Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Need vs BPA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neauone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Draft Need vs BPA Reply with quote

Okay here we are months before the NFL draft and we have a top 10 pick.

Plenty of talent here and there are many options available to the organization, including moving down in the draft and picking up more draft picks.

Regardless of what the Jets do, my question is do we go need or BPA.
While some will agree with me that the offensive line must be addressed, others say it can be addressed later on in the draft.

Needless to say, many of us want the Jets to address the QB position, but when and would we be better off waiting until next year to fill that need?

So do we take the BPA? My drawback with BPA is that it doesn't address our greater need and that would be strengthening our weakest link.
NOW, don't get me wrong if a guy like Revis is there , than for sure we go with BPA.
However, if not, than the need has to be addressed.
My point being having a team loaded with one specific type player and ignoring the obvious needs has hurt this team.

Case in point, the fan base for 4-5 years has been pointing out a need for a legit pass rusher. On defense this still is an area that needs to be addressed.

Today the fan base has been calling out for an improved OL and OL men. We have been doing it the past 3 years.
Had the jets addressed these two needs over the past 4 years I doubt we would be in the position we are in currently.
Tanny probably would still be the GM too.

So as much as I would like to take the BPA at this juncture we need to build up our weakest link.
BPA fall to teams in the 25-32 rounds, as well as the later rounds.
jetfuel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been a BPA no matter what. When you start to reach most of the time they end up as a bust or you could have gotten him by trading down or waiting on your next pick. If you continue to pick BPA then your team will be very good for the long hall.
xenajets

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we actually had a team in place which was playoff bound and possibly a superbowl winning side but say needed a dynamic wide receiver then fine reach a little but fill the need that may help you win a ring. In our case this is NOT a playoff team especially considering the fact that until 2014 our salary cap is awful. We go BPA who in the next 2-3years will be a stud for this team right when hopefully we have a good team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay true to your board. The jets have no business drafting a qb this year. Bpa is the best way to go. Fortunately for us a pass rusher should be there at 9. A legit back, wr, te, or ol should be there in round 2. Trading down is a possibility if you stay true to the board as well.

Mack on the Sig
rickyt31

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choose the BPA out of all our needs.

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
ekill08x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY_Jets87 wrote:
Stay true to your board. The jets have no business drafting a qb this year. Bpa is the best way to go. Fortunately for us a pass rusher should be there at 9. A legit back, wr, te, or ol should be there in round 2. Trading down is a possibility if you stay true to the board as well.

Yeah you wanna roll with Mark Sanchez for another year? Only way I wouldnt want a QB this year is if we sign Matt Moore, or Alex SMith.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
NY_Jets87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
NY_Jets87 wrote:

Yeah you wanna roll with Mark Sanchez for another year? Only way I wouldnt want a QB this year is if we sign Matt Moore, or Alex SMith.

I don't want to waste a pick on a potential bust. There are reasons why none of the qbs in this draft are ranked in the top 25. We could call philly I doubt chip will roll with Foles. But I rather wait a year. Sanchez will be here regardless. If our roster will look like [inappropriate/removed] anyway does it matter who the qb is.

Mack on the Sig
NY_Jets87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:

Exactly I just can see wasting a pick for sake of picking a need. Because if the guy sucks won't it still be a need anyway.

Mack on the Sig
RDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY_Jets87 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

Exactly I just can see wasting a pick for sake of picking a need. Because if the guy sucks won't it still be a need anyway.

BPA is the way to go, especially in the first round.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weaker teams often go BPA period, because they have so many needs and need a player to build around .
Example; Calvin Johnson/Lions , Pat Willis/49ers

Stronger teams go BPA in positions they are weak at since they are really good in other positions.
Example; Nick Perry/Packers , Jones & Hightower/Patriots.

For us, it's hard to tell what direction we should go right now.Because we don't see the next Megatron, Pat Willis, or AP in this draft yet. I think a lot of teams will go BPA because of the lack of elite talent in this draft.

Quote:
kbraun7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be BPA at a position that makes sense

example: Dee Milliner and Chance Warmack are the best on the board

Warmack makes more sense for the Jets then Milliner
Gang_Green03

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbraun7 wrote:
I think it should be BPA at a position that makes sense

example: Dee Milliner and Chance Warmack are the best on the board

Warmack makes more sense for the Jets then Milliner

Exactly, the answer is always the BPA at a relative need. If it's close you go with the greater need, otherwise you take the BPA. Obviously, within reason since you wouldn't take a player that has no place on your team but we're not talanted enough to be in that situation anyway.
green24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
weaker teams often go BPA period, because they have so many needs and need a player to build around .

Stronger teams go BPA in positions they are weak at since they are really good in other positions.

For us, it's hard to tell what direction we should go right now.Because we don't see the next Megatron, Pat Willis, or AP in this draft yet. I think a lot of teams will go BPA because of the lack of elite talent in this draft.

We already have players to build around.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

We already have players to build around.

Yeah I was adding to my first comment. Choose the BPA out of all of our needs. OLB, OG, QB, etc since we already have solid players. But we don't have anyone to build around on offense.

Quote:
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannenbaum had been using BPA. Now, we don't know what new GM's strategy.

I guess Jets will continue using BPA strategy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: