Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tell me about Rex Ryan's defense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiefer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Tell me about Rex Ryan's defense Reply with quote

Hi Jets fans!

As you guys may know, Chiefs hired your former LB Coach Bob Sutton as the DC.

Now I know he ran the defense before under Mangini and it was "conservative" to say the least. But that was a Patriots system similar to what Crennel ran, which Chiefs fans are well aware of. He says he's learned a lot from Rexy and is going to incorporate more that defensive style of football in KC.

So what info can you give me on the Ryan D? I've read that he runs a 46/34 hybrid is that true? How is the DL used? LBs? Any info would be fantastic thanks!
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is a simple answer...mainly because when Sutton was with Mangini he ran a read & react 3-4 that was almost nothing like Ryan's defense. Whether or not Sutton, whom has been with the team since the Al Groh days, would run a Mangini style defense, a Ryan style defense or a cover 2 style remains to be seen.

You did ask for Ryan's defense so here it is: it relies on a pass rush that begins with the DL and is aided by exotic blitz packages from LBs, safeties and even corners. Some times the Jets run a lot of zone blitzing, particularly when the pass rush is getting to the QB (2009), but there's also a lot of man coverage from the corners. Considering our personnel consists of two of the best man cover corners in the L, we use a lot of man coverage as well with a safety usually to blanket the corner that needs the help (the #2 usually.)

We run a 3-4, but Rex loves his DL and likes to use a lot of different DL. Our DL has a huge rotation and shows plenty of 4 and 5 man fronts.

Now, whether Sutton actually implements this in your defense remains to be seen. He seems to be quite alright running a 4-3 or a 3-4...so it will probably depend on what Andy wants to run.

Last edited by Colt45fool on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
jetskid007

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me about Rex Ryan's defense Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
Hi Jets fans!

Now I know he ran the defense before under Mangini and it was "conservative" to say the least. But that was a Patriots system similar to what Crennel ran, which Chiefs fans are well aware of. He says he's learned a lot from Rexy and is going to incorporate more that defensive style of football in KC.

So what info can you give me on the Ryan D? I've read that he runs a 46/34 hybrid is that true? How is the DL used? LBs? Any info would be fantastic thanks!

He mixes and matches a lot. It's all about the opposition. I would say his favorite package is the 46, but at the same time he's been changing his defense a little every year. This year especially he didn't use many LBs... he used a big DLine and a lot of DBs. I feel like that was out of necessity.

For you guys, I don't know what to expect from Bob. In 2008 he had a lot of talent on D, but we were the 16th ranked defense. In 2009, with basically the same personnel (add Lito Sheppard), we were 1st. We've had two defensive head coaches since he's been with the team so I guess this year will be the first time we actually see his defensive philosophy.
Davey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you should really expect because he was a defensive coordinator under the Jets before Rex Ryan was hired and was only kept on the staff by Rex to coach the linebackers.

As a coordinator his schemes were incredibly conservative and more akin to Belichick/Parcells type 3-4 than the much more aggressive and fluid defense Rex Ryan plays. But the question is how much did Mangini have to do with that, which we won't really know until we start seeing what Sutton does. Given the type of 3-4 that Pioli and Crennel were used to and what was being drafted for in Kansas City, I would wager that Sutton is being brought in for his coordinating experience in that style of defense than a more exotic defense.

Sutton coached under Ryan but he's not a Ryan protege. Honestly, Reid is probably leaning towards keeping consistency on one side of the ball with Kansas City while he makes the offense his own major project.
KBS756

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me about Rex Ryan's defense Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
Hi Jets fans!

Like others have mentioned he coached Linebackers under Rex so there really isnt playcalling to fall back on there as a reference. But when we was a coordinator he definitely wasnt anywhere as aggressive as Rex.
Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutton had been here since 2000 and had been with four different coaches--Al Groh, Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, and Rex Ryan.

You've got two read and react 3-4 defenses, a Cover 2, and a hybrid attacking 3-4 defense. I don't know if Sutton has changed his philosophy at all since Rex came on board, but he was known for being incredibly conservative--almost consistently dropping 7 and 8 into coverage.

I don't know if it was Mangini's influence or not, but in 2007, the Jets led the league in the most amount of 3-man rushes and 6-man rushes. Part of that I think was Mangini though, who revoked Sutton's play calling duties midway through that season.

Sutton is very, very conservative. But that might actually be okay in Kansas City since you already have very good pass rushing linebackers. During Sutton's time as coordinator, the Jets rush linebackers were awful.
Chiefer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot everyone!

Anyways as I expected you keep going back to Sutton's conservativeness, he's already stated he's going to run a more Rex Ryan style approach. He was the Assistant HC on top of being the LB coach while Rex was around, usually the Asst. HC helps in gameday planning. The "Rex Ryan Style" Could just be coachspeak, but I'm hopeful, we were the worst team in the league last year things can't get worse.Laughing

From what little I garnered from Reid he loves pressure/blitzing defenses, see: Jim Johnson. I'm sure in the interview Sutton was pressed on this a lot particularly the low pass defense stats, and he either convinced Reid he had changed his philosophy up or did a heck of a con job to get out of NY.

I'm hoping its not just a "Reid saw a 34 guy who has coached it before and brought him in on a whim thing"(Reid has stated as much that we'll keep the 34 defense, because the personnel is more suited for it) With Reid's coaching hires in Philly that is a concern.

Anyways thanks for the help its much appreciated, having rush LBs in place already can only help we just gotta fix up that DL I suppose..
teamorange

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex is a great x's and o's guy. If Sutton was smart and paid attention he might have learned a fair bit and opened up the playbook

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bright side, he does have a tendency to get the most out of linebackers who aren't exceptionally talented. I imagine with the Hali-Houston tandem he could work pretty well.

It's not a bad fit, actually. But a leopard doesn't change it's spots--so keep your expectations low in terms of play calling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: