Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How do we fix our QB Situation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:
No No NO, the people calling for Sanchez to play again are crazy. The guy is mentally shot. There is zero chance he will even step on the field again. The fans will crucify him, it's over for him.

Hopefully a good vet like (Smith or Flynn) get cut and if not then bring in Moore. He's a solid QB (but not the future). Bring in a late round guy (Jones, Dysert, Bray, Manuel) and let Moore play early and bring in the rook late in the year or just give him a full year to learn.

Sanchez needs to restructure so we free up some cap space and then needs to be gone next year.

My whole problem with this is that it's a flawed logic. The last time a team has drafted a QB late in the draft for that player to turn into a successful starter was Tom Brady in 2000. There have been over 150 quarterbacks drafted since then... you can't simply assume you can take a QB in the late round and develop that player into a starter.

The Jets are going to have a very tough decision to make this offseason, and it's one I believe is mainly turning off potential GM candidates with the Jets. Do you go into 2013 and essentially "stick" with Sanchez (have him compete with a lesser talent) --- if he tanks, draft the best QB available in 2014 if he sails, move forward --- or do you draft/sign a QB with no guarantee of seeing better results? The roster is talent depleted, so using a first on a QB may a big mistake in a "weak" class.

I've said it before I'd rather the Jets just go out and take a QB now, but it's still a huge risk and that choice would be entirely on the new GM. Your not sure what QBs will be available in round 2, so you can't "expect" to land one that you like... depending on what happens in round 1, there could be up to 5 QBs looking for QBs in round 2 that draft ahead of the Jets.

As much as it could end up being a wasted draft pick, my ideal scenario would be trade down in first round, pick up some picks, then trade up in round 2 if a QB you is there. If not, keep going about business in the draft and go with the best players available. If you do land the QB, hold an open competition and start the best QB regardless of situation --- media, fans, etc; the decision should be made by who's ready and who's not.

Yes hitting on a star that late is rare but why reach on a flawed QB just cause we need one. None of these guys in the early rounds appear to be anything but average. Yes it is a need and they will be an upgrade but if we reach and miss we could be setting ourselves back even further.

I'd much rather fix the other holes and go BPA. That's not a guarantee but it is the smartest strategy. Lets get the cap under control, fill some other holes and look to 2014 when there should be a few good ones coming out. Maybe we do hit on the late round guy but if not it's not a high pick and we can afford to draft another guy in 2014 when the better prospects will be there.

Let's not reach because of need.

Props to Mack on the sig
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quietjetsket wrote:
No way Jets will pay Sanchez 13m to do nothing. He is healthy and can play for Jets.

Right now, the offense has many flaws. OL blocking, rushing and passing.

Since we can't upgrade all at once, Jets should focus on blocking and rushing area for now. With budget permitted, Jets can focus on only passing area for 2014.

Ryan and company can win 9 games without solid passing.

You do realize Sanchez is the main reason for all those problems. His lack of passing and poor accuracy allows teams to stack the box and blitz at will since he can't consistently beat them. Yes his weapons weren't great but I can't sit here anymore and blame them. A good QB can raise the level of the players around him not consistently lean on them to help him.

Yes losing 13 mil off the cap for a guy doing nothing sucks but it's one year so you just have to eat it.

Sure give Sanchez a shot to win the job but if we bring in a young QB in the late round and a good vet I just don't even see him winning the job, he's been that bad.

Props to Mack on the sig
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quietjetsket wrote:
No way Jets will pay Sanchez 13m to do nothing. He is healthy and can play for Jets.

Since we can't upgrade all at once, Jets should focus on blocking and rushing area for now. With budget permitted, Jets can focus on only passing area for 2014.

We can win 9 games with no passing game, a middle of the road defense, and no running game? With a coach who knows his time is up? If we win 9 games next season, I will eat all the crow in the world, but that is extremely, extremely, wishful thinking.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice I agree with your strategy, but your contradicting yourself.

Your saying to go BPA and not reach on any QBs this year, rather take someone late and if they don't pan out then take a QB in 2014, but your also saying don't even consider starting Sanchez and spend more money a stop gap in free agency. I'm not saying Sanchez should start because of his salary, I just believe that the Jets might as well play out 2014 and see what Sanchez does under a new offensive staff rather then waste more money on a free agent. Sanchez should be looked at as a stop-gap right now, and if the Jets draft a QB in rounds 1-3 have them compete with Sanchez for the job.

I don't think Sanchez is the future of this franchise anymore. I think he's been corrupted and I have a hard time believing he can simply "forget" about the last two years. However, I don't see the logic in wasting more money on Alex Smith or Matt Flynn or even Matt Moore for that matter if they're just supposed to be a stop-gap. A stop-gap for who? Draft a QB in 2013 and if they prove to be ready in TC, start that guy. If not, do what San Fran did; start Mark Sanchez, develop gameplans to his strengths, and ditch them once the young QB is ready.
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with bringing in young qb of the future right now.

Rex Ryan may be gone after next season. Will OC be gone as well? What if new head coach wants qb of his choice next year.

After Jets struggling to land GM with Rex Ryan in the house, how would Jets have a success of landing new HC that will accept young qb of the future in the house.

Coryell system? Walsh system? EP system? There are not many OC who is that versatile in NFL and NCAA.

Sanchez had worked in Coryell system for many years before Sparano's EP kicked in. Switching back to Coryell OC may help Sanchez move the offense better. That is why Jets have interviewed Cam Cameron and Hue Jackson. Still, it is a problem as long term plan after 2013.

If Jets hire either Cameron or Jackson as OC then I can see Ryan Nassib being a Jet. Next year, Jets could promote Jackson to HC or hire Pete Caramichael Jr as HC. Coryell stays longer.

If Jets hire GM that only knows WCO or whatever then no qb should be drafted by Jets this year. Save qb for new head coach.
KBS756

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a confirmed interview with Hue Jackson for the OC spot?
RollTide99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would like to bring in Hue or Pep as I think they hsve the style of offense that would fit our personel
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
There was a confirmed interview with Hue Jackson for the OC spot?

So far I know, No. Jackson just finished the interview with Panthers.
green24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:
No No NO, the people calling for Sanchez to play again are crazy. The guy is mentally shot. There is zero chance he will even step on the field again. The fans will crucify him, it's over for him.

Hopefully a good vet like (Smith or Flynn) get cut and if not then bring in Moore. He's a solid QB (but not the future). Bring in a late round guy (Jones, Dysert, Bray, Manuel) and let Moore play early and bring in the rook late in the year or just give him a full year to learn.

Sanchez needs to restructure so we free up some cap space and then needs to be gone next year.

My whole problem with this is that it's a flawed logic. The last time a team has drafted a QB late in the draft for that player to turn into a successful starter was Tom Brady in 2000. There have been over 150 quarterbacks drafted since then... you can't simply assume you can take a QB in the late round and develop that player into a starter.

The Jets are going to have a very tough decision to make this offseason, and it's one I believe is mainly turning off potential GM candidates with the Jets. Do you go into 2013 and essentially "stick" with Sanchez (have him compete with a lesser talent) --- if he tanks, draft the best QB available in 2014 if he sails, move forward --- or do you draft/sign a QB with no guarantee of seeing better results? The roster is talent depleted, so using a first on a QB may a big mistake in a "weak" class.

I've said it before I'd rather the Jets just go out and take a QB now, but it's still a huge risk and that choice would be entirely on the new GM. Your not sure what QBs will be available in round 2, so you can't "expect" to land one that you like... depending on what happens in round 1, there could be up to 5 QBs looking for QBs in round 2 that draft ahead of the Jets.

As much as it could end up being a wasted draft pick, my ideal scenario would be trade down in first round, pick up some picks, then trade up in round 2 if a QB you is there. If not, keep going about business in the draft and go with the best players available. If you do land the QB, hold an open competition and start the best QB regardless of situation --- media, fans, etc; the decision should be made by who's ready and who's not.

Taking a guy like Zac Dysert in the second is a bit different than trying to get the next Brady or Romo. I want us to try to find our Colin Kaepernick or Russell Wilson.

In the mock drafts I have seen recently, Dysert has gone as early as the 33rd pick. If we really wanted to snatch him or another QB before the Jaguars pick, I think we can probably make a trade with the 49ers for pick 32. In 2011, the 49ers traded up a few picks to get their guy (Kaepernick) and we might have to do the same.

#TeamManfred
Rich51

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:

Taking a guy like Zac Dysert in the second is a bit different than trying to get the next Brady or Romo. I want us to try to find our Colin Kaepernick or Russell Wilson.

In the mock drafts I have seen recently, Dysert has gone as early as the 33rd pick. If we really wanted to snatch him or another QB before the Jaguars pick, I think we can probably make a trade with the 49ers for pick 32. In 2011, the 49ers traded up a few picks to get their guy (Kaepernick) and we might have to do the same.

and lose a draft pick. i sure hope we don't do that, we need those low cost players that can play on special teams

Isn't taking a guy in the second round that you draft up for, a lot like looking for the next Wilson or Kaepernick. I'd rather wait until the sixth and get the next Brady. Also if it doesn't work out, it was only a 6th rounder and there is always next year. I'd rather use the 2nd for an OLB, OT, OG, FS, SS, WR, RB, or TE
green24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich51 wrote:
green24 wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:

and lose a draft pick. i sure hope we don't do that, we need those low cost players that can play on special teams

Isn't taking a guy in the second round that you draft up for, a lot like looking for the next Wilson or Kaepernick. I'd rather wait until the sixth and get the next Brady. Also if it doesn't work out, it was only a 6th rounder and there is always next year. I'd rather use the 2nd for an OLB, OT, OG, FS, SS, WR, RB, or TE

I'm not saying to trade away our entire draft. We traded up for Stephen Hill in the second round this year.

#TeamManfred
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:

The problem with taking a QB this year, is the chance that Rex Ryan is a lame duck coach is high. If he's axed at the end of 2013 and a new coaching staff comes in, they're going to want their own QB and will have a higher talent pool to choose from. Chances are, whoever's taken this year won't see the field and won't be worth the pick [whether it be 2nd or 3rd round or whatever]

Now, obviously you can't go into the draft looking this far ahead, but the chances of a later round rookie pulling a Russell Wilson is so small it's not even funny.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
quietjetsket wrote:

We can win 9 games with no passing game, a middle of the road defense, and no running game? With a coach who knows his time is up? If we win 9 games next season, I will eat all the crow in the world, but that is extremely, extremely, wishful thinking.
Our D has the talent to be elite and we won 9+ games two years in a row with rookie and 2nd year Sanchez...it's not impossible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Rich51 wrote:
green24 wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:

I'm not saying to trade away our entire draft. We traded up for Stephen Hill in the second round this year.

That was imo a mistake, especially since there were so many good wr prospects still on the board.

More importantly we lost our 5th and one of our 7ths. We could have gotten a couple of special team players that might have developed.
Italian49erFan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
glenearl18 wrote:
Geno Smith is not an NFL QB.

Just want to note I heard a lotta people say this about RG3 before as well and Cam Newton, both of them are not doing that bad at the NFL level. Geno does not have the same talents running the ball but on game film he does place the ball well, doesnt turn it over most of the time and is able to move in the pocket. To me with the right coaching he is an NFL QB ...

in your opinion who in this draft is a franchise NFL QB?

Pardon my intromission, but since Alex Smith could eventually end up here in the Big Apple and given that he is still a player I respect and like a lot, I feel like I have a bit of right.

This said I totally agree with the previous post...just before the draft people had doubts about Cam Newton, RGIII, Russell Wilson was considered CFL material, years back people passed on Tom Brady...in the while Jamarcus Russell was HOF bound for everyone and Akili Smith and Tim Couch and Ryan leaf were all the second coming of Johnny-U.

What I feel about Geno Smith is that he might not be ready to carry on his shoulder all the pressure that playing in NY puts, that is why maybe a polished veteran could be better option...considering the harsh times he has passed in SF and considering his IQ and his values as a person, Alex Smith could be the right choice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: