Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles Needs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Eagles Needs Reply with quote

What do you think our biggest needs are heading into next year?

I actually think our biggest needs as of now are our huge hole at right guard/ol depth and our lack of safeties.

Which I think are kind of weird needs for such a bad team.

How would you order our needs?

1. Safety- If we have 4 new safeties next year I wouldn't mind.

2. Right Guard- Watkins is a bust(called it) and now we are looking to fill this position again. Also need overall depth on the Oline. Could add a young center guard and tackle.

3. Corner- This kind of depends on how FA shakes out. If we get rid of Nnamdi and let DRC go I would put this at 2 or 1. Regardless I think it is something we should address with an earlier pick.

4. DE- Trent Cole was having a down year, brandon graham has shown some life. Curry is a promising prospect. But lack of pass rush this season was a big problem for our D.

5. WR- We kind of have a crappy group. Deep WR draft I hope we can pick someone.

6. DT- Still don't know what our dline scheme will call for next year, but we could be on the market for a nose tackle.

7. QB- This could easily be higher up on the list, but I just can't see a scenario where this can be addressed properly this offseason.

8. SAM linebacker- Putting this at the end for now because we really don't know what we will need out of the position yet.

What are your ideas?

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
Kempes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This years off-season needs to go better than ever because there's so many positions that need seriously addressing. I'm praying that Peters can come back the same player so we don't have to make OT a high priority in the draft and can look elsewhere.

- Our secondary needs a major overhaul
- LB's aren't too bad as long as Ryans is still here
- D-line is average but could become very good with some off-season attention

- If Foles is going to be a starter he needs some competition
- O-line needs attention even if Peters comes back
- WR has been weak this year, 6'4 solid receiver would be a godsend
Meco

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tackle - You've got two 30+ tackles coming off of IR. One, a former guard with a foot injury who struggled at times this season. The other, a premier tackle coming off of two of the same catastrophic injury that has a high propensity for lingering effects that tend to last at least one season.

Draft a young left tackle (i.e. Joeckel) who can anchor your line for a decade, move Jason Peters to RT (where he was previously dominant in Buffalo) and slide Todd Herremans back inside (where between he and Evan Mathis, surely one could play RG). Problems solved.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meco wrote:
Tackle - You've got two 30+ tackles coming off of IR. One, a former guard with a foot injury who struggled at times this season. The other, a premier tackle coming off of two of the same catastrophic injury that has a high propensity for lingering effects that tend to last at least one season.

Draft a young left tackle (i.e. Joeckel) who can anchor your line for a decade, move Jason Peters to RT (where he was previously dominant in Buffalo) and slide Todd Herremans back inside (where between he and Evan Mathis, surely one could play RG). Problems solved.

Peters and Herremans are both only 30. I don't see why people freak out about their age.

Peters injury happened a long time before the season even started, reports were he was able to run a month or so ago. He can run, he can play.

Herremans injury is very rare but all players to ever have it have come back just fine.

So I'm not really worried about either injuries and they aren't really that old. They are probably both have 4-5 years left before retirement easily.

Also why would you take a 3x all pro left tackle and move him to right tackle for a rookie?

You realize you actually typed those words right?

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
Meco

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
Meco wrote:

Peters and Herremans are both only 30. I don't see why people freak out about their age.

Peters injury happened a long time before the season even started, reports were he was able to run a month or so ago. He can run, he can play.

Herremans injury is very rare but all players to ever have it have come back just fine.

So I'm not really worried about either injuries and they aren't really that old. They are probably both have 4-5 years left before retirement easily.

Also why would you take a 3x all pro left tackle and move him to right tackle for a rookie?

You realize you actually typed those words right?

Yeah, I did. I don't know how familiar you are with other players who have suffered ONE torn achilles but they very clearly do not get their explosiveness back until their second season after the injury if they ever get it back at all. Torn achilles aren't torn ACLs, they've ended careers and still do. And lets not ignore the fact that Todd Herremans wasn't very good this season.

DeMeco Ryans for example. He still isn't back to pre-torn-achilles form. Haven't you noticed that Ryans is late to his spots in coverage? Doesn't get great depth on his drops? And doesn't flow sideline to sideline like he used to? He's still an asset between the tackles but his coverage skills and range still aren't what they were. Jon Beason. Tore his last year. Was having a bad year, the worst of his career, prior to tearing his ACL this season (which occasionally happens when players legs aren't up to par). Ma'ake Kemoeatu went from the starting NT of the Redskins to an end of the bench guy. Mikell LeShoure went from a guy who put up 37" vertical jump and a 1.53 10 yard split after putting up 17 TDs and nearly 1700 yards in his last college season to one of the least explosive, plodding runners in the NFL.

He's not going to be 100% right away and that's a fact. If you're blind to that, whatever, that's your problem. And he might never regain all of his athleticism, he tore his achilles twice after all. And combine these injuries with the fact that he's going to be 31 and is already entering the twilight of his career. If he doesn't have all of his abilities, you're making a mistake. If he does play well, you're just putting off the problem.

Why don't you take Jason Peters, older and injured, and put him on the right side where he can be afforded more help and face inferior strong-side pass rushers.

And if Jason Peters is back to normal but you've drafted Luke Joeckel, GREAT. That's a fantastic problem to have. You probably have the best set of tackles in the league and you can move Herremans inside.

If Jason Peters isn't 100%, let him play out his days as a RT and he'll likely be just fine over there. And then draft a left tackle and you have a guy that could anchor your line long after Peters, Mathis and Herremans are gone. That's just fine.

I can't believe that you don't think OT is a need.

Last edited by Meco on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
marky_b27

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, we've got uncertainty around the offensive line position. We don't want to be in the position where Peters isn't at 100% or injures himself again.

Location: Eagles Forum HOF + Gold Standard 2014, Bringer of the Cavalry
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade every draft pick for the next 40 years on OL and Safeties

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tackle is a need...because let's face it almost every single position can be improved. But I think it'd be dumb to blow our earliest pick in what 14 years on Joeckel or anyone else. If any of them were Pace or Ogden level prospects I say yea you take them....but they aren't.

The smartest pick would be Barrett Jones in the 2nd because he has played every line position...so he'd be quality depth and can play RG.

But who knows...Watkins wasn't a terrible prospect, and at least showed some flashes....maybe the new line scheme unlocks his potential.

And Peters is a little different Meco than all those othe Achilles injuries just because of when he did it. He'll have an extra 6-9 months going into his first game back than they did.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
I kind of want to taste it
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryans was never great in coverage. Yeah it Got worse, but lets Not act Like Ryans doesn't look Like he's back.

Kemoeatu is terrible, was with Redskins as Well.

Somewhere between 2 and 4 new starters in the Secondary. SAM. Big NT? Depth or starter at DE. Starter or depth at OL. TE or WR? QB competition.

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
Kiltman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles 2013 Needs
    1) FA/SS
    2) RG
    3) SAM
    4) OL Depth
    5) CB
    6) WR
    7) TE
    8) DE
    9) DT
    *QB

I'd say Safety is our biggest hole by far....luckily Free Agency potentially and the draft is littered with quality safeties.

Then RG, which I'll at least mention that Jake Scott hasn't been terrible. Next is just depth along the oline...especially the interior

SAM lb- Andy and Bowles realized what we all thought from the start that Kendrick's belongs on the weakside. So we have a hole at SAM.

Corners....I think DRC and Nnandi would look much different with NFL safeties backing them up. But it'd be smart to add on along the way...especially if DRC walks.

WR - Maclin is in a contract year, Desean will never take over a game for you. So adding a true #1 wouldn't be a bad idea. Bowe in FA or Terrance Williams in the draft fit the bill off the top of my head.

TE....Celek is solid....there are worse backups than Harbor...but we could use a more capable #2 at least.

4th DE- Trent still has years left in him, but we could use another DE for sure in the rotation.

DT- Who knows who makes it into the next regime...but adding another young talented DT makes sense.

*Qb- this is a special circumstance...because if the Coach likes Foles or god forbid wants to keep Vick...than this need is here. But idlf he wants neither then this immediately becomes number 1. I've seen enough from Foles that I'm willing to give him a shot next season...but the next coach may not agree.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
I kind of want to taste it
Meco

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiltman wrote:
Tackle is a need...because let's face it almost every single position can be improved. But I think it'd be dumb to blow our earliest pick in what 14 years on Joeckel or anyone else. If any of them were Pace or Ogden level prospects I say yea you take them....but they aren't.

Yikes. That's some PowerElite-type stuff right there. With that logic we shouldn't be making any draft picks. Guys like Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Walter Jones are rare, some of the best to ever play the spot. That's like saying "There is no Peyton Manning or Joe Montana at the top of the draft, I don't want to take any QB" or "I don't see a guy like Reggie White or Deacon Jones, no thanks on a DE". It's precisely like saying "Jason Avant isn't like Percy Harvin or Victor Cruz so he is inept". It's simply illogical.

And I hardly think using a pick on a guy like Luke Joeckel would be "blowing it". Unless of course, you think having a top of the line LT who can anchor the line for upwards of a decade is "blowing it". You make it seem as if Joeckel is some mediocre guy, he's widely regarded as one of the top two prospects in this draft and the most valuable LT prospect since Joe Thomas.

And when you consider the pieces we already have in place on the offense at the skill positions and a developing QB, I don't think investing in the OL is "blowing it".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need everything besides a runningback.
ianlewis16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remixxxxxxx wrote:

this thread doesn't need to go any further than this.

Blahman88 wrote:
I control the EBB.......except Ian, no body can control him
willy_law

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianlewis16 wrote:
Remixxxxxxx wrote:

this thread doesn't need to go any further than this.

yeah, literally every position needs an upgrade besides that.

I would say getting a RT to allow the Todd Father to kick inside would be key
Overhauling our secondary
and retooling the Offense. meaning bye bye Celek ( if we can), Avant and probs Maclin or Jackson
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S, OT (kick Todd inside)
WR, SAM
DT, DE
CB, OG/C, TE

QB is a wild card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: