Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Year of 2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don049293

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Year of 2013 Reply with quote

This team is stacked

Look at cb we have 2 coming of bench that could start Hayward and House

Sheilds is playing great

Safety is the week link But like 22 McMillian if Woodson Retires ( but maybe stays one more year at reduced salary, If so nice secondary. )

DL Neal is playing great 2 rookies are playing good and getting playing time. Neal can become a good pash rusher and get better

OL 2 starters coming back Brian and sherrod. Maybe draft a center

Look at the LB's coming back Throw Perry and Bishop back in the mix. Hawk is plaing great this year

RB we have 4 now and throw benson back in the mix

Finley is playing great

Wr ? on Jennings But wow on Cobb and Jones
HaywardFan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Year of 2013 Reply with quote

I am very excited about our pass coverage next year from all positions.

I do NOT want to throw Benson "back into the mix" Rolling Eyes

Not sure even about Grant. He is playing for a contract but sometimes a replacement is better then the feel good story. However, he is a veteran and teammate who is loved by all.

Starks?

Not sure what will pan out for the WR corps.

Last edited by HaywardFan on Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Benson can be had on the cheap, why not?

We have quite the makings of a dynasty. Thanks Ted! Cool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:

We got him on the cheap this year, by his own request. Look how that worked? Whatever TT does, I would be comfortable with it I guess.
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaywardFan wrote:
Pugger wrote:

We got him on the cheap this year, by his own request. Look how that worked? Whatever TT does, I would be comfortable with it I guess.

He was playing well and it appears he is well liked in the locker room. Our RB coach said he'd welcome him back in 2013. A while back I checked and he was getting close to his average in yards per carry before he got hurt. It will all depend upon if he can come back from this foot injury.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be ok with Harris/Green/Starks/Saine

Give Grant a tryout and pick a later round RB.
Don049293

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Grant and Benson Depend on what we do in the draft IMO

But I trust Thompson. Look at what he has done with this team talent wise
MantyWrestler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB - Agree

S - I think we are in better shape than you think. Like Mc and think MD has played better. Burnett is solid and I have read they really like Richardson.

ILB - Solid. They have 5 or 6 that could start on a lot of other teams; Bishop, Hawk, Williams, and now Jones, Latimore and Francios. Not every team but some.

OLB - The jury is out on a few. MC3 is awesome. Perry... ? not sure yet Walden has been good, not great but good. Zombo needs to be replaced. Moses may be a nice 3rd or 4th OLB. Hopefully 4th behind Walden next year which means Perry would really come on.

DL - We need an upgrade for Wilson. IMO... Average. Picket above average run stopper but WAY below getting after the passer. When teams pass on first down he might as well take a seat. Neal has been a nice suprise coming back. If we found another 5T then we could move Picket to Raji's backup and be solid there too.

QB - Need to start developing another. Harrel might be just on. Coleman might be a nice suprise next year as well.

RB - Not sold on anyone yet. Harris is the only one who has shown a real burst. Green... I just cant quite get on board, same for Starks. Grant is just a guy as well. Benson was looking good but will be another year older and does he want to come back for the bargin basement price again?

TE - I think with Finley we are good, not great but good. The sum of the parts makes us a very good TE team. It would be nice to have one guy fill most of it but if we can keep 4-5, then we have what we need.

WR - Great tallent but we will lose 2 and need to replace them. Can't see Jennings coming back. Someone will pay him much more then we will facturing in his injury history. Boykins has all ready replaces DD. Start working on the name for the ring of fame in Lambeau.

OL - Wow, you are a LOT more upbeat then me here. Sherrod is still limping! Bulaga is having surgery to what?... fix a broken hip! Holy cow, that's scary. I think we need a OT bad. Newhouse is a revolving door. Gives up the most presure of all the OL. Lang is ok and EDS seems to outplay his ability, similar to Wells. WE could use another interior lineman either a center or another guard to push Lang

JMO
CentralFC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MantyWrestler wrote:
CB - Agree

S - I think we are in better shape than you think. Like Mc and think MD has played better. Burnett is solid and I have read they really like Richardson.

ILB - Solid. They have 5 or 6 that could start on a lot of other teams; Bishop, Hawk, Williams, and now Jones, Latimore and Francios. Not every team but some.

OLB - The jury is out on a few. MC3 is awesome. Perry... ? not sure yet Walden has been good, not great but good. Zombo needs to be replaced. Moses may be a nice 3rd or 4th OLB. Hopefully 4th behind Walden next year which means Perry would really come on.

DL - We need an upgrade for Wilson. IMO... Average. Picket above average run stopper but WAY below getting after the passer. When teams pass on first down he might as well take a seat. Neal has been a nice suprise coming back. If we found another 5T then we could move Picket to Raji's backup and be solid there too.

QB - Need to start developing another. Harrel might be just on. Coleman might be a nice suprise next year as well.

RB - Not sold on anyone yet. Harris is the only one who has shown a real burst. Green... I just cant quite get on board, same for Starks. Grant is just a guy as well. Benson was looking good but will be another year older and does he want to come back for the bargin basement price again?

TE - I think with Finley we are good, not great but good. The sum of the parts makes us a very good TE team. It would be nice to have one guy fill most of it but if we can keep 4-5, then we have what we need.

WR - Great tallent but we will lose 2 and need to replace them. Can't see Jennings coming back. Someone will pay him much more then we will facturing in his injury history. Boykins has all ready replaces DD. Start working on the name for the ring of fame in Lambeau.

OL - Wow, you are a LOT more upbeat then me here. Sherrod is still limping! Bulaga is having surgery to what?... fix a broken hip! Holy cow, that's scary. I think we need a OT bad. Newhouse is a revolving door. Gives up the most presure of all the OL. Lang is ok and EDS seems to outplay his ability, similar to Wells. WE could use another interior lineman either a center or another guard to push Lang

JMO

Quick correction, no surgery for Bulaga. Many would have played with that injury. And it wasn't broken, either.
Sandybaby716

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manty, disagree with your assessment of the defensive line.

Wilson has developed into an excellent run stopper despite being a true 5-tech. Also solid at collapsing the pocket to make things easier for the linebackers behind him in the passing game. His game is not one to get recognized for greatness, but he is very good at what we expect of him.

Pickett is one of the best run defenders in the league and the best on our roster. He is still playing at a very high level. You suggest making him simply BJ's backup; if we start Neal/Worthy types at both DEs, what will we do when teams easily run down our throats?

Wilson and Pickett have been a large part of our defenses rebound this season, and it all starts with their unsung ability to stop the run. We're middle of the pack in stopping the run. If we cut their snap counts considerably, we'd be in the Buffalo Bills range of having-no-run-stoppers-and-only-pass-rushers. By being merely average against the run, teams are forced to pass at a higher clip than if we were completely anemic. And our pass defenders and edge rushers lick their chops when those opportunities arise.

HyponGrey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMO

QB - Optional
If Rodgers goes down, we might as well send in the 3rd string and get a decent pick.
Harrell didn't screw it up last time he went in, but that was against the Titans.
We could draft another back-up, but I like Coleman and believe that our QB camp will make him a viable option in a year or two.

RB - Draft one, don't care where
Benson was signed as a bandaid and we all knew it, just like Grant is a bandaid now. They'll both be gone at the end of the year.
Green and Harris have shown the most potential out of our backs, and should we get another Grant type player, which this draft has a few of, we should be fine.
Starks getting injured is getting on my nerves. Would not be surprised to see him ousted a year early.

FB - UDFA if we even bother
Kuhn is 30 and a FA in 2014. Not exactly a premium position though, and a few TE have been taking snaps back there. We were talking about running more singleback sets anyway. Raji is always an option too Rolling Eyes

WR - Could use a depth pick here, and possibly a higher one next year. UDFA will be brought in to at least try out.
Jennings is gone and everyone knows it.
Driver wants another year, but I doubt he gets it.
Jones is only signed through next year too, and will not be as easy to re-sign this time around.
Nelson and Cobb will be staples of our offense for at least a few years.
Boykin is upgradable, and Ross is here to return kicks.

TE - Need another Receiving option. Preferably a tall one. Especially if Fin gets the boot.
Finley could be released this year.
Don't like Quarless, never have.
Crabtree needs to stay.
Williams was a guy I was excited about last year, but not so much after watching this year. Has been seen in the backfield though.
Taylor, does his job on ST. Has also been seen in the backfield.

T - Depth if anything, but I think we're set for one more year. Get insurance if you want.
I still hold out hope for Sherrod, despite the curse, so I do not expect us to take a high pick here. We moved him inside to Guard that first year because the brass felt he was good enough to compete with Lang, a veteran player, for a starting spot while waiting to replace Clifton. That says something to me.
Bulaga will be fine, and we are not moving him to LT.
Newhouse is a good back-up.
Barclay has proven serviceable, and will be a nice Guard prospect.
I'll mention Datko because If he adds the necessary strength and get rid of the ghost of his shoulder injury, he could be a nice swing prospect. Will probably stay on the PS.

G - Depth maybe.
Sitton. 4 years before we have to try to re-sign him.
Lang will develop, just needs a little time. Good thing we just re-signed him
Haven't watched GVR enough to give him a fair evaluation.

C - Draft one, don't care where
Saturday was another Bandaid, and probably will not return next year, despite his inconceivable Probowl inauguration.
EDS will need to prove he can be a quality starting Center before I take this off my top needs list. He is already quality depth

NT - Depth, could be pushed off a year.
Pickett is getting older, and is the only backup NT currently on the roster, yet still starts at DE. Pickett is our best run supporter and does his job collapsing the pocket. He will be very difficult to replace.
Raji will need a new contract coming up. Should we get another Quality run supporter we could reduce his snaps by rotating him. Using him as a pure NT will also reduce his snaps and his role in the defense. That will also increase his production, which could wind up raising his price tag.

DE - Upgradable, but get a guy with technique, not an athlete. We take too long developing them.
Neal Has definitely improved. Not enough to erase his record the past few years, but he has improved. Quality rotation piece.
Worthy has good potential, and has improved against the run, but needs to work on his rush technique. He has already made an important step by realizing he can't rely solely on his first step, so it should be all up from here, but I still have my doubts on our ability to develop pass rushers.
Daniels is our best rushing DE, even though he is really more of a nickel guy. Trgovac should be able to teach him how to play the run, so I see nothing but green with him.
Wilson is injured right now, but is STILL our starting DE, despite being our WORST pass rusher. Irony is we drafted him as a rush guy. He is completely upgradable, but will only be pushed from his starting spot by someone who is better against the run. [rant]When taking a pass rusher, consider that if he doesn't already have the technique, it may take him a while before he sees the field, and if he isn't good against the run, he never will. So If you think you're rookie DE could come in and start, remember that we don't start guys that don't stop the run.[/rant]
I have no clue about Miller, but I don't expect to see him next September.

OLB - Depth/Rotational pick
Clay Matthews III.
Perry is coming along, and will hopefully improve in coverage while adding to his rush repetoire.
Not sure we can re-sign Walden this time.
Moses provides good depth.
Zombo is gone. No way he gets re-signed, not worth the check.

SILB - Set
I dont care whether you like Hawk or not, he's not going anywhere for a while. Brass likes him, and his contract makes it troublesome to release him.
Smith is a good backup, and will probably see time in subpacks next year.
Jones is a solid third option here, and his flexibility makes him the kind of player this team never lets go.

WILB - Depth maybe
Bishop will return from injury next year and everything will be fine.
Francois will probably re-sign with us, he's a solid ST guy.
Lattimore is entirely replaceable, especially since he's a FA in 2014
Manning began the year with a parasite, and has since been unable to jump Lattimore. Will get a good look at him next offseason.

CB - Set
Williams is returning to form and has done a fantastic job covering this year. Now to get back to tackling.
Shields is our starter opposite Williams and has done a fantastic job.
Hayward is at home in the slot and will get snubbed on DPOY despite having fewer snaps than most of the other candidates.
House, is starter quality and a decent gunner. He just needs to get completely healthy.
Bush is a special teams monster.

FS Depth at least
MD Jennings is listed as our starting FS, and while he has been improving, is still upgradable

SS - Set.
Burnett is much better at SS despite playing rotating back and forth between Safety spots. He is improving his communication and adjustments and should only get better.
Woodson is becoming an antique: old and expensive, but nice to have around. He's still the best leader in the secondary.
McMillian is a player I'm higher on than most. I think he has the potential to scare offenses one day.

LS - Set
Goode is.. well good. Recently inked down too

P - Set
Masthay deserved Probowl consideration. He was outstanding this year.

K - Late to UDFA
Crosby has struggled as of late, but we will see him in the offseason. With some competition like we did for Masthay this past year. We could draft one, but we don't necessarily have to. Remember, PFF's #1 Kicker this year, Justin Tucker, is a UDFA rookie, as was Robbie Gould.

KR/PR - Late to UDFA
I know MM says Cobb will be our guy. I'd rather Cobb focused on terrorizing defenses

Last edited by HyponGrey on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:44 am; edited 6 times in total
boratt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB winning teams

Giant's:
Kenny Phillips, Antrel Rolle

Packers:
Nick Collins

Saints:
Darren Sharper

Steelers:
Troy Polamalu

Giants
Kenny Phillips again

Colts:
Bob Sanders in prime

Steelers
Troy Polamalu

Patriots
Marvin Harrison

Patriots:
Marvin Harrison

There is a very strong correlation to top tier safety play and winning championships. I don't think safety is nearly as set as others do. Burnett is not a star IMO. Jennings is a so/so player IMO.

Tony Jefferson and Phillip Thomas look like two high quality safety prospects. The Packers seem to really value speed. I'll be curious how they run. But reading through a few things, it sounds like both of these guys are ball hawks and excellent tacklers. If one or both run fast, I could see the Packers wanting to take their defense to another level.

Star running backs don't seem to be a very big part of SB winning teams, although some balance seems to be required. Star safeties on the other hand. . . They do seem to be a very big part of SB success.

sig courtesy of BrettFavre004. THANKS!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: