Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Starting RB 2013
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kysteeler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Starting RB 2013 Reply with quote

Do you guys think that Mendy will be back next year for Pittsburgh?

If not, who do you see/want as our starting RB in 2013?

Personally I think that we will take a mid round RB.

I do feel that getting Adams or Gilbert back in there will help out the run game and some growth by DeCastro, but I have no faith in Redman or Dwyer carrying the load next year.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, I think he will be back.

Wont be shocked either way, but I think he will.

If we resign Mendy, it would just depend on the type of RBs that are available to us in the later rounds. No way it makes sense to spend a early or mid round pick on a RB if we keep Mendy. Id take a late one only if it was good value for a speedy scat back type that could challenge Rainey for a roster spot. Otherwise, no.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. I do believe mendenhall will be back. If mendenhall isn't back, good chance mike wallace might stick around. Both of them are our most explosive players on offense side, as we saw, our single running back can run for 100+ yards a game, when its either Redman, Mendy, or Dwyer. Real problem is sticking to a running back for once.
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Dwyer, always have.

If Mendy wants to come back for 2-3 mil a year I probably would but other than that just let him go.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
Dook

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mendenhall will get a deal. We could go on without him but he's not going to break the bank and would give us a nice trio of RB's, each one able to start.

How come people have no faith in Dwyer? A 3.9 average isn't great but it's not bad for a late round draft pick who had to run behind an patchwork OL.

Arian Foster and Steven Jackson have 4 YPC averages.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwyer is ok, but nothing special.

If Mendy doesn't get resigned, I'd like the Steelers to take maybe E. Lacey. Lacey is everything Dwyer isn't. The Steelers still need a runner that scares the defense and Dwyer doesn't. The Steelers need a back that can rip off 20+ yd runs every game. Dwyer doesn't have the COD or speed to do that not with limited carries.

I want Mendy back because for all his faults I still believe he's a great option at RB.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
I think Mendenhall will get a deal. We could go on without him but he's not going to break the bank and would give us a nice trio of RB's, each one able to start.

How come people have no faith in Dwyer? A 3.9 average isn't great but it's not bad for a late round draft pick who had to run behind an patchwork OL.

Arian Foster and Steven Jackson have 4 YPC averages.
Its not his ypc that worries me. Its that hes been here for multiple years and has not been able to reach a level of fitness that allows him to stay on the field for three straight plays.

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
kysteeler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Dwyer is ok, but nothing special.

If Mendy doesn't get resigned, I'd like the Steelers to take maybe E. Lacey. Lacey is everything Dwyer isn't. The Steelers still need a runner that scares the defense and Dwyer doesn't. The Steelers need a back that can rip off 20+ yd runs every game. Dwyer doesn't have the COD or speed to do that not with limited carries.

I want Mendy back because for all his faults I still believe he's a great option at RB.

+1
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

If we resign Mendy, it would just depend on the type of RBs that are available to us in the later rounds. No way it makes sense to spend a early or mid round pick on a RB if we keep Mendy. Id take a late one only if it was good value for a speedy scat back type that could challenge Rainey for a roster spot. Otherwise, no.

Im curious 43 what are your concerns on Montee Ball. I'm not saying you're wrong, but see more upside than downside, and am looking for the flaws/concerns that you see. I'd like to magnify those concerns for myself to see if I'm missing something which is entirely possible. I have a potential value in mind and it varies but seems nowhere as low as yours.

...you have a forum resume?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Im curious 43 what are your concerns on Montee Ball. I'm not saying you're wrong, but see more upside than downside, and am looking for the flaws/concerns that you see. I'd like to magnify those concerns for myself to see if I'm missing something which is entirely possible. I have a potential value in mind and it varies but seems nowhere as low as yours.

I just said Id be furious if we took him in the top 3 rounds.....Id be mad if we took pretty much any RB in the top 3 rounds this year.

My main two issues with us drafting him early...besides the fact that we have far bigger needs....1) he has a TON of milage on him already and b) he is too much like the runners we have now.

Seriously...for as much as I hear people talking about how we need a RB that can get around the edge, Ball isnt that guy in the NFL. He may be able to do it in college against lesser athletes, but not the NFL.

He does have really good vision, something none of our backs since young Jerome Bettis have had, but I still dont like him in the first 3 rounds.

Oh....and while I would never totally dismiss a player for this....Big Ten running backs dont exactly have the best track record, and Wisconsin RBs always seem to have success there but fade away quickly in the NFL. Again thats not a point to dismiss him, but it is worth noting along with my other points.

SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

I just said Id be furious if we took him in the top 3 rounds.....Id be mad if we took pretty much any RB in the top 3 rounds this year.

My main two issues with us drafting him early...besides the fact that we have far bigger needs....1) he has a TON of milage on him already and b) he is too much like the runners we have now.

Seriously...for as much as I hear people talking about how we need a RB that can get around the edge, Ball isnt that guy in the NFL. He may be able to do it in college against lesser athletes, but not the NFL.

He does have really good vision, something none of our backs since young Jerome Bettis have had, but I still dont like him in the first 3 rounds.

Oh....and while I would never totally dismiss a player for this....Big Ten running backs dont exactly have the best track record, and Wisconsin RBs always seem to have success there but fade away quickly in the NFL. Again thats not a point to dismiss him, but it is worth noting along with my other points.

So you wouldn't take E. Lacey in the 2nd round?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

He is worth a 2nd round pick...but would I take him there? No.

Im sorry, I just see no justification for taking a RB that early, even if we do lose Mendy.

Im not going to argue with those who do think we should spend a 2nd on a RB, because everyone already has their minds made up. Nothing will change my mind about that though.

All Ill add is that no RB is going to have alot of success behind this line. IMO, there is no reason to spend much on RB until that is addressed.

SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Im sorry, I just see no justification for taking a RB that early, even if we do lose Mendy.

Im not going to argue with those who do think we should spend a 2nd on a RB, because everyone already has their minds made up. Nothing will change my mind about that though.

All Ill add is that no RB is going to have alot of success behind this line. IMO, there is no reason to spend much on RB until that is addressed.

I'm not sold on any RB honestly. I just like Lacey doesn't mean I want the Steelers to draft him.

The OL has never been given a chance to establish themselves and this year when the Steelers were committed to the run they produced.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

I'm not sold on any RB honestly. I just like Lacey doesn't mean I want the Steelers to draft him.

The OL has never been given a chance to establish themselves and this year when the Steelers were committed to the run they produced.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only running back that is not a free agent at the end of the 2012 season is Chris Rainey, if you want to actually include him as a running back.

Here is something to consider about Mendy. He is only 25 will turn 26 in June. Between college and the pros he only has 1246 career carries, the bulk of which (858) was in the pros. If you could get him with a Michael Bush to BJ Green Ellis type contract it may very well be worth it.

...you have a forum resume?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: