Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How do we fix our QB Situation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetskid007

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, hire a QB guru to run the offense.
Second, draft Tyler Wilson and keep Mark Sanchez.

Lets face it, Mark Sanchez's days as a Jet QB are numbered, but if we're paying him so much I don't see why you don't keep him. If the new OC came in and was able to teach this guy how to QB, it could be a lot similar to the situation that San Francisco had with Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick. If not, you can start Wilson. Drafting Wilson and keeping Sanchez makes a lot of sense regardless which way you look at it because if Wilson proves better in TC he'll start, if Sanchez plays better he's the stop-gap, or if Sanchez were to somehow make a career turnaround Wilson's contract would be small and very tradable with the wage scale.

Despite how much Mark Sanchez has disappointed on the field time and time again, I know the guy has talent. Everyone does. His problems all come down to his head. It's almost impossible to fix this guy, but if someone were able you still have a very talented player on your hands. Unfortunately I think we'll end up being a year too late, but if your paying the guy why not try?
green24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:

Lets face it, Mark Sanchez's days as a Jet QB are numbered, but if we're paying him so much I don't see why you don't keep him. If the new OC came in and was able to teach this guy how to QB, it could be a lot similar to the situation that San Francisco had with Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick. If not, you can start Wilson. Drafting Wilson and keeping Sanchez makes a lot of sense regardless which way you look at it because if Wilson proves better in TC he'll start, if Sanchez plays better he's the stop-gap, or if Sanchez were to somehow make a career turnaround Wilson's contract would be small and very tradable with the wage scale.

Despite how much Mark Sanchez has disappointed on the field time and time again, I know the guy has talent. Everyone does. His problems all come down to his head. It's almost impossible to fix this guy, but if someone were able you still have a very talented player on your hands. Unfortunately I think we'll end up being a year too late, but if your paying the guy why not try?

This x100000.

Unless we are getting a Norv Turner, I think we should look at the QB coaches that have helped develop QBs recently. I like what Geep Chryst has done in SF with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest I think Sanchez is too mentally destroyed to ever play for this couching staff again. We should trade him if we can and eat the money this franchise needs some energy and Sanchez just doesn't have the head for it anymore.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind Alex Smith if we did get Norv to be our OC. Smith actually had a pretty solid rookie year under Turner, who was the SF OC at the time, but after he left that's when Smith started going through a different OC every year until last season.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 20 SACK: 1 FF: 1 INT:
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsfandan423 wrote:
I wouldn't mind Alex Smith if we did get Norv to be our OC. Smith actually had a pretty solid rookie year under Turner, who was the SF OC at the time, but after he left that's when Smith started going through a different OC every year until last season.

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but didn't Smith have a 1:11 TD:INT ratio?
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but didn't Smith have a 1:11 TD:INT ratio?

Lol, perhaps it wasn't his rookie season then. I need to double check. His stats weren't amazing I remember, but he seems to be playing really well and then after Norv left is when his play kinda dropped off.

EDIT:

Yeah, Norv had Smith for the 06 season, which his stats don't jump out at you, but it was his second offense in 2 years and he was making strides before Norv left to become the Chargers HC.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 20 SACK: 1 FF: 1 INT:
jpt331

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like to see us sign Matt Moore or Matt Lienert to either push sanchez or tutor a rookie even though I really dont like this yeara QB class, id rather build up our skill positions and Line then look to get our Franchise guy next Year

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: New QB Reply with quote

We need to clean house starting with a new GM. Sanchez and Tebow has to go. Hiring Tony Sparano to justify wasting draft picks on Tim Tebow was a joke in the first place. Maybe we can entice Mike Holmgrem to take over as GM. Maybe we can trade Mark Sanchez for Matt Flynn. Go into camp with Flynn, McElroy and a draft prospect to compete. I see no franchise QBs available in the draft. Better to upgrade the OL and hope a diamond in the rough appears in the draft.

Props to Sandwich for Sig

Idzik: SPEND BABY SPEND!!!!
RDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be the one to say this but no one should be comparing geno smith to Robert griffin or cam newton. Just because he's a black quarterback doesn't mean you need to compare him to one. Geno is no where near the same as both those quarterbacks athleticism. In fact geno is a spread offense quarterback with the ability to run. Unless we have a huge overhaul and changing of players, there's no way we can turn this into a spread offense. Spread offenses in college score alot of points and against slower opponents, those quarterbacks pad their stats big time. Unless we change our offense and get faster on offense, then geno smith is not an option. We have no proof to say that he won't be good in the nfl, but with our personnel it would be easiest to draft a mike Glennon, Tyler bray, Tyler Wilson, then take a late flyer on someone like dysert or nassib. Competition is needed.
rampantjet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly would be fine with signing Matt Moore. I am not saying he is a great NFL quaterback, but i also think he doesn't get some of the credit he deserves. He has put up some nice numbers while playing on terrible terrible offenses. He seems to have a good attitude, has a live arm that can make all the throws, and knows how to play the position. He isn't going to be the reason a team has a dominant offense, but he also is never going to be the reason an offense is terrible(sanchez).

I was feeling good in our second game against Miami this year with Tannehill at QB, we were confusing him and giving him a hard time. The moment he went out and i saw Moore coming in I thought they might have a chance. He proceeded to play very well against our very good pass D, hanging a 96 QB rating on us, and leading that WRless offense to domnant win. Now i know lots went wrong for us that game and it wasn't all Moore causing our defeat, but he played really well and made some eye opening throws.
JetsFan15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:

This is the most realistic and most likely scenario IMO. Cutting Sanchez would cripple our cap and the likelihood of a trade is not very good given his play this year, contract and frankly the lack of return we would get. Therefore, I, personally, don't see a scenario where Sanchez is NOT on the Jets roster next year.

The other option would be signing vet QB instead of drafting a guy. I like that possibility as well, however, I don't think it has as much upside as what JetsKid lays out above.

Of course this is only contingent on getting a guy like Wilson in the 2nd or 3rd round. I would not want to see us grab a QB in the 1st because I don't think there are any 1st round QBs and we have too many other holes to fill not to get a starter in round 1 and perhaps even round 2. Not sure what round Wilson is slated ... did see some have him ranked as 3rd QB overall but that can easily change pre-draft one way or the other.
Malik

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather kill cap for a single year than try to ween it off for several seasons.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Lombardi, he has been the Saints QB coach the last 4 seasons, been a offensive assistant coach for the saints 2 seasons before that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: qb issue Reply with quote

Look, with or without no.6 we are a bad team in 2013. So, plan for 2014. Cut 6 and eat the 17 cap hit. Cut all the aging veterans..they wont help us get better in 2 years. RIP OFF THE BANDAID= 1 year.

Then, build for the future!! New GM, New Coach, New QB 2014 -Johnny will be ready to come to New York with his Heisman in hand.

For 2013, just move down in the draft, and pick up 2nd and 3rd rounders for 2014. IF we have to move up in (2014) we will have some 1st and 2nd's and 3rd's to offer. We will have a healthy 24 to trade if needed.

Pick up Moore for 2013, and draft a project zac dysert or EJ Manuel in the 4th round. In the early rounds, draft O-Line Men...Offense, Offense, Offense..to keep johny M..upright in 2014..DONE
BBIB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How do we fix our QB Situation? Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:

-Sign Matt Moore. Other QB's will be out there; Campbell, A. Smith, Flynn, even rumors of Fitzpatrick. We need a cheap option.

How would you fix the QB situation?

Just look at those names? Do people hate what Vick did off the field that much that they are still not over it?

He's decisively more talented and proven than all of those guys combined

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: