara wrote:
2nd and 3rd rounds (and can argue 4th-5th as well to a lesser extent) will be chock full of talent. If anything we should be trading down and picking up more picks.

Yeah this would be my preference. If we can pick up an extra top 100 pick or two that would be huge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 6 of 16

Jump to: