Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How do we fix our QB Situation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
teamorange


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 13098
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
how do we know what Geno will amount to, I mean if we could see into the future then I understand the concern but this kid has it all and just needs a few tweaks to his game


LOL seriously? Has it all? He beat up bad competition and was mediocre againts good competition. He plays in a spread offense that completely inflates a QBs statistics and has one of the slowest deliveries in this years class. Theres not one thing about him that stands out. Let KC take him and have him struggle.


His delivery isn't terrible. I mean he doesn't have a lightning quick Rodgers delivery but it's pretty average for a QB that is coming into the NFL. His biggest problem is he seems to rocket it in there some times on short passes.
_________________
quietjetsket wrote:
skrILL wrote:

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Colt45fool


Joined: 28 Jul 2008
Posts: 5764
Location: New Haven, CT
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Mehta, we're targeting David Lee (Bills) for QB coach....so that's one way we're attempting to improve the position

Quote:
Rex Ryan, who has had seemingly daily defections on his coaching staff, is targeting David Lee to replace the fired Matt Cavanaugh as the Jetsí next quarterbacks coach, the Daily News has learned. Ryan interviewed Lee for the same position a year ago before the quarterbacks guru signed with the Bills. Now, Ryan wants another crack at landing Lee, according to sources.


http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-add-lee-qbs-coach-article-1.1238812
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
teamorange


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 13098
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt45fool wrote:
According to Mehta, we're targeting David Lee (Bills) for QB coach....so that's one way we're attempting to improve the position

Quote:
Rex Ryan, who has had seemingly daily defections on his coaching staff, is targeting David Lee to replace the fired Matt Cavanaugh as the Jetsí next quarterbacks coach, the Daily News has learned. Ryan interviewed Lee for the same position a year ago before the quarterbacks guru signed with the Bills. Now, Ryan wants another crack at landing Lee, according to sources.


http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-add-lee-qbs-coach-article-1.1238812


Not sure if you are being sarcastic but I'll provide a little background on Lee. He was one of the biggest early contributors to developing and discovering Tony Romo in Dallas. He is well liked by many big name NFL coaches such as Parcells who brought him into Miami to work on their QBs. He also made Henne into a serviceable NFL QB and created the wildcat into a viable NFL set up.
_________________
quietjetsket wrote:
skrILL wrote:

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
barnaby8787


Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Posts: 4193
Location: Manhattan, NY
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have been nice to have Wilson right now....anybody else remember the "Russell Bradway" story?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jetskid007


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 7943
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
Would have been nice to have Wilson right now....anybody else remember the "Russell Bradway" story?


It's a shame... he wouldn't have done any of this with the Jets but they would've realized how talented the guy is as soon as he stepped on the field. We'd actually be in OK shape next year with a good coordinator Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JMG


Joined: 23 Dec 2012
Posts: 3143
Location: Columbia
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
Would have been nice to have Wilson right now....anybody else remember the "Russell Bradway" story?


It's a shame... he wouldn't have done any of this with the Jets but they would've realized how talented the guy is as soon as he stepped on the field. We'd actually be in OK shape next year with a good coordinator Crying or Very sad
Seattle has the backfield we dream of.
Lynch>Greene
Turbin>Powell
Washington>McKnight
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47585
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
Would have been nice to have Wilson right now....anybody else remember the "Russell Bradway" story?


It's a shame... he wouldn't have done any of this with the Jets but they would've realized how talented the guy is as soon as he stepped on the field. We'd actually be in OK shape next year with a good coordinator Crying or Very sad
Seattle has the backfield we dream of.
Lynch>Greene
Turbin>Powell
Washington>McKnight

I was in love with Turbin prior to the draft. He was even my avy.
_________________


#TeamManfred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JMG


Joined: 23 Dec 2012
Posts: 3143
Location: Columbia
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
Would have been nice to have Wilson right now....anybody else remember the "Russell Bradway" story?


It's a shame... he wouldn't have done any of this with the Jets but they would've realized how talented the guy is as soon as he stepped on the field. We'd actually be in OK shape next year with a good coordinator Crying or Very sad
Seattle has the backfield we dream of.
Lynch>Greene
Turbin>Powell
Washington>McKnight

I was in love with Turbin prior to the draft. He was even my avy.
Definitely a very promising player.


BTW, green24, did you see my post in the "Skiing" thread in TAST? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Colt45fool


Joined: 28 Jul 2008
Posts: 5764
Location: New Haven, CT
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
Colt45fool wrote:
According to Mehta, we're targeting David Lee (Bills) for QB coach....so that's one way we're attempting to improve the position

Quote:
Rex Ryan, who has had seemingly daily defections on his coaching staff, is targeting David Lee to replace the fired Matt Cavanaugh as the Jetsí next quarterbacks coach, the Daily News has learned. Ryan interviewed Lee for the same position a year ago before the quarterbacks guru signed with the Bills. Now, Ryan wants another crack at landing Lee, according to sources.


http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-add-lee-qbs-coach-article-1.1238812


Not sure if you are being sarcastic but I'll provide a little background on Lee. He was one of the biggest early contributors to developing and discovering Tony Romo in Dallas. He is well liked by many big name NFL coaches such as Parcells who brought him into Miami to work on their QBs. He also made Henne into a serviceable NFL QB and created the wildcat into a viable NFL set up.
I'd love for you to point out where I was being sarcastic. I was pointing out the news...which is 100% on topic to fixing the position Neutral
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
GangGreen420


Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 2652
Location: FL
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd maybe take a chance on Geno if he's there at 9. No way would I endorse a trade up though. I really hope we don't reach on a QB though. Best Player Available should definitely be our pick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KBS756


Joined: 01 Oct 2005
Posts: 5668
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our only reasonable course of action is to

1. Cut Lose Tebow ... he's obviously not the answer year and we didn't do anything this year with him other than insult him.

2. Manage to reduce the impact of Sanchez's contract either by persuading him to restructure in a way his Salary can be moved elsewhere or by seeing if he will risk not making those millions and take a cut for the good of the team.

3. Find and sign an OC who has some background in developing players specifically QB's and has a creative attacking style of playcalling. Someone like Hue Jackson I would hope.

4. Find a Veteran QB who wants to come in and compete for a starting Job. Stress on one who takes care of the football and hopefully has decent starting experience. My vote here is on Jason Campbell (Think he's reasonably good at taking care of the football and if we were to land Hue Jackson he's been in the system before).

5. In the draft DO NOT reach for a Barkley, Wilson, Smith unless you truly believe the guy is your man. Draft Best Player Available and hopefully resolve some of the needs on offense around the QB. Teams that are successful offensively BUILD AROUND THE QB POSITION. If we dont surround our QB with a good situation whoever comes in will have difficulty, but if we surround the QB with the weapons and protection he needs, even if the first option fails we have some hope that the next guy can do something with it. VS putting a rookie into trial by fire in a situation that will in all likely hood Break them and their confidence. We probably need to land a Solid Guard and an all around HB in this draft ... if we were to lose Keller, which could happen with him asking for some real $$$ add a TE to that list as well.

- In terms of drafting a QB I believe we should only touch one in the first 3 rounds if he is the No 1 guy left on our board. I am not wow'd by anyone in this QB class and would if possible like to draft someone who has the physical tools but drops because of some issue that is coachable in the later rounds at earliest 3rd round and let them sit behind a Veteran and learn before being placed into the fire. If you look at some QBs like Kaepernick now he definitely benefited from being allowed to learn from the bench. Not really sure who this QB would be, but to me it does look like EJ Manuel has all the physical tools but does need to be coached up. So someone like him I guess.

6. Strategically target any remaining needs within free agent class (obviously not any top dollar guys)

Given Revis's return hopefully to old form next year. + hopefully the right off season pick ups there is no reason this team cannot show a marked improvement the next year. And I do believe Rex is a good enough coach for that to happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rich51


Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1043
Location: WPB Fl via Jc NJ
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
Our only reasonable course of action is to

1. Cut Lose Tebow ... he's obviously not the answer year and we didn't do anything this year with him other than insult him.

2. Manage to reduce the impact of Sanchez's contract either by persuading him to restructure in a way his Salary can be moved elsewhere or by seeing if he will risk not making those millions and take a cut for the good of the team.

3. Find and sign an OC who has some background in developing players specifically QB's and has a creative attacking style of playcalling. Someone like Hue Jackson I would hope.

4. Find a Veteran QB who wants to come in and compete for a starting Job. Stress on one who takes care of the football and hopefully has decent starting experience. My vote here is on Jason Campbell (Think he's reasonably good at taking care of the football and if we were to land Hue Jackson he's been in the system before).

5. In the draft DO NOT reach for a Barkley, Wilson, Smith unless you truly believe the guy is your man. Draft Best Player Available and hopefully resolve some of the needs on offense around the QB. Teams that are successful offensively BUILD AROUND THE QB POSITION. If we dont surround our QB with a good situation whoever comes in will have difficulty, but if we surround the QB with the weapons and protection he needs, even if the first option fails we have some hope that the next guy can do something with it. VS putting a rookie into trial by fire in a situation that will in all likely hood Break them and their confidence. We probably need to land a Solid Guard and an all around HB in this draft ... if we were to lose Keller, which could happen with him asking for some real $$$ add a TE to that list as well.

- In terms of drafting a QB I believe we should only touch one in the first 3 rounds if he is the No 1 guy left on our board. I am not wow'd by anyone in this QB class and would if possible like to draft someone who has the physical tools but drops because of some issue that is coachable in the later rounds at earliest 3rd round and let them sit behind a Veteran and learn before being placed into the fire. If you look at some QBs like Kaepernick now he definitely benefited from being allowed to learn from the bench. Not really sure who this QB would be, but to me it does look like EJ Manuel has all the physical tools but does need to be coached up. So someone like him I guess.

6. Strategically target any remaining needs within free agent class (obviously not any top dollar guys)

Given Revis's return hopefully to old form next year. + hopefully the right off season pick ups there is no reason this team cannot show a marked improvement the next year. And I do believe Rex is a good enough coach for that to happen.


1 - i generally agree to cut Tebow but what if he was willing to switch positions and become a HB or FB. We know from his past that he can run, he's big and strong. also if we show we're planning to keep him, maybe Jacksonville will take him in a trade

2 - Nice try but i seriously doubt Sanchez will take less money when he don't have to. Maybe a swap with Seattle for Flynn but i think Seattle would want draft choices and that's something we should not do

3 - Hopefully it was happen... eventuallly

4 - I don't want another vet that couldn't make it somewhere else or an unproven second stringer (except maybe Stanton but we already had him).

5- I agree. I think most of the "favorites" are flawed. I wouldn't mind taking Manuel in the third otherwise I'd rather take someone in the 5 or 6th that might surprise. Two guys i'm thinking are Colby Cameron and Seth Doege.

6 - If we can free some cap money we should look at some of those four year vets that never really had a chance but managed to stick on special teams and in a backup roll.

Down here in West Palm, i heard commercial on sports radio for one of their personalities. He said something like - there are only eight QB that are special and don't need help, the other 24 do. Give Sanchez some help and see what he can do. . Our goal this off season should be to get that help (Oline,WR,RB,TE) for whoever our QB is next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rockice_8


Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 2306
Location: Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No No NO, the people calling for Sanchez to play again are crazy. The guy is mentally shot. There is zero chance he will even step on the field again. The fans will crucify him, it's over for him.

Hopefully a good vet like (Smith or Flynn) get cut and if not then bring in Moore. He's a solid QB (but not the future). Bring in a late round guy (Jones, Dysert, Bray, Manuel) and let Moore play early and bring in the rook late in the year or just give him a full year to learn.

Sanchez needs to restructure so we free up some cap space and then needs to be gone next year.
_________________


Props to Mack on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jetskid007


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 7943
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
No No NO, the people calling for Sanchez to play again are crazy. The guy is mentally shot. There is zero chance he will even step on the field again. The fans will crucify him, it's over for him.

Hopefully a good vet like (Smith or Flynn) get cut and if not then bring in Moore. He's a solid QB (but not the future). Bring in a late round guy (Jones, Dysert, Bray, Manuel) and let Moore play early and bring in the rook late in the year or just give him a full year to learn.

Sanchez needs to restructure so we free up some cap space and then needs to be gone next year.



My whole problem with this is that it's a flawed logic. The last time a team has drafted a QB late in the draft for that player to turn into a successful starter was Tom Brady in 2000. There have been over 150 quarterbacks drafted since then... you can't simply assume you can take a QB in the late round and develop that player into a starter.

The Jets are going to have a very tough decision to make this offseason, and it's one I believe is mainly turning off potential GM candidates with the Jets. Do you go into 2013 and essentially "stick" with Sanchez (have him compete with a lesser talent) --- if he tanks, draft the best QB available in 2014 if he sails, move forward --- or do you draft/sign a QB with no guarantee of seeing better results? The roster is talent depleted, so using a first on a QB may a big mistake in a "weak" class.

I've said it before I'd rather the Jets just go out and take a QB now, but it's still a huge risk and that choice would be entirely on the new GM. Your not sure what QBs will be available in round 2, so you can't "expect" to land one that you like... depending on what happens in round 1, there could be up to 5 QBs looking for QBs in round 2 that draft ahead of the Jets.

As much as it could end up being a wasted draft pick, my ideal scenario would be trade down in first round, pick up some picks, then trade up in round 2 if a QB you is there. If not, keep going about business in the draft and go with the best players available. If you do land the QB, hold an open competition and start the best QB regardless of situation --- media, fans, etc; the decision should be made by who's ready and who's not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
quietjetsket


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 3854
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way Jets will pay Sanchez 13m to do nothing. He is healthy and can play for Jets.

Right now, the offense has many flaws. OL blocking, rushing and passing.

Since we can't upgrade all at once, Jets should focus on blocking and rushing area for now. With budget permitted, Jets can focus on only passing area for 2014.

Ryan and company can win 9 games without solid passing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group