Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pro Bowlers
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12773
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
There is also the trap of making the connection of "not as good as he once was " = "sucks"

This is my thinking on it. Reed used to make some of those bait and switch plays that he still tries to do... And he gets beat for a big gain off it now and again. And because Reed isn't a dominant tackler whenever you see him involved in a play where he gets beat deep, you have people overreacting and acting as though Ed Reed is ALWAYS getting beat deep and giving up big plays. Most of the big plays this season have been a result of Dean Pees being a fracking moron and having NO ONE cover a TE or RB. And Ed Reed has usually been the guy to bail out Pees early in the season.

There's no question that Reed is no longer the player he once was, but he's still worthy of the Probowl- no question. There's a reason why Peyton Manning and Bill Belichick are such fans of Ed Reed, with the former having just called him the best safety in the league... And it's not just respect, talent has something to do with that. Sure he's likely giving a few more points to Reed by saying "best", but I doubt he makes that same statement if Reed were a below average player like some make him out to be.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 18827
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
There is also the trap of making the connection of "not as good as he once was " = "sucks"


I'm not making that connection at all. Ed has straight up sucked this year. Missed tackles, blown coverages (that have resulted in touchdowns), over pursuing plays that lead to touchdowns...it goes on and on for Ed this year.

Last year was a year where Ed "wasn't as good as he once was", this year he flat out sucked. I'll give you a little highlight reel of Ed's season:

Blowing a coverage against Philly that left a wide open WR in the end zone.
Blowing a couple coverages against Houston that ended up in touchdowns.
Missing a tackle on DHB for a touchdown.
Failing to tackle DeMarco Murray on a touchdown run.
Leaving Cary Williams out to dry MULTIPLE times this year, not always resulting in touchdowns.
Leaving Cary Williams out to dry against the Broncos for a TD to Decker
Leaving Cary out to dry against the Giants for their only big play of the game (Randle catch)
Over pursuit on the David Wilson touchdown run where Ed essentially ran away from contact

Ed can't tackle, he's making a lot more coverage mistakes than he used to, and it's gotten to a point where it's not just that he doesn't look as good, he's a liability out there because he gambles a lot and it's starting to kill us, especially with his missed tackles.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest Ed Reed fan you'll ever meet, cross my heart, and it kills me to write all of this, but it's just the truth and if anyone wants to say he's the best safety in the league, they're just flat out wrong right now and giving him reputation points essentially. I hope Ed shows up for the playoffs like he did last year and lays it all on the line (and I'm sure he will), but deserving of a Pro Bowl nod over guys like Ryan Clark or Eric Weddle? Not a chance.
_________________

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmore4life815


Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 3429
Location: Climbing up M&T
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
There is also the trap of making the connection of "not as good as he once was " = "sucks"


I'm not making that connection at all. Ed has straight up sucked this year. Missed tackles, blown coverages (that have resulted in touchdowns), over pursuing plays that lead to touchdowns...it goes on and on for Ed this year.

Last year was a year where Ed "wasn't as good as he once was", this year he flat out sucked. I'll give you a little highlight reel of Ed's season:

Blowing a coverage against Philly that left a wide open WR in the end zone.
Blowing a couple coverages against Houston that ended up in touchdowns.
Missing a tackle on DHB for a touchdown.
Failing to tackle DeMarco Murray on a touchdown run.
Leaving Cary Williams out to dry MULTIPLE times this year, not always resulting in touchdowns.
Leaving Cary Williams out to dry against the Broncos for a TD to Decker
Leaving Cary out to dry against the Giants for their only big play of the game (Randle catch)
Over pursuit on the David Wilson touchdown run where Ed essentially ran away from contact

Ed can't tackle, he's making a lot more coverage mistakes than he used to, and it's gotten to a point where it's not just that he doesn't look as good, he's a liability out there because he gambles a lot and it's starting to kill us, especially with his missed tackles.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest Ed Reed fan you'll ever meet, cross my heart, and it kills me to write all of this, but it's just the truth and if anyone wants to say he's the best safety in the league, they're just flat out wrong right now and giving him reputation points essentially. I hope Ed shows up for the playoffs like he did last year and lays it all on the line (and I'm sure he will), but deserving of a Pro Bowl nod over guys like Ryan Clark or Eric Weddle? Not a chance.

That wasn't the only TD he allowed (or was responsible for) against Oakland. During their first drive of the second half, Ed took an awful angle that resulted in Denarius Moore blowing right by him over the top for a long TD.
_________________

Bernard "Crush Boy" Pollard- Forever a Raven

El Ramster on the sig that isn't going anywhere
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gooselovechild


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2444
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
There is also the trap of making the connection of "not as good as he once was " = "sucks"


I'm not making that connection at all. Ed has straight up sucked this year. Missed tackles, blown coverages (that have resulted in touchdowns), over pursuing plays that lead to touchdowns...it goes on and on for Ed this year.

Last year was a year where Ed "wasn't as good as he once was", this year he flat out sucked. I'll give you a little highlight reel of Ed's season:

Blowing a coverage against Philly that left a wide open WR in the end zone.
Blowing a couple coverages against Houston that ended up in touchdowns.
Missing a tackle on DHB for a touchdown.
Failing to tackle DeMarco Murray on a touchdown run.
Leaving Cary Williams out to dry MULTIPLE times this year, not always resulting in touchdowns.
Leaving Cary Williams out to dry against the Broncos for a TD to Decker
Leaving Cary out to dry against the Giants for their only big play of the game (Randle catch)
Over pursuit on the David Wilson touchdown run where Ed essentially ran away from contact

Ed can't tackle, he's making a lot more coverage mistakes than he used to, and it's gotten to a point where it's not just that he doesn't look as good, he's a liability out there because he gambles a lot and it's starting to kill us, especially with his missed tackles.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest Ed Reed fan you'll ever meet, cross my heart, and it kills me to write all of this, but it's just the truth and if anyone wants to say he's the best safety in the league, they're just flat out wrong right now and giving him reputation points essentially. I hope Ed shows up for the playoffs like he did last year and lays it all on the line (and I'm sure he will), but deserving of a Pro Bowl nod over guys like Ryan Clark or Eric Weddle? Not a chance.


Ed Reed has always been a gambler, and nobody complained when it worked and he made big, game-changing plays. But now he sucks...never mind that the defense has been a MASH ward all season, or that he's been playing through a shoulder injury of his own.

I'm sure some will say he shouldn't be on the field if he's that hurt, but with Suggs, Lewis, Webb, Ngata, McClain, and Pollard all missing action at some point, you have to have some leadership and continuity on the field.

And if you've never had a shoulder injury, let me clue you in to how hard it is to tackle with one. I have shoulder bursitis, which is extremely mild compared to a bruise, tendonitis, fracture, or separation of any degree, and there are days I have trouble pulling on a sweatshirt. So its no wonder he keeps trying to blow people up instead of wrapping up and tackling, which leads to missed tackles and his collection of personal foul penalties.

Is he a Pro Bowler? Probably not. Has his play stepped back from his DPOY years? Absolutely. But saying he sucks is falling into the trap of comparing his play this year to his glory days, whether you realize it or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 18827
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed was able to gamble back when we had a pass rush and competent corners....now we have neither AND Ed has lost a step or two AND can't tackle.

Either the coaches need to tell him to play his zone and stop gambling or something else has to happen because he's just a liability on the field, bottom line. You can't count on him to play his zone, you can't count on him to tackle, he hasn't gotten any turnovers recently (although he's been close at times), and most importantly, he's given up SEVERAL touchdowns which are the result of HIM blowing a coverage or missing a tackle.
_________________

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gooselovechild


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2444
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ed was able to gamble back when we had a pass rush and competent corners....now we have neither AND Ed has lost a step or two AND can't tackle.

Either the coaches need to tell him to play his zone and stop gambling or something else has to happen because he's just a liability on the field, bottom line. You can't count on him to play his zone, you can't count on him to tackle, he hasn't gotten any turnovers recently (although he's been close at times), and most importantly, he's given up SEVERAL touchdowns which are the result of HIM blowing a coverage or missing a tackle.


You keep harping on the fact that he "can't" tackle without acknowledging that he's playing hurt.

But at least you you admitted--in a round about way--that the injuries around him on defense have played some role in his personal performance this year, so I guess that's spmething.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StRawz11


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 3649
Location: Not in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ed was able to gamble back when we had a pass rush and competent corners....now we have neither AND Ed has lost a step or two AND can't tackle.

Either the coaches need to tell him to play his zone and stop gambling or something else has to happen because he's just a liability on the field, bottom line. You can't count on him to play his zone, you can't count on him to tackle, he hasn't gotten any turnovers recently (although he's been close at times), and most importantly, he's given up SEVERAL touchdowns which are the result of HIM blowing a coverage or missing a tackle.


You keep harping on the fact that he "can't" tackle without acknowledging that he's playing hurt.

But at least you you admitted--in a round about way--that the injuries around him on defense have played some role in his personal performance this year, so I guess that's spmething.


I don't see why he needs to. Ed is always hurt, so not being able to tackle is a part of his game and will be for the rest of his career. I dont think he outright sucks this year though
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gooselovechild


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2444
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StRawz11 wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ed was able to gamble back when we had a pass rush and competent corners....now we have neither AND Ed has lost a step or two AND can't tackle.

Either the coaches need to tell him to play his zone and stop gambling or something else has to happen because he's just a liability on the field, bottom line. You can't count on him to play his zone, you can't count on him to tackle, he hasn't gotten any turnovers recently (although he's been close at times), and most importantly, he's given up SEVERAL touchdowns which are the result of HIM blowing a coverage or missing a tackle.


You keep harping on the fact that he "can't" tackle without acknowledging that he's playing hurt.

But at least you you admitted--in a round about way--that the injuries around him on defense have played some role in his personal performance this year, so I guess that's spmething.


I don't see why he needs to. Ed is always hurt, so not being able to tackle is a part of his game and will be for the rest of his career. I dont think he outright sucks this year though


I disagree.

Deion Sanders couldn't tackle. Fred Smoot couldn't tackle. Ed Reed has a shoulder injury that's preventing him from being able to wrap and drag. That's why he's gotten so many personal fouls this year, because a big hit is the only way he can get guys on the ground right now.

And even with that said, he still has more tackles this year than he's had since 2006, which kind of destroys the notion that he "can't" tackle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StRawz11


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 3649
Location: Not in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ed was able to gamble back when we had a pass rush and competent corners....now we have neither AND Ed has lost a step or two AND can't tackle.

Either the coaches need to tell him to play his zone and stop gambling or something else has to happen because he's just a liability on the field, bottom line. You can't count on him to play his zone, you can't count on him to tackle, he hasn't gotten any turnovers recently (although he's been close at times), and most importantly, he's given up SEVERAL touchdowns which are the result of HIM blowing a coverage or missing a tackle.


You keep harping on the fact that he "can't" tackle without acknowledging that he's playing hurt.

But at least you you admitted--in a round about way--that the injuries around him on defense have played some role in his personal performance this year, so I guess that's spmething.


I don't see why he needs to. Ed is always hurt, so not being able to tackle is a part of his game and will be for the rest of his career. I dont think he outright sucks this year though


I disagree.

Deion Sanders couldn't tackle. Fred Smoot couldn't tackle. Ed Reed has a shoulder injury that's preventing him from being able to wrap and drag. That's why he's gotten so many personal fouls this year, because a big hit is the only way he can get guys on the ground right now.

And even with that said, he still has more tackles this year than he's had since 2006, which kind of destroys the notion that he "can't" tackle.


His shoulder is only part of it, he will be playing with the nerve damage in his neck for the rest of career as well. Just because he has more tackles this year doesn't mean he's good at tackling. Every Ravens fan on here would probably agree that he can't tackle.

As for the bolded, that's not a good thing at all. It makes it so that not only can he not tackle, but when he does, it's 15 yards and a fine coming with it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 18827
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ed was able to gamble back when we had a pass rush and competent corners....now we have neither AND Ed has lost a step or two AND can't tackle.

Either the coaches need to tell him to play his zone and stop gambling or something else has to happen because he's just a liability on the field, bottom line. You can't count on him to play his zone, you can't count on him to tackle, he hasn't gotten any turnovers recently (although he's been close at times), and most importantly, he's given up SEVERAL touchdowns which are the result of HIM blowing a coverage or missing a tackle.


You keep harping on the fact that he "can't" tackle without acknowledging that he's playing hurt.

But at least you you admitted--in a round about way--that the injuries around him on defense have played some role in his personal performance this year, so I guess that's spmething.


I realize he's playing injured, so why are we not taking him out and playing Omar Brown or simply playing Ihedigbo there, or someone else? At this point, like I said, Ed is a liability. We might as well rest him and TRY to get him healthy for the playoffs because playing him is doing this team no good when he's constantly missing tackles (which is what I mean by can't tackle), blowing coverages, and leaving our CB's out to dry.

He hasn't sucked for the entire year, let me get that straight, he started off just fine, but gradually as the year has gone on, Ed's gotten progressively worse to the point where it's just sad to watch him play.
_________________

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kmvoss


Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 2223
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least three or four guys who deserved it over Reed IMO. I love Reed and don't really care though. Good for him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gooselovechild


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2444
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StRawz11 wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ed was able to gamble back when we had a pass rush and competent corners....now we have neither AND Ed has lost a step or two AND can't tackle.

Either the coaches need to tell him to play his zone and stop gambling or something else has to happen because he's just a liability on the field, bottom line. You can't count on him to play his zone, you can't count on him to tackle, he hasn't gotten any turnovers recently (although he's been close at times), and most importantly, he's given up SEVERAL touchdowns which are the result of HIM blowing a coverage or missing a tackle.


You keep harping on the fact that he "can't" tackle without acknowledging that he's playing hurt.

But at least you you admitted--in a round about way--that the injuries around him on defense have played some role in his personal performance this year, so I guess that's spmething.


I don't see why he needs to. Ed is always hurt, so not being able to tackle is a part of his game and will be for the rest of his career. I dont think he outright sucks this year though


I disagree.

Deion Sanders couldn't tackle. Fred Smoot couldn't tackle. Ed Reed has a shoulder injury that's preventing him from being able to wrap and drag. That's why he's gotten so many personal fouls this year, because a big hit is the only way he can get guys on the ground right now.

And even with that said, he still has more tackles this year than he's had since 2006, which kind of destroys the notion that he "can't" tackle.


His shoulder is only part of it, he will be playing with the nerve damage in his neck for the rest of career as well. Just because he has more tackles this year doesn't mean he's good at tackling. Every Ravens fan on here would probably agree that he can't tackle.

As for the bolded, that's not a good thing at all. It makes it so that not only can he not tackle, but when he does, it's 15 yards and a fine coming with it.


I'm not concerned about the fines and penalties. The rules have been twisted so much in favor of offense and scoring that no one knows what is and isn't a foul anymore, and even our all-time great championship team would have been hard pressed to get offenses off the field without penalties.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group