Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Draft Thread Version 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
101Raider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
When was the last time a QB didn't go in the 1st round?

Something I have yet to hear about from the pundits, but I'd imagine the new CBA would make taking a QB in the 1st a higher priority.

Rookies now sign a contract for 5 years as a 1st rounder (instead of 6)and 4 years max later in the draft, this in my mind pushes those "borderline 1st/2nd round" QB's solidly into the 1st in order to sign them for that extra year. Puts more pressure on playing early in their career and makes it less beneficial to "develop" a signal caller.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be absolutely livid if we took Milner 3rd overall. That would be the worst mistake since passing on Calvin.....

PM sig requests.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
I would be absolutely livid if we took Milner 3rd overall. That would be the worst mistake since passing on Calvin.....

False. DHB. I wouldn't cry, but we definitely get better value with someone else there or by trading down for him
holyghost

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt we are taking Milliner to be honest. All the things McKenzie has said he has followed through on. And he was straight in saying late in the year about needing players in the trenches. "Knock people off the ball" was what he said.

It's easier to put a WR or CB prospect in a better system or a better position to succeed than it is to simply find a bigger guy to knock people off the ball. It's also easier to coach a skill guy up, because alot of a skill guys skills are just that - skills. Skills which can be refined through practice.. You can improve a DL or OL guy in a new system but there's more of a limit to it, because he still has to simply be able to knock an opponent off the ball. Strength, speed, discipline, demeanor. There are most definitely skills to it, but there's more. If he can't do that then no system will help fix that. Or at least this is the message I am inferring from what the staff has said so far. And it looks to be true enough. Adams, Ross, they're just mid season pickup types yet they improved. The position is easier to fill, simply put.

Carter was the only midseason line pickup of note, and only because of his injury and age, and he's also a DE. There is just fewer good guys out there at 6'6" 310 with athleticism and nastiness. It's an abnormal thing to be that size with athleticism, and motivation. The world is packed with 5'11" 195 athletic types trying to stick in football. Big'uns are harder to find without significant flaws. And the real big'uns positions - all OL and interior DL are less glamorous.

Think about how many 6'6" 310 pound guys, or thereabouts, there are out there who have athleticism, and a motor, who are not overweight lazy slobs, and will work their butts off on a pro level for little to no recognition. Then think of guys at those positions who have to be better than their opponent as well. Not the easiest thing to find. Not as easy as a CB with some reasonable solid footwork to work with and who wants to get his hands on the football.

I believe we will not be picking a CB.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:

False. DHB. I wouldn't cry, but we definitely get better value with someone else there or by trading down for him

Meh at least Bey had potential to turn into something and looked like he was going to. This year though, he took a step back. My stance on drafting CBs and their value in terms of wins and losses is what my initial thinking is w/ taking Milner that high. There is literally not enough value... at all. We passed on a once in a decade player for a guy w/ a big arm... you get those in every draft. Stupid Al......

PM sig requests.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

101Raider wrote:
Raidin wrote:
When was the last time a QB didn't go in the 1st round?

Something I have yet to hear about from the pundits, but I'd imagine the new CBA would make taking a QB in the 1st a higher priority.

Rookies now sign a contract for 5 years as a 1st rounder (instead of 6)and 4 years max later in the draft, this in my mind pushes those "borderline 1st/2nd round" QB's solidly into the 1st in order to sign them for that extra year. Puts more pressure on playing early in their career and makes it less beneficial to "develop" a signal caller.

I would think there would be less pressure to play the young QB early. You know you have him for 5 years and you are not paying him a ton. So teams would be able to actually take their time and develop them. I like the way we were able to sit Pryor so he could learn the pro game for a year or so. You givr him a taste late then you cut him loose so he can compete.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure 1st round picks get a 4 year deal, not 5. Luck, RGIII, Richardson and Cam Newton all signed 4 year contracts.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well never mind then. Laughing

I would still say that the cost of those cintracts makes it less of a priority to get them on the field. You can still sit them and they would still haqve 2-3 years to show what they can do and earn that next big payday.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Well never mind then. Laughing

I would still say that the cost of those cintracts makes it less of a priority to get them on the field. You can still sit them and they would still haqve 2-3 years to show what they can do and earn that next big payday.

I see both sides of the argument. The risk of taking a QB in the 1st is lower because you wont be paying $40M for a guy, however, you also less time to develop him and see enough of him to make sure he is your guy going forward. IMO, the money outweighs the shorter contract. I'd rather not be paying unproven players a king's ransom.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
backinblack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
Pretty sure 1st round picks get a 4 year deal, not 5. Luck, RGIII, Richardson and Cam Newton all signed 4 year contracts.

Thats correct and incorrect! lol
they sign a 4 year deal but the club has an option on a 5th year that must be exercised by march after the 3rd year. so in essance its a 5year deal but they can get out without penelty after 4 in case of a bust.
macklemore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

haha wtf?

Manti T'eo ultimate troll?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macklemore wrote:
http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

haha wtf?

Still not a bigger troll than Chip Kelly.
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macklemore wrote:

haha wtf?

Ultimate douschee bag in all of sports. Who would fabricate the story about your girlfriend dying?

BUT HE HAS A HIGH CHARCATER AND IS A GOOD LEADER DOE SO WE SHOULD DRAFT HIM. HE WAY BETTER AND WAY BETTER PERSON THAN ROLANDO MCCLAIN DOE.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
macklemore wrote:

haha wtf?

Ultimate douschee bag in all of sports. Who would fabricate the story about your girlfriend dying?

BUT HE HAS A HIGH CHARCATER AND IS A GOOD LEADER DOE SO WE SHOULD DRAFT HIM. HE WAY BETTER AND WAY BETTER PERSON THAN ROLANDO MCCLAIN DOE.

I'm waiting for more info, but this doesn't look good for ND or Te'o.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
macklemore wrote:

haha wtf?

I'm waiting for more info, but this doesn't look good for ND or Te'o.

Yikes if true no difference between him and McClain.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 80 of 100

Jump to: