Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What is the solution at TE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: What is the solution at TE Reply with quote

We all agree that Kellen Davis is on his way out, but what route do you think we will take in terms of TE?

The way I see it, the options are (in order of likelihood):

1. Sign top-tier FA (Cook, Keller)

I think if Emery were to make a splash this off-season, it'll be by re-signing Melton and bringing in a top TE and perhaps a slot WR. If not, that leads me to...

2. Sign second-tier FA (Brandon Myers)

I think he might be interested in leaving Oakland given their QB situation is a mess. He's 27 and has performed well when given the targets. Could become a prime target for Cutler for drop-offs as well as another option in the redzone.

3. Draft

It won't be early, but if we fail to sign a TE in FA, there's no doubt in my mind we look to take one in the 4th-5th round.

4. Trade

This is the most unlikely, as we don't have much to offer in terms of players, and I believe Emery will look to hold onto as many draft picks as he can with a HC/scheme change likely. What we do have in terms of trade bait is Hester, but I think the rest of the league realizes we likely cut him, so his value will be severely decreased.

What do you guys think of offering something for Garrett Celek, Brent's brother? He's currently backing up for the 49ers and it's possible they let him go for a late round pick.

Quote:
Garrett is the brother of Eagles TE Brent Celek. Reporter Kevin Lynch puts Celek's chances of cracking the 49ers' crowded tight end corps at 20-to-1, but believes a strong preseason could turn him into a possible waiver claim. Per Lynch, Celek "catches the ball so softly, you hardly ever hear (it) hit his hands," and also "seems to know his way around a pass route."

He was injured a lot in college and didn't really put up good numbers, but he is young and good things have been said about his hands and his routes. He's also 6' 5".
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You find someone who is competent and also cheap…bottom line is Marshall next year is still going to get a ton of work…Jeffery will be another year in…Jay will still have faith in Bennett and if Tice is smart…or whoever is the OC is smart…he will get Forte more involved in the passing game again…a TE on this team won’t be a Gronk or Graham type…he just has to be able to catch the ball 8-10 yards down the field and block in the running game.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we need Gronkowski, unless we switch coaches.

I think we need someone who is a consistent and reliable threat in the middle of the field and can make plays.

A guy like Zach Ertz in the 2nd round would be a nice value and could be more than just a guy in our offense.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

I think we need someone who is a consistent and reliable threat in the middle of the field and can make plays.

A guy like Zach Ertz in the 2nd round would be a nice value and could be more than just a guy in our offense.

Spending a 2nd round pick on a TE would be a bad move unless our big board is decimated.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Spending a 2nd round pick on a TE would be a bad move unless our big board is decimated.

It really depends on who is available.

I think you have too much faith in Jeffery and Bennett and I also know tht you cannot have a position in your team that does not need to be covered.

At this moment TE is our 3rd biggest need until we determine what happens with Urlacher.

1. OT
2. LG
3 a. TE
3 b. MLB
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I think you have too much faith in Jeffery and Bennett and I also know tht you cannot have a position in your team that does not need to be covered.

At this moment TE is our 3rd biggest need until we determine what happens with Urlacher.

1. OT
2. LG
3 a. TE
3 b. MLB

MLB is a far bigger need than TE IMO...I would also put centre well above TE if we wanted to take a guy like Barrett Jones.
ak06max

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="WindyCity"]
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

1. OT
2. LG
3 a. TE
3 b. MLB[/quote

Jared Cook if he is available. Jeffery has shown great abilities and with Marshall working with him this offseason he will shine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

1. OT
2. LG
3 a. TE
3 b. MLB

MLB is a far bigger need than TE IMO...I would also put centre well above TE if we wanted to take a guy like Barrett Jones.

From personal value I would take Jones over Ertz.

But Kellen Davis is the worst starter in this team bar none and it is an important position in the offense and allows for a balance coverage to be run. Bennett might just suck and Jeffery has not developed to the point where he draws coverage away from Marshall.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

1. OT
2. LG
3 a. TE
3 b. MLB

From personal value I would take Jones over Ertz.

But Kellen Davis is the worst starter in this team bar none and it is an important position in the offense and allows for a balance coverage to be run. Bennett might just suck and Jeffery has not developed to the point where he draws coverage away from Marshall.

Davis might be the worst starter on the team…but he is also a starter at a position that isn’t anywhere near as important as some of the other positions where we clearly need help…i.e MLB…Bennett doesn’t suck in the slightest…he just never gets the opportunity that he deserves…my biggest grip when it comes to personnel is that Hester still plays more offensive snaps that Bennett does which is stupidity…Jeffery hasn’t developed because he hasn’t had much opportunity too…the guy has only played in 10 games and has been slowed twice with injury…he has shown enough to prove that if he can stay healthy and come in off the offseason in shape and motivated he could be a very good #2.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still amused how we went from "Kellen Davis is gonna break out" to talking about how to get the slightest bit of production at TE in a 4-5 month span. Laughing
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of the draft, which option to you guys think is most likely?
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
I'm still amused how we went from "Kellen Davis is gonna break out" to talking about how to get the slightest bit of production at TE in a 4-5 month span. Laughing

This is amusing to me, as well.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chisoxguy7 wrote:
Outside of the draft, which option to you guys think is most likely?

AZ called it month ago…the best available FA TE is going to be Zach Miller…there is no way he is going to be retained in Seattle…he is due a base salary in 2013 of $6.8 million with another $3 million in a roster bonus…this year he has been vastly underused catching just 35 balls for 378 yards and 3 TDs…he has the all-around skill set we need at TE.
abdi7451

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, we need an O-Line. TE's come second.

Trade Hester and a 2014 Draft pick for Jermaine Gresham. lol.

Shoutouts to Delphi on the sig!

Adopt-a-Bear: Matt Blanchard l QB l #4 l P-Squad
CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abdi7451 wrote:
Man, we need an O-Line. TE's come second.

Trade Hester and a 2014 Draft pick for Jermaine Gresham. lol.

Hester has no value in a trade and we shouldn't be trading away any more draft picks unless we're getting more in return. We only have 5 as it is right now.

FG: 25/28 XP: 41/42 LNG: 58 Yards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: