Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens 2013 Opponents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfalcone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Ravens 2013 Opponents Reply with quote

Home: Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Houston Texans, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings. opponents

Road: Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Denver Broncos, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions.

The Ravens opponents have officially been released, and without knowing the date and time, I'd say the schedule seems to be shaping up quite favorably, outside of Denver, our most challenging opponents are all at home. If Webb and Suggs come back to near 100% we could have our best team in quite a while next year. I think the injuries have given our defense an opportunity to develop depth, and we are only really weak at the 5 technique, / nose tackle - basically the d-line outside of Ngata, and on our offensive line, all of which can be improved rather easily with free agency and the draft.

Edit:

I think some of our regression can be attributed to the change in defensive coordinator. Under Ryan and Pagano we had a "decided schematic advantage," whereas under Mattison and Pees we have been at a "decided schematic disadvantage." Also Ngata not being near 100 percent has decimated the defense, as much of it is based upon him dominating.

Founder of the Loucheiz Purifoy, Chris Young, Frank Clark, Sean Price,
Donte Moncrief, and Karlos Williams bandwagons.

Last edited by alfalcone on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
RavensTillIDie

Location: ----------------- Props to Jamison. on the dope signature!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ravens 2013 Opponents Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
we are only really week at the 5 technique, / nose tackle - basically the d-line outside of Ngata

I just don't understand how we've regressed so badly here. Granted Suggs being injured and the loss of JJ as a run defender surely were blows, but I didn't think they'd affect the D-Line to this extent. It's fairly obvious McPhee works much better as a situational pass rusher as opposed to an every down starter. But my biggest question is, what happened to Cody? The guy was looking like a dominating force in the run game and had been generating adequate pressure, something not many excepted of him coming into the league. So where did this drop off in production come from, ultimately resulting in him losing his starting spot to the 33 (soon to be 34) year old Kemoeatu?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? The Ravens get to play the Patriots in Baltimore two years in a row? That's quite an upset. Laughing

As for Cody, I think the cause of perceived problem with him is that he's not a guy that will make as big of an impact in some schemes as he will in others. We saw what he could do last season under Pagano and I think he's still the same player but the defense has been changed a bit. One of the biggest things I've noticed is the different alignments along the DL. Not just more 4-man lines but lining up differently when in the 3-4 sets as well.

I'm sure a lot of members who were around during the time of the draft that the Ravens selected Cody in remember me as one of the biggest guys in opposition to the pick. In the system that Mattison was running he wouldn't have added much. Pees uses something similar and although he is better about sending more players to get to the QB it's just as vanilla. Cody isn't a player that will make a huge impact in a vanilla scheme. He's also lost a bit of weight and I think he needs to add it back (not as fat though).

I still think he's a fairly decent player for what's expected of him and I don't view NT as a need. Now if they're committed to Pees and the type of defense he's running (please no) then they should probably add somebody else but I don't think that's the case.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly haven't seen any problems with Cody. He started off the season rough and inconsistent, but over the past three or so weeks, I think both Cody and Arthur Jones have come on and started dominating their 1on1s at the LOS. Our better ILB play isn't simply due to Bynes and Ellerbe playing well, it's been because our DL have finally started a) occupying bodies and b) winning those battles and getting penetration.

I thought Cody lost his job in the beginning of the season because Pees is an idiot and prefers his NTs to be penetrators as opposed to space eaters. Sure its great if you've got a dominant specimen that can do both (like Wilfork could do) but Kemo was one dimensional and didn't play to his gap responsibilities like ever... getting our LBers killed all the time.

But even Kemo has looked a little better as of late. But make no mistake, Cody has been balling recently. He's been absolutely stout against the run- a straight up stud IMO.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're really overrating Cody. I've been nothing but disappointed in the way he's played this year. A supposed space eater who doesn't eat space. I agree that Art Jones has played a lot better and I think his improved play, Ngata getting healthier, and Upshaw starting to come into his own have made a noticeable difference in the way the defense plays. But Cody? I just don't see it with him. Maybe he's been better as of late, but that's only because he had nowhere to go but up.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: