Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

General Offseason Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Cowboys fired Rob Ryan. He could be someone we look at if we're switching to a 3-4.

But more over, Cowboys fans think this means that they're switching to a 4-3 and letting Anthony Spencer walk. Someone fill me in on how he would fit in the Will in a 4-3.

Cowboys fan here. Actually was stalking the forum to find some info on your LB Daryl Smith. Maybe we can do a little FA switch Laughing

Spencer wouldn't fit as a LB in the 4-3. But he is a great 3-4 SOLB, and he doesn't get the credit he deserves in Cowboy land. What are your thoughts on Smith as a 4-3 SAM?

He plays 4-3 SAM right now so he'd be very valuable for you if you were to switch to a 4-3. I personally believe that the biggest factor in the dip of production from our defense from 2011 to 2012 was the absence of Daryl Smith. One of the few guys that can greatly impact the game from the 4-3 OLB position. It really is a shame that he likely will never get proper recognition for how he has played.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a player that the Jaguars can't afford to lose right now IMO. He was the glue that held the defense together and we clearly struggled without him this year. Once he came in, our defense suddenly started playing well. The Sam isn't a sexy position and doesn't get a lot of publicity, but he's one of the best in the league at that position. Wherever he signs (I really hope it is in Jacksonville still), is going to get a great player.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Mr. V

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith didn't really play well when he was in imo. The defense as a whole did, but Smith individually did not.

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to John Clayton, we have $22.1 million in cap room.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy

That should be more than enough to ink rookies, Greg Jones, Daryl Smith, Derek Cox, Terrance Knighton, Jordan Shipley, some of the other guys on contracts and a "big" free agent or two. We can clear out about $4.5 mill by letting Babin walk and I'm sure that's not all.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy

That should be more than enough to ink rookies, Greg Jones, Daryl Smith, Derek Cox, Terrance Knighton, Jordan Shipley, some of the other guys on contracts and a "big" free agent or two. We can clear out about $4.5 mill by letting Babin walk and I'm sure that's not all.

Of the 10 teams below the cap, only 1 made playoffs and they have already lost.

Tugboat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
He's a player that the Jaguars can't afford to lose right now IMO. He was the glue that held the defense together and we clearly struggled without him this year. Once he came in, our defense suddenly started playing well. The Sam isn't a sexy position and doesn't get a lot of publicity, but he's one of the best in the league at that position. Wherever he signs (I really hope it is in Jacksonville still), is going to get a great player.

I'm not sure i'd go quite that far with it...but he absolutely is a player we can't afford to lose right now. He's obviously one of the few upper echelon starters on this defense, and we have enough holes as it is, without creating another one. Sure he's not 'young' anymore, but those are the sort of players you try to hang onto, especially when you have the kind of cap space we're looking at imo.
FREDDY T

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not a single player that we absolutely HAVE to keep on this roster.

Caldwell is free to move whomever he wants to, including shorts and blackmon (although they wont be going anywhere; obviously)
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="iPwn"]He's a player that the Jaguars can't afford to lose right now IMO. He was the glue that held the defense together and we clearly struggled without him this year. Once he came in, our defense suddenly started playing well. The Sam isn't a sexy position and doesn't get a lot of publicity, but he's one of the best in the league at that position. Wherever he signs (I really hope it is in Jacksonville still), is going to get a great player.[/quote]

Who? Daryl Smith?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else ready for Alex Smith time?

iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Who? Daryl Smith?
Yeah. My opinion, of course.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Like I said in the News section, I'm not against bringing him in if we develop our own Kaep while we do it. Overall, our weapons are better than what the 49ers have, IMO and they got a lot our of Smith there.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Of the 10 teams below the cap, only 1 made playoffs and they have already lost.

at least free agency has potential for excitement since out season is over

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Like I said in the News section, I'm not against bringing him in if we develop our own Kaep while we do it. Overall, our weapons are better than what the 49ers have, IMO and they got a lot our of Smith there.

I'd be okay with it for the right price, and if there was another Smith at QB on the roster as well...preferably a mountaineer Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

Our line is a lot worse than theirs though. Which isn't exactly great news if we're expecting to get those kind of results out of Alex Smith.
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

Our line is a lot worse than theirs though. Which isn't exactly great news if we're expecting to get those kind of results out of Alex Smith.

Thats what happens when you field an entire OL of 1st round picks.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 5 of 34

Jump to: