Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles Needs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Withmy89vision

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleBlueDon wrote:
Meco wrote:
"Everything needs an upgrade", everything needs an upgrade? Yeah, I'm not seeing that you guys. I see spots that could and should be upgraded but I see very few true, set in stone, needs.

In my mind, we need to rebuild the defensive backfield and add a starting offensive tackle. That's it. And saying "that's it" kind of belies the fact that overhauling the defensive backs and bringing in a new starter at OT (and thus reshuffling the whole OL) are significant changes.

You can win with the guys we have at WR, TE, RB, DE, DT and LB. I don't really see why we "must" upgrade these spots and overhaul the entire roster. That's just dumb. Sure, some guys are upgradable and/or flawed (Celek and Jackson for example) but they have their positive traits and you can most assuredly win with them as your starters. And Nick Foles simply getting more experience is an upgrade in and of itself.

And the constant barrage of slander hurled at Jeremy Maclin here is dumb. If you take out the Redskins game where Foles and the OL were awful and Maclin suffered because of it, he's averaged over 6 receptions and nearly 80 yards per game since Nick Foles took over. Like I tried to say when defending Maclin earlier, Michael Vick's scattershot, streetball style didn't suit Maclin and a precise, accurate pocket passer (ala Foles) is what he needed.
+1

Somewhat agree, but both our safeties are lackluster, and one of them being lackluster would be fine if the other was good and our corners were living up to potential. Overall we need to boost our secondary.

Then our offensive line needs help more than people think. Mathis is almost always injured and he is getting older. Jason Peters is coming off a real serious injury and he was always injury prone, and he's getting older. Same with Herremans. Then Kelce is coming off a season-ending injury.

We should draft a tackle early to start opposite Peters. Herremans replaces Watkins, and Watkins will be the main back-up guard behind Mathis and Herremans. Hopefully he develops on the bench, if not oh well, another bust by Reid. I'm okay with Kelly being the main back-up tackle and then we can also kick Herremans back out there and bring Watkins in at guard. Then we need a reliable center behind Kelce.

If our draft consisted of nothing but OTs, OCs, and DBs I would be fine with that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Withmy89vision wrote:
EagleBlueDon wrote:
Meco wrote:
"Everything needs an upgrade", everything needs an upgrade? Yeah, I'm not seeing that you guys. I see spots that could and should be upgraded but I see very few true, set in stone, needs.

In my mind, we need to rebuild the defensive backfield and add a starting offensive tackle. That's it. And saying "that's it" kind of belies the fact that overhauling the defensive backs and bringing in a new starter at OT (and thus reshuffling the whole OL) are significant changes.

You can win with the guys we have at WR, TE, RB, DE, DT and LB. I don't really see why we "must" upgrade these spots and overhaul the entire roster. That's just dumb. Sure, some guys are upgradable and/or flawed (Celek and Jackson for example) but they have their positive traits and you can most assuredly win with them as your starters. And Nick Foles simply getting more experience is an upgrade in and of itself.

And the constant barrage of slander hurled at Jeremy Maclin here is dumb. If you take out the Redskins game where Foles and the OL were awful and Maclin suffered because of it, he's averaged over 6 receptions and nearly 80 yards per game since Nick Foles took over. Like I tried to say when defending Maclin earlier, Michael Vick's scattershot, streetball style didn't suit Maclin and a precise, accurate pocket passer (ala Foles) is what he needed.
+1

Somewhat agree, but both our safeties are lackluster, and one of them being lackluster would be fine if the other was good and our corners were living up to potential. Overall we need to boost our secondary.

Then our offensive line needs help more than people think. Mathis is almost always injured and he is getting older. Jason Peters is coming off a real serious injury and he was always injury prone, and he's getting older. Same with Herremans. Then Kelce is coming off a season-ending injury.

We should draft a tackle early to start opposite Peters. Herremans replaces Watkins, and Watkins will be the main back-up guard behind Mathis and Herremans. Hopefully he develops on the bench, if not oh well, another bust by Reid. I'm okay with Kelly being the main back-up tackle and then we can also kick Herremans back out there and bring Watkins in at guard. Then we need a reliable center behind Kelce.

If our draft consisted of nothing but OTs, OCs, and DBs I would be fine with that.

Mathis has started 29 of 30 possible games for the Eagles over the past two seasons. Confused

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me the best players available - we need talent.

However, overall we need a plan. What is going to be our motive? What is our team going to be about?

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Meco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
Give me the best players available - we need talent.

However, overall we need a plan. What is going to be our motive? What is our team going to be about?

The idea in my head goes something like this:

Commit to the running game on offense. We might have the most talented set of running backs in the entire league. LeSean McCoy is obviously a star. Bryce Brown has flashed incredible talent, talent that isn't easy to come by. Dion Lewis produces when he gets handed the ball and is a nice, quick little change of pace option. And we've got the most productive runner in Washington history sitting on the bench after an impressive pre-season. And Havili has been the best fullback we've had in a long time as a run blocker, better than Weaver.

And then bring in a defensive coach that can get our players into position to create turnovers. If Rex Ryan is fired he has to be priority #1 as a defensive coordinator. Otherwise I'd love to get a guy who runs a more zone oriented scheme like Perry Fewell, - Jauron or someone from the Bears staff (Lovie if he's fired or Hoke if Lovie isn't).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meco wrote:
Withmy89vision wrote:
EagleBlueDon wrote:
Meco wrote:

+1

Mathis has started 29 of 30 possible games for the Eagles over the past two seasons. Confused

He missed a game last year.

He also missed 3 the year before, 3 in '09, 4 in '08, all of '07, one in '06 and then he didn't play his rookie year. This will be his 8th year of starting and he'll be 32. Not ancient, but how many years do you expect him to have left? Than what are you going to do when he's gone? If you don't prepare now with a project, then you will be forced to spend a high pick or a lot of money for one or you will have a big hole.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you consider guard to be a major need for this team (I do), then this is the draft class to address the issue.

Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper, Dallas Thomas, and Barrett Jones.

If you don't like Barrett Jones, you need to watch tape of the Georgia game. He abused John Jenkins in the second half.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollEagles wrote:
Well if you consider guard to be a major need for this team (I do), then this is the draft class to address the issue.

If you don't like Barrett Jones, you need to watch tape of the Georgia game. He abused John Jenkins in the second half.

Why do you think OG is such a strong need?
RollEagles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoHypeNeeded wrote:
RollEagles wrote:

Why do you think OG is such a strong need?

The way I look at it, we can address the needs of this offensive line with either a guard or a tackle.

So when I say said that I think guard is a need, I should have clarified.

If we draft a tackle, we can bump Herremans back to guard and have this line:

Peters - Mathis - Kelce - Herremans - Rooke Tackle

If we draft a guard, we can keep Herremans at tackle and have this line:

Peters - Mathis - Kelce - Rookie Guard - Herremans.

I think either way, we would have a good line. So I really think that the need is one offensive lineman. Could be either a guard or a tackle but is a major need.

And when I say rookie guard or rookie tackle, I'm talking about a stud. Not a 5th-7th round pick. Or even a 3rd or 4th round pick. I'm talking about a dominant starting offensive lineman that will be a strength and not just a "meh" starter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I feel you. Yeah, I feel we should get a OT so Herremans can go back to being an OG which is where he's best at.
RollEagles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoHypeNeeded wrote:
Ah, I feel you. Yeah, I feel we should get a OT so Herremans can go back to being an OG which is where he's best at.

That is really what I would prefer. The more I think about it, I want us to sign a FA tackle. That way it'll open up what we can do in the draft.

There are so many things that a new head coach could do with this team. That's why I think our head coaching job is going to be more appealing than a lot of people are making it out to be.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread reminds me of the thread where some of you thought Jason Peters should be benched.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: