Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Paul Kruger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavensDefense3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Paul Kruger Reply with quote

What do you guys think the ravens will do with him? APparently he's leading 3-4 OLBs with the most pass rush productivity right now, which is honestly not surprising, every play I watch kruger he's been either getting double teamed or beating his one on one lately. I think we should resign him, we can't afford to lose out on a pass rusher after we've finally acquired one.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's as good as gone when free agency begins because of the premium paid for pass rushers and his scheme versatility.

We still have to re-sign Flacco, decide what to do with Ed, Ray, and Q, and frankly, Kruger might get one of the richest contracts on the market this year. Financially, I don't see any way to get him signed.

At least we'll get a good comp pick in 2014 when he leaves though/
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, he is so gone. I always thought he was a better fit as a 4-3 end, and I think one of those teams will pay him. We won't be able to afford to keep him without making real cuts to other positions. Not that two pass rushers are enough, but we already have our next starting OLB in Upshaw, and Sizzle will certainly have his spot.

We also have Ellerbe and maybe Cary Williams to address in the offseason.
RavensDefense3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggs is getting old, and Upshaw doesn't look like a pass rusher IMO. What compensatory pick will we get if Kruger leaves? 2nd rounder? maybe 1st rounder?
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensDefense3 wrote:
Suggs is getting old, and Upshaw doesn't look like a pass rusher IMO. What compensatory pick will we get if Kruger leaves? 2nd rounder? maybe 1st rounder?
No, a 3rd rounder if we're lucky. That's more or less the highest they go with those, so it all depends on how big a contract Kruger gets. I would guess we end up with a 4th for him.

Kruger wasn't all that effective before the bye week when Suggs wasn't out there and he was the focal point of the pass rush. He's a complimentary piece, not a main one. He's been fantastic since Suggs came back into the lineup but unfortunately I think that means he's played himself out of our price range. If for some reason he's willing to take a hometown discount, I'm all for it, but that's just not going to happen. With the way this team is up against the cap, it would be a big mistake to sink big money into Kruger. He's exactly the kind of above average player who gets paid like a superstar in FA.

And as far as Suggs being 'old,' I wouldn't write him off just yet. He was DPOY in his last healthy season in this league. He's the same age as DeMarcus Ware and 2 years younger than Jason Taylor was when he won DPOY playing the same position as Suggs. I think he's got at least 2 high quality seasons left in him.

It's still going to be important to add another pass rusher to our defense and whether it's as a defensive linemen or as a Bruce Irvin-type LB, I think that needs to be a priority for Day 1 of the draft. But Kruger is as good as gone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensDefense3 wrote:

The highest compensatory pick allotted is a 3rd rounder.

In terms of Upshaw... He was a better pass rusher at the collegiate level than Paul Kruger. Upshaw is going to be an impact pass rusher at this level, he just needs time. It took Kruger two full offseasons being mentored by Monachino- and some hiccups earlier this year- to reach his current form. Upshaw is a rookie and hasn't had the benefit of a full offseason with this team. Come next season I think we see a guy just as, if not more, dominant against the run that is also producing about 8 sacks. This guy can be a double digit sacker in today's NFL. Perhaps not consistently, but if he stays healthy.. He's going to be a player.

In terms of Kruger.. He's as good as gone. I think we'll likely add another pass rusher to the parade somewhere within the first 3 rounds though. I think no question we should be looking at pass rusher, ILB, and perhaps safety within the first 3 rounds. Offensively... Well that would be an entirely different discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The highest compensation pick a team can get is a 3rd rounder.

In my opinion it's not a matter of the Ravens needing Kruger, because they certainly do (another pass-rusher at least), it's how can they afford to keep him without making big cuts elsewhere? He's going to get a lot of money from some team and Baltimore is right up against the cap with just tendering their RFAs and EFAs.

Suggs and Upshaw aren't enough to maintain the pass-rush. That's not Upshaw's main role or strength and while Suggs is a beast he's also getting older and can't do it all by himself. Losing Kruger would be a big blow to the defense even if he's only a situational/role player because the pass-rush is so important. I just don't see him coming back to the Ravens. He could fit in any defensive system and the value of pass-rushers is huge.

I'm hoping that Baltimore gets lucky and has somebody like Jordan or Ansah fall to them in the first round of the draft. There will probably be some other guys that I will end up wanting them to get but for now those are my two main targets.
RavensDefense3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess you guys are right, it's just sad to see a good pass rusher go opposite of suggs, after looking for so many seasons for one.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd let Cary Williams go, and possibly even Boldin unless his contract could be re-structured. But I'd love the Ravens to keep Kruger.

I think he is going to get better and better, whether in Baltimore or elsewhere. With a healthy Suggs and a dominant defensive line (depending on what happens in the draft) and a stronger secondary, I feel like he could become one of the league's better pass rushers next year. It would be galling to see him develop like that somewhere else.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm Ozzie I'm not letting another pass rusher walk out the door with Suggs getting up in age and nobody else who's proven to be able to rush the passer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
If I'm Ozzie I'm not letting another pass rusher walk out the door with Suggs getting up in age and nobody else who's proven to be able to rush the passer.

/thread

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

/thread

Meh... Kruger can be replaced. He's a nice pass rusher but he's not a superstar athlete as a pass rusher and he's average- at best- against the run (but let's be honest, he's below average). He's also proven that he can't be nearly as affective playing all the downs.

I'd rather save the $7-8m/year it'll take to resign him and spend it on solidifying our depth. This draft is deep in edge threats. A good one is going to fall within range. I'd rather trade a 4th round pick to move up and grab one of the hyper athletic threats I expect to be available... Or Jarvis Jones, who I expect to fall to us after the combine exposes him as a guy who's not hyper-athletic like the other threats... And his spinal stenosis goes under the microscope. I think he falls to our range and we make a trade to scoop him up and make out like bandits.

So yeah... Kruger can be replaced-and more- starting with this upcoming draft... Especially with Monachino proving he can successfully maximize his positional talent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: