Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DEE RAWL's XMAS MOCK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: DEE RAWL's XMAS MOCK Reply with quote

My latest mock included CJ Mosley who will not be entereing the draft so I had to create an update sooner than I wanted to, but its always fun. Before you judge, read all the way til the end Wink

Key Resignings

Steven Jackson

Danny Amendola

2013 NFL DRAFT

1a) Jake Matthews, OT, Texas ATM

A versatile Tackle who can play Left or Right and do it well. Better Pass protector than run blocker IMO, but will be a nice upgrade from the current situation.

1b) Eric Reid, S, LSU

I am not a big fan of Reid especially in the first, but he does do a lot of things well. He has a lot of range combining his speed, long body and arms and his angles. He however is not really a ballhawk or special in coverage, but he is dynamic and is a big upgrade to either Dahl or Mikell.

2) Larry Warford, G, Kentucky

I think Warford is special and only a slight downgrade to Warmack IMO. He is even more athletic and better in space than Warmack. With the additions of Matthews and Warford the OL should be massively improved and give SJAX more room to run and Sammy more time to pick apart defenses.

3) Ryan Otten, TE, San Jose St

Also, like Warford, Otten is just a small downgrade from Eifert and provides great value in the 3rd. He is actually a pretty good blocker and can be a weapon for Sam.

4) Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU

Aww yeaaa... This would "complete" the secondary and give us one of the scariest secondaries in the NFL. Full of speed and physicality which will be much needed in the NFC West which is becoming one of the best divisions in football (apart from the Cards..)

5) Cameron Lawrence, LB, Miss St

A very underrated player as Cameron does a lot of things well and is one of the better linebackers in the best conference in college football. Good instincts with athleticism.

6) Josh Boyce, WR, TCU

What??.. You leave WR for the 6th?? Well, you will see in a second but no I don't think Boyce (5'11" 200) is the #1 WR we've been looking for. However, Gibson has been improving and with Givens and Quick still young and room to grow within the offense (especially Quick) and Pettis starting to become a factor... I think we can afford to upgrade other needs. Although let me be the first to say I would love a WR in the first. But hold on everyone.. it gets better...

7) Cameron Meredith, DE, Nebraska

There is no way a DL isn't taken somewhere in the draft. Meredith isn't a pass rusher, but has a good motor and can improve with coaching. Plus I love that he looks like he arrived in a Delorean...

Keep Scrolling...

2014 NFL DRAFT

There you go angry WR fans, heres your Xmas surprise... even though you have to wait another 18 months to open it Wink

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
I <3 Faulk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Mathews as the first pick, decided to stop reading and immediately judge you Laughing

Serious though, I am kinda torn as to what the Rams will do at WR. If we can grab Wallace I will be happy, but I fear they will become content with what we have. Thinking Givens will become a Wallace type of guy, then having Quick and Amendola. If Givens does turn into a Wallace type of receiver, and we draft Allen, Williams, or even Lee next year, then will Quick ever have a shot? Will the coaching staff draft a receiver to essentially block Quick or Givens? Do they wait until the 2014 draft to grab a receiver early, so they have more time to decide on Quick?

Givens will have a role on this team even if we draft Williams, and sign Wallace. I believe Givens can be effective in any role, or atleast will be able to if he continues to develop. I am not sure how much of an impact Quick can make as a #4 receiver.

Also, on the draft, I like it. I do have Warmack a lot higher than Warford, but if Warmack isn't there I have no problem with the pick. I do like Reid I think... Seems like I cannot decide on the guy. Mathews is a great pick. Would rather have Fauria than Otten, and not sure that TE is that big of a need to spend a 3rd on it.

Nobody can stretch a page into oblivion like I can
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like it. Eric Reid in the 1st is enough to leave me underwhelmed but not addressing the WR position just doesn't make me happy. Boyce is a talented kid but we need to go WR much earlier and if we're going to wait that long, at least draft a really talented kid with a ton of upside. Not really feeling Boyce as that guy.(then again, he could surprise)

As for Marqise Lee, I always say and will continue to always say that it's stupid to not make a move because you think there might be a better guy next year.

For all we know, Lee could destroy his knee like Lattimore did(a lot of people wanted us to wait for Lattimore to draft a WR)...or better yet...if Lee is as good as he's made out to be, he'll be drafted long before the Rams have a shot at him.

It's bad planning and always a mistake.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Memphis Ram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: DEE RAWL's XMAS MOCK Reply with quote

Love the Matthews selection, but I'm having doubts that he'll declare. And if he does, the Rams might have to trade up for his services.

IMO, Eric Reid would be a horrible selection in the 1st round. The Rams could find a non-ballhawk/coverage guy later. Especially, in such a deep draft at the position.

I disagree about Warford being more athletic and better in space than Warmack. He's a big slower kid who has played RG in college and needs to stay there in the Pros. Not a LG.

Rams want a receiving TE / average to below average blocker that can get in on a few packages? Those guys are a dime a dozen. Got one in McNeil already on the roster. Rams should use Kendricks more in the passing game and find a better blocking/receiving option as the inline guy to replace Mulligan.

Mathieu is the last player I'd want on this team. Janoris Jenkins doesn't need anyone on the roster that might cause him to screw up.

Don't know much about the rest, but outside of the Matthews selection, this would be a very disappointing draft for me. A Linehan special.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Reid in the first isn't my favorite either, I would much rather have Keenan Allen, Terrance Williams or Justin Hunter (could even throw in Robert Woods too). However, I'm just thinking of the receiving core and who gets the shaft?... Even assuming Gibson is the one, then that leaves Quick out of the picture. I just think Fisher kind of threw us all a curve ball in the first round this last draft and it could easily be the same this year. I put Reid there not because I love him as a prospect (actually quite the opposite), but more because I think its a real possibility.

The reason for the Lee in 2014 wasn't so much as "planning" for him to be there as it was kind of a fun idea to play with. Not so much serious, as much as I would love it to be a reality. Who knows where he will be in 2014... He could be top 5 and he could go late in the first (he does have mental lapses, drops and isn't the biggest guy at 6'1" 195). Also it is very possible the Redskins aren't as successful next season. There are a lot of variables that make my listing him as next years pick anything, but serious. It is really more about our current roster and the receivers being the reason for passing on a day 1/2 WR a possibility.

Otten is far more than just an average TE who can get in a few packages... He is a much better TE than mulligan and quite possibly Kendricks. I love Kendricks and don't want him to go anywhere, but you need more than one guy and Otten offers a lot more versatility.

Warford is more athletic than Warmack that is a fact. Now that does not make him a better player, I am simply saying that Warford presents tons of value as he is not all that much worse of a prospect than Warmack. Keep in mind Warford absolutely shut down one of the best DTs in the nation in Sheldon Richardson and also played with the best and most physical DLs in the SEC. Yes he played RG in college, but he is more than capable of playing LG and can do it well. I hate that arguement in regards to evaluating players. DL & OL generally speaking (especially high caliber ones such as Warford probably played every position on the front at some point in their football careers). Now am I saying he should play LT? No... But the adjustment from RG to LG is minor. I really love Warford as a prospect, I love his fire, attitude and athleticism. Not to mention he moves people, maybe not quite like Warmack, but he does a fine job in his own rights.

Mathieu's influence on Jenkins is a minor concern. I realize Mathieu's mary jane issues are more than just smoking it, but trust me... the majority of these guys smoke. We aren't playing with the 4 pillars anymore. Would you rather have Dahl who gets toasted on the field? Or the Honey Badger who gets toasted off the field Wink. For me the answer is simple.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Warford is more athletic than Warmack that is a fact. Now that does not make him a better player, I am simply saying that Warford presents tons of value as he is not all that much worse of a prospect than Warmack. Keep in mind Warford absolutely shut down one of the best DTs in the nation in Sheldon Richardson and also played with the best and most physical DLs in the SEC. Yes he played RG in college, but he is more than capable of playing LG and can do it well. I hate that arguement in regards to evaluating players. DL & OL generally speaking (especially high caliber ones such as Warford probably played every position on the front at some point in their football careers). Now am I saying he should play LT? No... But the adjustment from RG to LG is minor. I really love Warford as a prospect, I love his fire, attitude and athleticism. Not to mention he moves people, maybe not quite like Warmack, but he does a fine job in his own rights.

No, it's not. It's an opinion.

DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare game film (not saying you havent already) and try and tell me Warmack is more athletic...

Warmack when he pulls is almost stumbling and is a liability going up against a LB or Safety in space whether it be a screen or whatever. Changing direction is anything but his strength. Warford is very light and nimble on his feet. Has very good agility for a man of his size. Surely you can see the same thing. This wouldnt be something i would lie about... As I would love either player in the horns.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Compare game film (not saying you havent already) and try and tell me Warmack is more athletic...

Warmack when he pulls is almost stumbling and is a liability going up against a LB or Safety in space whether it be a screen or whatever. Changing direction is anything but his strength. Warford is very light and nimble on his feet. Has very good agility for a man of his size. Surely you can see the same thing. This wouldnt be something i would lie about... As I would love either player in the horns.

I don't agree. Neither look particularly nimble when pulling. However, I think Warmack shows better burst to the 2nd level.

Both are powerful maulers. Warmack is the better player and has played LG his entire career. But I wouldn't be a bit upset if we drafted Warford.

Especially if Rok becomes a factor. Having Rok and Warford/Warmack would give us two massive, powerful guards.

DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither are going to be phenominally athletic or fast they are big hogs. But I firmly believe that Warford offers more in that department especially with change of direction and balance. But like I said they are both from the same mold and would love either one.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
Memphis Ram

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see what you see in Warford. IMO, Paul Boudreau would look at him and instantly state that he's a RG just like he did with Rokevioius Watkins this offseason. And quite frankly, I question if he's that much better, if at all, than Watkins.

Using a 3rd round pick on Otten is a waste, IMO. Look at the offense being run. The have a move guy (Kendricks) and a base inline blocker type (Mulligan, Harkey). Kendricks isn't going anywhere and Otten doesn't look like a good fit as a base inline blocker able to take on DEs.

Not only that, but the team's best weapon plays best in 3 WR sets in the slot (Amendola). Those sets don't typically have both TEs on the field. IMO, for such a selection to make any sense, that player would have to be VASTLY better than AND replace Kendricks OR be a far better matchup problem than a 3rd WR which shouldn't be the case after this offseason.

AND the free agency market shouldn't have a glutton of TEs available if the Rams wanted to go that route (Jared Cook, Martellus Bennett, Jermichal Finley, Fred Davis, Dustin Keller, etc. etc.).

3rd round pick on Otten? Unless Kendricks goes down, the inline blocker would probably get more snaps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: