Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Reviewing the Tampa Game - Coach's Tape

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reviewing the Tampa Game - Coach's Tape Reply with quote

Alright guys, figured you guys would be interested in another opportunity to see the coach's tape on some plays against Tampa. There is one thing I wanted to say before we do that, after some discussion on Sam's game, I wanted to go over the ending sequence that saw Sam go 1-7 for -4 yards after the TD to Pettis to make it 28-6. At that point, Sam was 12/20 for 200 yards, 2 TDs and 1 int. That would have left his game with a 60% completion%, 10 YPA and 106.3 QBR.

However, he had a terrible stretch to end it(after the game was out of reach) and ended up with an 81.7 QBR, 7.3 YPA and 48% completion%.

Those 7 attempts were as follows:
Attempt #1 - 30+ yard pass play dropped by Quick after the pass is delivered exactly when and where it needs to be...with a broken tackle or a bad angle, Quick might have taken this play the distance

Attempt #2 - Sam under heavy pressure, just throws the ball to get rid of it...a little of target but hits Mulligan in both hands and he drops it

Attempt #3 - 3rd down slant purposefully thrown behind Gibson because of the defender in front of him...goes off his hands incomplete

Attempt #4 - Danny makes a nice move on the defender to catch him flat footed and facing the inside of the field, Sam throws the out but Amendola continues up-field a few yards before making his break...miscommunication...Amendola takes the blame after the play

Attempt #5 - Under heavy pressure, Sam's arm is hit while he's throwing to Amendola, ball is too low for Amendola or the DB to make a play on...Sam probably should have tried to throw it sooner to Kendricks but Kendricks didn't turn his head...it appeared there was no hot route on the play...that's a problem

Attempt #6 - Sam scrambles away from a sack and throws the ball away

Attempt #7 - Screen pass to SJ...tackled for a loss

Anyways, here are a few plays I wanted to high-light:

The play I mentioned earlier, Danny sets up the DB with a really nice stutter step and has him turned around, just has to break to the outside on the out route and it's an easy gain. However, he continues to stutter step for a few more yards before finally making his break...at this point, the ball is already out there as Sam anticipated him making the break at the first picture. Danny is shown raising his hand in the second picture to take the blame for the miscommunication.

I'd say this is Sam's only glaring misread of the game. He has SJ wide open underneath on a second down as well as Amendola about to break open as he crosses the face of the LB. Also might have been able to hit the WR to the far right on a deep ball. While hitting Amendola is not an easy throw, Sam had more than enough room to make the throw into the window. Instead, he throws to McNeill who is well covered and it's knocked down. He really needs to do a better job of dumping it off to SJ, he too often overlooks the open HB and when he does go there, it's often too late. Something I've been impressed with Luck on is that he's very good at hitting the HB out of the back-field quickly. On 1st and 2nd downs, those are often easy 5 to 7 yard plays(if not more) that put you in a favorable 3rd down. Sam seems to try to do too much at times, he needs to look there sooner imo. If that's by offensive design, Schotty needs to take notice of that and make changes.

In the first picture, I wanted to show Sam passing up 2 really good underneath options again on 2nd down. Take the easy yardage. That said, I don't blame him for going deep, it was 1 on 1 coverage on the outside. Understandable he takes that shot but I wouldn't fault him at all for taking the smart throw their underneath...don't try and do too much...take what the defense gives you. I wanted to show with the second picture that the ball is a little short which actually gives Givens the advantage here as the DB has his back to it. During the game, I said Givens should have come up with that one(people thought I was a bit crazy) and I stand by it. As he gets more experience, he'll need to learn to be more physical there. Fight to get to the football, by that I mean, putting a subtle hand on the defender's back or side to push him up-field then working your way back to the football will often win you that battle. I see veteran WRs do it all the time.

Defense bites on the play-action, Sam leads Pettis into the end-zone for an easy score. Great play-call by Schottenheimer. I've actually really liked his red-zone play-calling of late.

Sam would love this throw back. Danny embarrassed his man here with the out route and all Sam has to do is hit for an easy gain. Sam throws the ball on the run and it sails on him out of Danny's reach.

Just an amazing throw here. Sam puts a lot of zip on it to squeeze it between 3 defenders and throws it high to get it over the LB. A very nice throw to fit it into the window and move the chains. Great catch by Givens too.

Great read, perfect time and perfect throw on this play...Lance does a nice job pulling it in. Lance runs a double move, Sam throws it right when it needs to be thrown, gets it over the LBs and has enough zip on it to get to Kendricks before Barber gets there. Barber actually does a great job of reading and jumping the play but he gets beat by Sam and Lance executing the play to perfection.

Finally, we show the 80 yard TD to Kendricks. The LBs bite hard on the play-action, the SS has to slide over top of the WR at the bottom of the picture which leaves the seam wide open and a massive hole for Lance to rumble through for a TD. Sam hits him in stride about 15 to 18 yards down the field, Danny makes a nice block and Lance rumbles in untouched(until he was tackled going into the end-zone). Perfect play-call, an unselfish hustle play and great execution by all.

Anyways, that's it. I happen to think, despite the stats, that Sam actually had a real strong game. There wasn't a lot of separation but he made a lot of good throws and like I said, the only play where I felt he really missed a read badly was the play I showed of Amendola. Otherwise, he had a good game. Missed a couple throws but it happens.

On the int, after reviewing it, it wasn't too bad of a play. The ball needed to be thrown more to the sideline but Gorrer did bite on the double move...he just didn't bit hard and was able to flip his hips and run with Danny. Sam released it as Gorrer was breaking on the double move and gave Danny a shot. It just shows that Danny does have his weaknesses...that being his lack of vertical speed. On the play, nobody was open until Mulligan finally was able to beat the LB who was pressing him and settle into a seam in the middle of the field but by that time, Sam was already in the midst of releasing the ball. Dangers of the deep ball...throw wasn't good and WR didn't get enough separation.

I'd also like to say that Schotty needs to do a better job with his consistency. He had us really effectively attacking the seam and the middle of the field then he went away from it. I'd also like to see him use more bunch sets, man beater routes(crossing routes) and drag routes when we're facing tight man coverage. That said, he's doing a solid job. He seems to get better too as the year goes on. I don't think he's a great OC but he's not a bad one either. Just average.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
tim199009

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrry nice break down of this film as usual you are coming through with some valuable input. But id like to give some insight on what i saw, i was at the game had some good seats and from my angle i saw alot.

One thing ive noticed about sam bradford that i didnt notice watching him on camera, is that he hesitates to make throws alot. One perfect example im not sure if its one of the plays you have up there... But it was in the third quarter, danny amendola runs a quick out route, as the ball is snapped sam bradford snaps his head right to danny, when danny makes his break and is clearly open sam is still eyeing but waits like one or two seconds before he pulls the trigger and the ball goes sailing above danny's head. If sam times it as soon as he makes the break, danny is running for at least 10 yards.

edit:
Quote:
Sam would love this throw back. Danny embarrassed his man here with the out route and all Sam has to do is hit for an easy gain. Sam throws the ball on the run and it sails on him out of Danny's reach.

yea this is the one, he was clearly watching danny the whole time, im not sure why he didnt throw it sooner
El ramster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think that we let off the gas! I know our engine goes 5 mph full speed but still. There has been games were we could have stat padded but just kept it melo. Thanks Kerry Laughing

BBL

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, great write up and appreciated!
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
ajhicks11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these. Thank you for sharing.

How do you get access to the coaches tape?
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhicks11 wrote:
I love these. Thank you for sharing.

How do you get access to the coaches tape?

NFL Rewind has them. Subscription service.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim199009 wrote:
Jrry nice break down of this film as usual you are coming through with some valuable input. But id like to give some insight on what i saw, i was at the game had some good seats and from my angle i saw alot.

One thing ive noticed about sam bradford that i didnt notice watching him on camera, is that he hesitates to make throws alot. One perfect example im not sure if its one of the plays you have up there... But it was in the third quarter, danny amendola runs a quick out route, as the ball is snapped sam bradford snaps his head right to danny, when danny makes his break and is clearly open sam is still eyeing but waits like one or two seconds before he pulls the trigger and the ball goes sailing above danny's head. If sam times it as soon as he makes the break, danny is running for at least 10 yards.

edit:
Quote:

yea this is the one, he was clearly watching danny the whole time, im not sure why he didnt throw it sooner

I thought that he did a really good job in this game of getting the ball out on time. The 20 yard in route to Gibson was thrown with perfect timing as was the 13 or 14 yard sideline comeback to Givens. He anticipated both routes and made the throw as they went into their cuts. There are also a couple throws on here that show good timing.

In the past, that has been a problem though(Sam waiting too long).

In the case of that play, I think he could have thrown it earlier as you said. My only guess was that he was waiting a bit to either better set himself up on the run mechanically to make the throw or to allow the outside WR on the play to clear out the CB to give Danny more room to run once he made the catch. But those are only guesses.

tim199009

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
tim199009 wrote:

edit:
Quote:

I thought that he did a really good job in this game of getting the ball out on time. The 20 yard in route to Gibson was thrown with perfect timing as was the 13 or 14 yard sideline comeback to Givens. He anticipated both routes and made the throw as they went into their cuts. There are also a couple throws on here that show good timing.

In the case of that play, I think he could have thrown it earlier as you said. My only guess was that he was waiting a bit to either better set himself up on the run mechanically to make the throw or to allow the outside WR on the play to clear out the CB to give Danny more room to run once he made the catch. But those are only guesses.

Your right he did make some good throws on the day but in the second half is where i noticed it the most. You could tell from my angle that he predetermines who he wants to throw to(not necessarily locks on to them). But regardless if he stares them down or not i think in he knows where he wants to go with the ball before the snap. I think thats why we see him missing alot of open receivers.
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim199009 wrote:

Your right he did make some good throws on the day but in the second half is where i noticed it the most. You could tell from my angle that he predetermines who he wants to throw to(not necessarily locks on to them). But regardless if he stares them down or not i think in he knows where he wants to go with the ball before the snap. I think thats why we see him missing alot of open receivers.

Disagree entirely on this. I think the 7 yard curl route to Kendricks is the best example. Sam went through 3 progressions on that play in under 2 seconds.

I specifically saw it on coach's film. It was very impressive. And he got the ball out on time to hit Kendricks coming out of his break. That was Kendricks as his 3rd progression.

It seems to me that there are plays where he locks on but that's based on reading the defense. For instance, that deep route to Givens that was knocked away, he was going there from the beginning...but it did make sense. There was no safety over the top and Givens was going against a rookie CB who he had a major speed advantage over. He just didn't beat his man 1 on 1. Happens.

But for the most part, Sam does a nice job of going through his progression. Just doesn't always make the right decision. Like on the misread I showed with Amendola over the middle, he did his progressions and obviously saw Amendola but for whatever reason decided not to go there.

Now, what I have noticed is that he often doesn't see the HB in the flat or underneath until it's two late...seems like it's by design though as it appears to be his last progression. If I were Schotty, I'd alter that so we can pick-up more easy yardage on 1st and 2nd downs.

Ignore27Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim199009 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
tim199009 wrote:

edit:
Quote:

I have noticed the predetermined throws as well. It does not happen often enough for me to remember specific plays but I think Sam likes the matchup/route and is throwing with confidence that the receiver will beat their man.
tim199009

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
tim199009 wrote:

Disagree entirely on this. I think the 7 yard curl route to Kendricks is the best example. Sam went through 3 progressions on that play in under 2 seconds.

I specifically saw it on coach's film. It was very impressive. And he got the ball out on time to hit Kendricks coming out of his break. That was Kendricks as his 3rd progression.

It seems to me that there are plays where he locks on but that's based on reading the defense. For instance, that deep route to Givens that was knocked away, he was going there from the beginning...but it did make sense. There was no safety over the top and Givens was going against a rookie CB who he had a major speed advantage over. He just didn't beat his man 1 on 1. Happens.

But for the most part, Sam does a nice job of going through his progression. Just doesn't always make the right decision. Like on the misread I showed with Amendola over the middle, he did his progressions and obviously saw Amendola but for whatever reason decided not to go there.

Now, what I have noticed is that he often doesn't see the HB in the flat or underneath until it's two late...seems like it's by design though as it appears to be his last progression. If I were Schotty, I'd alter that so we can pick-up more easy yardage on 1st and 2nd downs.

He does go through his progressions im not going to argue that, but to me it seems like he does it to look off defenders, just to snap his eyes back to where he has his heart set out on to begin with. Thats just what i see, but ive been over critically of sam lately anyways

and im not saying he doesnt ever go through progressions succesfully, when he does you see the flashes of potential, but more often then not i believe its the opposite.
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim199009 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
tim199009 wrote:

He does go through his progressions im not going to argue that, but to me it seems like he does it to look off defenders, just to snap his eyes back to where he has his heart set out on to begin with. Thats just what i see, but ive been over critically of sam lately anyways

and im not saying he doesnt ever go through progressions succesfully, when he does you see the flashes of potential, but more often then not i believe its the opposite.

Nah. Not at all. I don't know if you have the Coach's film access but it gives you a great angle on the QB and the OL. He pretty clearly goes through progressions, typically goes from left to right or right to left.

The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
tim199009 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
tim199009 wrote:

Nah. Not at all. I don't know if you have the Coach's film access but it gives you a great angle on the QB and the OL. He pretty clearly goes through progressions, typically goes from left to right or right to left.

As opposed to what other directions? Thanks for the write up. I can see both of your points above.

I was driving to the Lou and listening to this game on the radio. Unfortunately, I lost signal during the first 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter. Can you tell me exactly what happened, because apparently it was madness.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:

As opposed to what other directions? Thanks for the write up. I can see both of your points above.

There are many different types of progression systems. Some are Hi-Low reads. Some will have 1 read then check-down. And then there are offenses like McDaniels that have no set progressions. You read the defense pre-snap and then choose the order of your progressions.

Quote:
I was driving to the Lou and listening to this game on the radio. Unfortunately, I lost signal during the first 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter. Can you tell me exactly what happened, because apparently it was madness.

This is based purely off memory so it may not be 100% right but on the first play of the second half, we ran a play-action that drew up the LBs and left Kendricks wide open down the seam. Sam hit Kendricks and Kendricks split the safeties...Danny made a key block to take out both safeties in pursuit and Kendricks was able to rumble in for an 80 yard TD.

Then TB got the ball, I think they ran 2 plays and on the second play, Trumaine Johnson(maybe?) jumped a slant route and picked it off. After that, we ran I think 6 plays with Sam going 3/3 for 24 yards culminating in a 5 yard TD pass to Pettis.

So in that short time, the Bucs did nothing on offense, Sam went 4/4 for 104 yards and 2 TDs and the Rams went from being up 14-6 to being up 28-6.

The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

There are many different types of progression systems. Some are Hi-Low reads. Some will have 1 read then check-down. And then there are offenses like McDaniels that have no set progressions. You read the defense pre-snap and then choose the order of your progressions.

Quote:

This is based purely off memory so it may not be 100% right but on the first play of the second half, we ran a play-action that drew up the LBs and left Kendricks wide open down the seam. Sam hit Kendricks and Kendricks split the safeties...Danny made a key block to take out both safeties in pursuit and Kendricks was able to rumble in for an 80 yard TD.

Then TB got the ball, I think they ran 2 plays and on the second play, Trumaine Johnson(maybe?) jumped a slant route and picked it off. After that, we ran I think 6 plays with Sam going 3/3 for 24 yards culminating in a 5 yard TD pass to Pettis.

So in that short time, the Bucs did nothing on offense, Sam went 4/4 for 104 yards and 2 TDs and the Rams went from being up 14-6 to being up 28-6.

I was kinda just busting your balls on the reads thing, but thanks for filling me in on the early third quarter scoring. It was pretty annoying to miss the most crucial action that took place in the game. This Rams team is pretty good fellas. Very Happy

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: