Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The financial arguement for firing Lovie
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9834
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: The financial arguement for firing Lovie Reply with quote

Much has been mentioned about how the Bears will not want to fire Lovie because they owe him 5 million dollars.

But I heard on the radio today a beat writer make an interesting point about the finances of Smith.

The single most profitable moment in the NFL season is a home playoff game as the players are getting paid a fraction of their salaries andosy of what is earned is profit.

The biggest financial arguement against Smith is that he simply does not produce home playoff games, which the beat writer said the McCaskeys love.

In the last 6 years there have been 2 home playoffs games. According to Forbes the gate income for the Bears is 61 million a year and while I know there are 2 preseason games for the same of arguement we are going to leave those out.

The gate receipts account for about 7.5 million a game without counting concessions and parking. Lets conservatively say that concessions and parking generate 2.5 million. Which means each game is about 10 million dollars generated minus game day expenses.

The fact that Lovie makes 5 million is inconsequential when you consider that when we don't have home playoff games the team misses out on a 10 million dollar revenue opportunity.

But to get home playoff games you need to win more than 9-10 games.

Or you need to beat Green Bay and win the division.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9834
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/30/nfl-valuations-11_Chicago-Bears_301335.html
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Badger75


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 7306
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many home playoff games did Wannstadt and Jouron coach?

If the Bears fire Smith they are rebuilding on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

This argument is nonsense.
_________________
"I have to keep playing so people over 40 will have somebody to root for on Sunday afternoons." George Blanda who played until he was 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mudderfudder77


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 1841
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
How many home playoff games did Wannstadt and Jouron coach?

If the Bears fire Smith they are rebuilding on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

This argument is nonsense.



Exactly. Its highly likely that the next coach is going to be hired to be fired.
_________________


Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GRRLacher


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 20640
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the McCaskey's are in charge, and I know how things have worked for years and years, but it really seems that with Emery they have given him the ability to make changes that he sees fit regardless of money....well, maybe not TOTALLY regardless of money, but they are giving him a longer financial leash than Angelo ever had.

I really don't see Lovie getting fired, and it's not because of $5mil....it's because we are not in the right position as a team to be making wholesale changes...IMO anyways. Our personnel on D are designed for a 4-3 cover 2 base...and that is the cornerstone of Lovie's stay here since the beginning. He believes in it and is not going to change it. And if we changed HC then the entire defense would need to be revamped because I seriously doubt that the next HC (if we fired Lovie) would run with the cover 2.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9834
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
How many home playoff games did Wannstadt and Jouron coach?

If the Bears fire Smith they are rebuilding on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

This argument is nonsense.


The arguement that they are automatically rebuilding is an assumption based on Angelo's failings.

What if Emery hires the next Sean Payton and has a great OL draft would we still be rebuilding?

What good team do you know that has made a coaching change and all of a sudden tanked for 3-4 years.

The Colts lost their franchise player, and maybe the greatest player of all time, changed coaches and GM and completely changed their defensive system and are in the playoffs.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]


Last edited by WindyCity on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9834
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRRLacher wrote:
I know the McCaskey's are in charge, and I know how things have worked for years and years, but it really seems that with Emery they have given him the ability to make changes that he sees fit regardless of money....well, maybe not TOTALLY regardless of money, but they are giving him a longer financial leash than Angelo ever had.

I really don't see Lovie getting fired, and it's not because of $5mil....it's because we are not in the right position as a team to be making wholesale changes...IMO anyways. Our personnel on D are designed for a 4-3 cover 2 base...and that is the cornerstone of Lovie's stay here since the beginning. He believes in it and is not going to change it. And if we changed HC then the entire defense would need to be revamped because I seriously doubt that the next HC (if we fired Lovie) would run with the cover 2.


What you are assuming with this is,

1. The new coach will want a new defense, bu if we hire an offensive coach he may want to keep a working defense in place.

2. That we are a pure Cover 2 team when we really have moved to a more standard 3-4 that mixes coverages.

We also need to realize that we are going through a defensive transition anyways as Briggs, Tillman, Peppers and Urlacher are not going to be on this team 2-3 years from now.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Badger75


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 7306
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
How many home playoff games did Wannstadt and Jouron coach?

If the Bears fire Smith they are rebuilding on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

This argument is nonsense.


The arguement that they are automatically rebuilding is an assumption based on Angelo's failings.

What if Emery hires the next Sean Payton and has a great OL draft would we still be rebuilding?

What good team do you know that has made a coaching change and all of a sudden tanked for 3-4 years.

The Colts lost their franchise player, and maybe the greatest player of all time, changed coaches and GM and completely changed their defensive system and are in the playoffs.


Quick turn arounds like the Colts are amazing. All credit to the organization that had the vision to draft Andrew Luck and hire HC Pagano. But those are very uncommon.

The Bears are a handful of players, draft and free agency, from being playoff competetive. If older defensive players, loyal to HC Smith see a new HC, how many move on? That means even more change for Cutler.
_________________
"I have to keep playing so people over 40 will have somebody to root for on Sunday afternoons." George Blanda who played until he was 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22790
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Quick turn arounds like the Colts are amazing.


Not only that but they were in a totally different situation…it was blatantly obvious that Jim Caldwell wasn’t a HC…in our case we could be looking at having a 10 win season and going to the playoffs…plus IMO there aren’t 10 better HCs in the NFL than Lovie Smith so why tear it down to start again if you’re not 100% sure you can get someone better…like the Colts were.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2014…Lance Briggs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 19294
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
How many home playoff games did Wannstadt and Jouron coach?

If the Bears fire Smith they are rebuilding on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

This argument is nonsense.


The arguement that they are automatically rebuilding is an assumption based on Angelo's failings.

What if Emery hires the next Sean Payton and has a great OL draft would we still be rebuilding?

What good team do you know that has made a coaching change and all of a sudden tanked for 3-4 years.

The Colts lost their franchise player, and maybe the greatest player of all time, changed coaches and GM and completely changed their defensive system and are in the playoffs.
Well the Broncos definitely come to mind, as do the Chargers, the 49ers, the Bears...etc...
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GOGRIESE


Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 19107
Location: Austin Texas
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
Quick turn arounds like the Colts are amazing.


Not only that but they were in a totally different situation…it was blatantly obvious that Jim Caldwell wasn’t a HC…in our case we could be looking at having a 10 win season and going to the playoffs…plus IMO there aren’t 10 better HCs in the NFL than Lovie Smith so why tear it down to start again if you’re not 100% sure you can get someone better…like the Colts were.


Thats the fun part
_________________

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22790
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
Quick turn arounds like the Colts are amazing.


Not only that but they were in a totally different situation…it was blatantly obvious that Jim Caldwell wasn’t a HC…in our case we could be looking at having a 10 win season and going to the playoffs…plus IMO there aren’t 10 better HCs in the NFL than Lovie Smith so why tear it down to start again if you’re not 100% sure you can get someone better…like the Colts were.


Someone hasnt taken a risk in their life


There is a big difference between a calculated risk…and a petulant “anything that has ever had an offence would be better” gamble…getting rid of Lovie would be the latter.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2014…Lance Briggs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GOGRIESE


Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 19107
Location: Austin Texas
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
Quick turn arounds like the Colts are amazing.


Not only that but they were in a totally different situation…it was blatantly obvious that Jim Caldwell wasn’t a HC…in our case we could be looking at having a 10 win season and going to the playoffs…plus IMO there aren’t 10 better HCs in the NFL than Lovie Smith so why tear it down to start again if you’re not 100% sure you can get someone better…like the Colts were.


Someone hasnt taken a risk in their life


There is a big difference between a calculated risk…and a petulant “anything that has ever had an offence would be better” gamble…getting rid of Lovie would be the latter.


Like I say all the time MM90. Your opinion isnt counted in the decision. None of our opinions are. Its likely Phil knows what he is going to do already. There is really only two answers to this.
_________________

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22790
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
Quick turn arounds like the Colts are amazing.


Not only that but they were in a totally different situation…it was blatantly obvious that Jim Caldwell wasn’t a HC…in our case we could be looking at having a 10 win season and going to the playoffs…plus IMO there aren’t 10 better HCs in the NFL than Lovie Smith so why tear it down to start again if you’re not 100% sure you can get someone better…like the Colts were.


Someone hasnt taken a risk in their life


There is a big difference between a calculated risk…and a petulant “anything that has ever had an offence would be better” gamble…getting rid of Lovie would be the latter.


Like I say all the time MM90. Your opinion isnt counted in the decision. None of our opinions are. Its likely Phil knows what he is going to do already. There is really only two answers to this.


That is the case with everything we write about on here.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2014…Lance Briggs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GOGRIESE


Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 19107
Location: Austin Texas
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
Quick turn arounds like the Colts are amazing.


Not only that but they were in a totally different situation…it was blatantly obvious that Jim Caldwell wasn’t a HC…in our case we could be looking at having a 10 win season and going to the playoffs…plus IMO there aren’t 10 better HCs in the NFL than Lovie Smith so why tear it down to start again if you’re not 100% sure you can get someone better…like the Colts were.


Someone hasnt taken a risk in their life


There is a big difference between a calculated risk…and a petulant “anything that has ever had an offence would be better” gamble…getting rid of Lovie would be the latter.


Like I say all the time MM90. Your opinion isnt counted in the decision. None of our opinions are. Its likely Phil knows what he is going to do already. There is really only two answers to this.


That is the case with everything we write about on here.


Well good then you can say that your risk post was just an opinion. Right now Phil has to think about whether Lovie can win a championship or not. Thats really what it comes down to. Cutting off negotiations after the fast start is concerning.
_________________

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group