Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Upgrading Need List
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terranimal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Upgrading Need List Reply with quote

Originally wrote Dec. 21, 2012......

Defense:

DL- Anytime you can add one and improve the overall group you do that. Pickett won't last forever and what would happen if we lost Raji for a considerable amount of time? In a normal year, we wouldn't stand a chance at getting an impact player at DL late in round one. But this year's draft is loaded and deep at the position. Still though have to find guys that are a fit for the system and that makes the list smaller.

So a guy who can play End and provide pass rush or a Bigger space eater that could spell both Raji and Pickett. Have both on my list.

Also by the group being deep, we can find rotational/developmental players through out the draft as well.

Corner: Yes it's a good group and will only get better. However must always think towards the future, which is something Thompson is great at....getting players right before it becomes a must need. Williams is approaching 30. Shields is a RFA who might wish to pay out next year for the tender offer and then test free agency. We also know how fast depth can be erased by injuries.

Both Wolf and Thompson live by this adage: A team can never have enough quality Corners.

ILB/OLB: Think the team could always add a guy here for either/both positions. It's not an immediate need, but if one is there and can improve the group, then wouldn't hesitate. Another quality OLBer would be good to have after watching us lose both Perry and Matthews this year.

ILBer is not as big of concern to me as it is for most. Shore up the D-Line and add maybe another quality OLBer and watch this defense rise back to the top once again for years to come.

Offense:

QB: Believe Harrell will be in the last year of contract and be entering free agency in '14. Bad year for QBs though, still if one appealed to develop in the later rounds and could compete with the group already in place might see one.

RB: We've had RB by committee since A.Green left. A 3 down RB would be more desirable. Plus we have more RBs injured than playing this year. Harris is proving to be a good change of pace addition, so a workhorse/bell cow RB would be more the need.

OL: Covered that in Draft Thoughts 3. however we should have a better idea where we stand at Center with EDS taking over for Saturday this week.

WR: Have also covered this one pretty well. If Jennings leaves as expected then they must look to find another possible Go-To number 1 type. With jones and nelson both looking at free agency in '14 and '15 respectively, (Cobb also in '15) the time to prepare and grab one if available is this year. Having a big Go-To WR to pair with Cobb would be the next generation to hopefully finish out Rodgers' career.

TE: With Finley gone as expected, Quarless will be in the last year of his contract and a free agent in '14. DJ Williams hasn't proven much so far either. So a complete TE would be desirable and is on my need list also.

FB: We only have Kuhn and he is at the 30 mark. Might the time to prepare for the future and get one.

Kicker: Have this as a need. Maybe Crosby gets his groove back, but in any case we need another guy in camp and could see us actually spending a pick on one to maybe replace Crosby.

While most seem to concentrate on need, Thompson prior to the last draft has shown he will more likely not let need dictate who or what he drafts. Have listed some positions for needs, but this is a pretty good team and one that should allow Thompson to stick with his BAP approach.
The Kuhn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you did a great job addressing the "needs" for this team.

IMO they are as follows;

DT- One that can play LDE in this scheme. Run stuffer 1st, any pass rush he adds is greatly appreciated (Reallyyyyy like Kawaan Short out of Purdue for us)

WR/TE- Just the way you wrote that up assures me TT will go WR in this draft. I completely trust TT with any guy he brings in as he has been phenominal in assessing WR talent. Think a Joker TE in rounds 1 or 2 also fills a need at WR here. If we can find one do-it-all guy at TE we can let consider letting guys like Taylor or Quarless or Crabtree go. This team is very deep and any additional roster spot we have is good.

OC- Not sold on EDS by any means. Still think this is a need but one that can probably be addressed in the 3rd or 4th rounds (Land and Sitton were both picked in the 4th and they have been more than solid for us)

DB- Just like you said, you can never have enough quality DB's. Wouldn't be opposed to going for one high. This is a relatively deep class compared to some we've seen recently. (Guys like Matt Elam, Phillip Thomas, TJ MacDonald, and Bacarri Rambo I'm high on)

RB- Bell Cow 1st and foremost. Wouldn't be opposed to going RB high but I don't think TT sees any value in that. (So far I like Bernard, Lacy, Gillislee and Ball for us)

ILB- Hawk and Bishop are both getting up there and unlike most other positions I don't see alot of talent behind the starters. Smith can step it up and who knows what we have in Manning. Ideally this guy can play both OLB and ILB like Jones and can rush the passer (which is a heavy need still)

At this point in the season I really feel as though TT can go BPA in round 1. I wouldn't be upset with any way he went (save QB-there is absolutely no value in that). Very exciting draft this year and right now I have honestly no idea which way we go.
British

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote up a provisional 53 this week and I don't see many gaps in the roster at all. Like 2010 we have had so many guys on IR there is already plenty to choose from.

For example at RB we have Harris, Green, Starks, Benson, Grant, Saine and White if we want them for just 3 spots.

ILB is very low need imo. We have current starters Hawk and Jones playing well. Bishop and Smith to return and Terrell Manning who has been cut short by a virus which wiped out his offseason. TT traded up for him for a reason and we haven't seen what he's got yet. That's 5 guys for 3-4 spots.

If Woodson departs then there is space for another CB and we could use depth on the interior OL and at receiver if both Jennings and Finley go.

But the only place we could really use a new starter for me is safety. I like McMillon, MD Jennings and Richardson but all are replaceable. A stud back there to properly replace Collins would be ace.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British wrote:
I wrote up a provisional 53 this week and I don't see many gaps in the roster at all. Like 2010 we have had so many guys on IR there is already plenty to choose from.

For example at RB we have Harris, Green, Starks, Benson, Grant, Saine and White if we want them for just 3 spots.

ILB is very low need imo. We have current starters Hawk and Jones playing well. Bishop and Smith to return and Terrell Manning who has been cut short by a virus which wiped out his offseason. TT traded up for him for a reason and we haven't seen what he's got yet. That's 5 guys for 3-4 spots.

If Woodson departs then there is space for another CB and we could use depth on the interior OL and at receiver if both Jennings and Finley go.

But the only place we could really use a new starter for me is safety. I like McMillon, MD Jennings and Richardson but all are replaceable. A stud back there to properly replace Collins would be ace.

Did the same thing. There are no holes on this team when healthy. There are players all through this roster ready for next year, some are upgradeable, but none need to be replaced. It is a good year to go BPA at premium positions.
Siman08/OH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offense:

Line: Needs improvement more then anywhere. Simple. Gotta protect the goods.

QB: Find a cheap backup for 13'. All in with Rodgers for now.

WR: Gonna need to replace Jennings in the draft. Otherwise solid. Cobb will be a Pro Bowler next year.

TE: KEEP FINLEY. This group is fine.

FB: Pick one up next year. Kuhn is solid and a fan favorite.

RB: Huge weakness. We need a solid 1000 yard 4.5 ypc guy. A new Ahman Green if you would. Spend the $ if you have too. That would make this offense historic.

Defense:

Line: Could use some bolstering, but pretty solid.

LB's: With BISHOP, and Perry back next year we should be SOLID.

DB: Could draft, could use some work. But very solid group going into next year.

Special Teams:

K: LOLZ.

P: Fine.

KR/PR: Time for a new dude (Cobb graduates to Offense only ala Steve Smith). Very looked over position IMO. Look what Howard did in 96' or Hester in 05'. Made their teams SUPER BOWL WORTHY.

The biggest issue on our team is health. We need to bolster our medical staff. This team would be on the verge of a three-peat if it wasn't for injuries and the inconsistency they create.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR - have to assume Jennings is gone - often injured and wants more than TT will pay. Driver will also be gone. Now if Jennings will sign for 7 million per year for about 4 years then TT will be all ears. My guess is a fairly high draft pick at WR.

TE- Finley can't block and his inconsistency is the ony consistent thing about him. Rated in the lower 20's in the NFL for TE's he is not worthy of 7 million next year. Finley is gone and the Packers draft a TE.

OL - they still have (2) #1 draft picks at tackle plus Newhouse and Barclay. I don't see a high draft pick at tackle. I do see a guard and center being drafted in the middle to late rounds.

DL - not a big need though TT likes to draft at least 1.

LB - good question and TT may surprise us if the right guy is available. Not a huge need.

DB - another not a huge need area though TT will likely draft a safety, and possibly high of the right guy is available.

RB - a feature RB is the #1 need in my opinion. There may be a feature RB available in R1 but TT will take the best player available so look for that guy to be either a RB, TE or WR.

Kicker - the average career after a kicker gets the yips is 1 1/2 years. Look for Crosby to be replaced.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TT will go BPA in the first at one of the following positions: WR, TE, Dline, OLB or DB. Then I expect him to look to fill the following positions not addressed in round 1, in NO particular order, to add competition and depth:

Back UP QB
RB
WR
TE
OG/C swingman
Dline
OLB
DB

Last edited by PackFan4Life on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
svp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we knew what injuries we are getting next year. That way
we could plan accordingly.

Sandybaby716

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, the irrational fear of the age of 30 among non-running backs and the general assumption that Pickett is old for his position continue to baffle me.

Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just gonna make a list of players of importance to keep going into the future based on skill and projected talent.

Rodgers
Matthews
Tramon Williams

Finley - You don't put tons of time and effort into a player and give him a new contract if you planning on letting him go, That is just Buffoonery. Luckly Thompson has a good gut and just like him going with his gut on Tony Gonzo and Marshawn Lynch, I think his gut is right about this one. (Obviously Tony g and Lynch went onto have great careers at their second stop, which Thompson thought they would) that is what would happen if we let Finley go imo.

Bulaga - Should be going to left Tackle next year, he is that good of a pass blocker, and it's not like Him and Sitton were crushing defenders in the run game like they were supposed to do anyways.

Worthy - With us always being up on the scoreboard we need those two 2-4-5 DEs to play the pass rushers

Neal - Same as Worthy

Hayward
Shields
Perry - Same as Worthy and Neal, we need this pass rusher
Sitton
Lang
Raji - We do not run as much 3-4 and I don't really value the NT a lot but still important.

Nelson
Jones
Bishop - Real good against the run and TEs
House
Mike Daniels

Derek Sherrod - Should go to Right tackle where he should be able to handle power rushers with his long arms.

Morgan Burnett - Great over TEs and can play middle 1/3
Jerron McMillian
EDS
Brad Jones

The guys I feel we need to cut next year are... Even tho I think they still have it this year.

Jennings - Just can't pay a Receiver, Contracts are toooooo inflated right now.

Charles Woodson - Too much young talent to justify keeping him around, even if he takes a pay cut.

Donald Driver

Ryan Pickett - Again, too much young talent to justify keeping him.

So Def. and Off. line are the top priority Followed by Linebacker.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need a bell cow RB for this offense. Wouldn't draft one tbh

El Ramster on the amazing work
justo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
I'm on this boat. Unless we totally stall with Harris I don't really see a need. I mean we could upgrade if it's BPA but I don't see a reason to have Harris/Green/Starks/Saine/any FA or resign on the team and a DP.

Something like: FS, C, WR, OL depth, DL depth for me
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:
I'm on this boat. Unless we totally stall with Harris I don't really see a need. I mean we could upgrade if it's BPA but I don't see a reason to have Harris/Green/Starks/Saine/any FA or resign on the team and a DP.

Got it - so Green Bay continues to have one of the worst running back groups in the NFL. I know lets hang our hopes on a kid that has bounced around from team to team, or perhpas James Starks is actually better than he has played these last couple of years. It would be very difficult for me to name one team that doesn't at least have a #1 RB capablde of 1000 yards - besides Green Bay of course. The Packers roll the dice every year on Aaron Rodgers not getting hurt and then have no real fall back position on offense other than a mediocre backup QB and RB's. How about drafting a guy that can actually gain 1000 yards or even resign Cedric Benson or another proven veteran. Heck some teams have 3 RB's better than any of the Packers RB's and many teams have 2 that are better. It's time.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
justo wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

Got it - so Green Bay continues to have one of the worst running back groups in the NFL. I know lets hang our hopes on a kid that has bounced around from team to team, or perhpas James Starks is actually better than he has played these last couple of years. It would be very difficult for me to name one team that doesn't at least have a #1 RB capablde of 1000 yards - besides Green Bay of course. The Packers roll the dice every year on Aaron Rodgers not getting hurt and then have no real fall back position on offense other than a mediocre backup QB and RB's. How about drafting a guy that can actually gain 1000 yards or even resign Cedric Benson or another proven veteran. Heck some teams have 3 RB's better than any of the Packers RB's and many teams have 2 that are better. It's time.

Dude it's not all on the RBs. Our line is built for pass pro (obviously were missing solid tackles and a center). McCarthy also never runs the ball, relatively. What's the point in spending a high pick on some RB that would only get limited carries each game. You want to take the ball out of Rodgers hands?

Why not keep spending high picks on offensive linmen to protect Rodgers, and Defensive lineman to get the other team off the field. RBs are a dime a dozen for the most part. Very rarely is there an AP in the draft. I'd say the majority of success comes from the offensive line. Why do you think Wisconsin consistently churns out 1000 yard rushers?

People are thinking way too shallow on this running game thing. There's tons of factors why we can't run the ball, and "having a decent RB" is not even close to the top of the list.

El Ramster on the amazing work
justo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
justo wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

Dude it's not all on the RBs. Our line is built for pass pro (obviously were missing solid tackles and a center). McCarthy also never runs the ball, relatively. What's the point in spending a high pick on some RB that would only get limited carries each game. You want to take the ball out of Rodgers hands?

Why not keep spending high picks on offensive linmen to protect Rodgers, and Defensive lineman to get the other team off the field. RBs are a dime a dozen for the most part. Very rarely is there an AP in the draft. I'd say the majority of success comes from the offensive line. Why do you think Wisconsin consistently churns out 1000 yard rushers?

People are thinking way too shallow on this running game thing. There's tons of factors why we can't run the ball, and "having a decent RB" is not even close to the top of the list.
Nah bro, should totally have RB as need #1.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: