Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread v2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byzr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
It's 20..........

"So we asked NFL Network to explain the process, and to confirm that players indeed cast ballots for the list.

Ideally, all players would do it. This year, the league says only 481 of them actually did. Thatís 28.3 percent of all active players.

ďAll players are given the opportunity to vote through ballots we send to all 32 teams around Thanksgiving,Ē NFL Network spokesman Alex Riethmiller told PFT via email. ďFor convenience sake, we try to time it with Pro Bowl balloting, so they can do them together. In addition to ballots collected that way, we also give ballots to many of the players that we interview for our shows. This year, in total, we received 481 votes.Ē

To vote, each player lists only his top 20 players in the league. The player listed at No. 1 gets 20 points, the player listed at No. 2 gets 19 points, and the process continues until the player listed at No. 20 gets one point.

So itís really not a ďtop 100″ list. Itís the 100 players who received the highest vote totals from players who attempted to list their personal top 20, presumably without the benefit of all 32 rosters or starting lineups or Pro Bowl qualifiers or anything else that would ensure they arenít accidentally overlooking someone as they pull 20 names out of thin air."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/05/inside-the-top-100-voting-process/

Though the paper they hold certainly looks like over 20 lines, it may be for sure for TV so that doesn't get out widespread.

had not read that.

how would you do it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byzr wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
It's 20..........

"So we asked NFL Network to explain the process, and to confirm that players indeed cast ballots for the list.

Ideally, all players would do it. This year, the league says only 481 of them actually did. Thatís 28.3 percent of all active players.

ďAll players are given the opportunity to vote through ballots we send to all 32 teams around Thanksgiving,Ē NFL Network spokesman Alex Riethmiller told PFT via email. ďFor convenience sake, we try to time it with Pro Bowl balloting, so they can do them together. In addition to ballots collected that way, we also give ballots to many of the players that we interview for our shows. This year, in total, we received 481 votes.Ē

To vote, each player lists only his top 20 players in the league. The player listed at No. 1 gets 20 points, the player listed at No. 2 gets 19 points, and the process continues until the player listed at No. 20 gets one point.

So itís really not a ďtop 100″ list. Itís the 100 players who received the highest vote totals from players who attempted to list their personal top 20, presumably without the benefit of all 32 rosters or starting lineups or Pro Bowl qualifiers or anything else that would ensure they arenít accidentally overlooking someone as they pull 20 names out of thin air."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/05/inside-the-top-100-voting-process/

Though the paper they hold certainly looks like over 20 lines, it may be for sure for TV so that doesn't get out widespread.

had not read that.

how would you do it?

I don't think you can get hundreds of players motivated enough to give you anything worth a crap.

I guess what might be accurate is if they ranked their top 10 at their position.

In a perfect world, I'd want it to be guys in the NFL that aren't played. Personnel guys, coaches, GMs.

But I understand why they wouldn't want to lol

To test the theory though I'll probably need 50+ grand at least for equipment
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byzr wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
Pugger wrote:
I think it was a real knee slapper that Rodgers in #11 in the 2014 100 top players list. Confused

So you think Aaron's 8 game season is better than, say, Peyton Manning's record breaking 16 game season or Brady's 16 game season?

The rankings are dumb but Aaron's position outside the top 10 is fair IMO.

If they were ranking the 2013 season, that argument would make sense. It's a prediction of how they think the 2014 season will play out if we're judging off of the title.

No, it's an evaluation of 2013-2014 season, so they call it the 2014 Top 100 in reference to the season that ended in 2014 rather than the one that began in 2014.

Sort of convoluted.

It's supposed to be both based on something they Tweeted a few weeks ago.

The issue is I believe they only have players rate the top 20. Which makes no sense. It's also rushed, biased VOTE MY BUDDY trash.

The idea wasn't completely terrible on it's face, but the application of it is hilarious.

i've seen the cards they write on and i believe it's got a 100 lines on it. i like that it's only the players that make the list. no fans, coaches, or media guys who might be biased. of course players pick themselves and guys on their team but i don't there is any better to judge other players around the league than the players themselves.

i love the NFL network i could watch it 24 hours a day with the exception of watching the NFL AM over and over again. i remember thinking it wouldn't last because they wouldn't have enough programming but they do some great stuff.

Yeah, I disagree with this. The players are likely the worst judges of talent. They play the game, but that doesn't equate to judging talent adequately. How many players have gone on to be great coaches? Very few. GMs? Even fewer--guys like Thompson and Newsome are great in their own right, but they found success decades after their time was up.

The bias is also problematic in my opinion. You have to acknowledge the fact that certain players will have different emotions when compiling a list. I would if I were in their shoes.
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:

The bias is also problematic in my opinion. You have to acknowledge the fact that certain players will have different emotions when compiling a list. I would if I were in their shoes.

Yeah...Bears players probably feel that Aaron gets lucky every time he plays us. San Fran players have earned the right, temporarily, to disrespect Aaron. Buffalo's players play for Buffalo and no one remembers to send them ballots.

I just appreciate it when Aaron gets disrespected. Disrespect to Aaron is like spinach to Popeye.
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byzr wrote:
Pugger wrote:
I think it was a real knee slapper that Rodgers in #11 in the 2014 100 top players list. Confused

yeah i think if anything he may have been overrated. it's a ranking on the best players of 2013 not best in the league but from that year. he had a great year no doubt but he missed half the season. Manning will be #1 since he had a phenomenal season breaking records and just making it look easy.

I don't have an issue with Manning #1 but should a player be punished for getting hurt even if he is his normal wonderful self when he did play? I can understand placing a player down a list like this if his play suffered but this wasn't the case with Rodgers IMO. He still was excellent when he did play. Oh well, as was said - it is a silly list contrived by the NFL Network so they can have something to talk about in the offseason.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Pugger wrote:

So you think Aaron's 8 game season is better than, say, Peyton Manning's record breaking 16 game season or Brady's 16 game season?

The rankings are dumb but Aaron's position outside the top 10 is fair IMO.

Statistically no. But Aaron is a better player than Peyton. That is why he is still #11 despite missing half the season. The problem with basing stuff off of statistics alone is that you can't compare things in a vacuum. The fact of the matter is the Broncos played a cupcake schedule with very few quality defenses. A couple years ago, we played the NFCW and Nelson and Jennings missed big portions of the season and Rodgers still managed 39 TDs and 8 INTs. If you asked actual defensive coaches I bet a lot of them would tell you that Rodgers is a harder guy to game plan for than Brady or Manning.

In regards to Brady. Yes, I would take Rodgers 8 games over Brady's 16 games. Last year was a major down year for Brady. Seriously look up his numbers. Not even close to elite. I realize that he was missing key playmakers but then again, so was Rodgers.

My issue with Manning is that I have NEVER seen him play without an elite WR. Look up the history of Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison. Those guys never missed games. Somehow there is this mantra out there that Peyton Manning has carried teams and has been able to perform with mediocre talent. The bottom line is Harrison and Wayne were All-Pro level players and 1st round picks. D Thomas was another 1st round pick and had a monster game against Pittsburgh in the playoffs a few years ago with Tim Tebow throwing him the ball. That's my knock on Manning. I just don't think he could do what Rodgers has been doing for this team for the last several years.
strat1080

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
byzr wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
It's 20..........

had not read that.

how would you do it?

I don't think you can get hundreds of players motivated enough to give you anything worth a crap.

I guess what might be accurate is if they ranked their top 10 at their position.

In a perfect world, I'd want it to be guys in the NFL that aren't played. Personnel guys, coaches, GMs.

But I understand why they wouldn't want to lol

I agree. I think its a flawed process. I doubt the players do very much research when voting. A lot of the opinion would be on players that they played against that same year. Frankly they don't really have the time to research and analyze their choices. The fact that some of these guys make the list when there are only 20 choices available is silly. If this were a real list of the Top players then frankly only about 30 players would actually make the list. Given that there are only 20 choices available. Frankly the Top 10 QBs in the NFL should be in the Top 15 and then you would have the elite pass rushers and DBs and a few more skills positions. The fact that you can get 100 players out of a list of only 20 tells me this list doesn't mean much at all. The players have such varied opinions that it doesn't mean much.
BlueMoon25

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How this guy isn't rated top 5 let alone the #1 QB is a crime and all the analyst should be thrown in jail. Mad

Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL. THE Bleeping END.
byzr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
byzr wrote:
Pugger wrote:

yeah i think if anything he may have been overrated. it's a ranking on the best players of 2013 not best in the league but from that year. he had a great year no doubt but he missed half the season. Manning will be #1 since he had a phenomenal season breaking records and just making it look easy.

I don't have an issue with Manning #1 but should a player be punished for getting hurt even if he is his normal wonderful self when he did play? I can understand placing a player down a list like this if his play suffered but this wasn't the case with Rodgers IMO. He still was excellent when he did play. Oh well, as was said - it is a silly list contrived by the NFL Network so they can have something to talk about in the offseason.

he's not being punished. just being ranked on his previous years performance. they're obviously ranking guys largely on last years performance and to me that's what makes the most sense for this list. if they did a fantasy draft it'd probably be a pretty different list.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byzr wrote:
Pugger wrote:
byzr wrote:
Pugger wrote:

he's not being punished. just being ranked on his previous years performance. they're obviously ranking guys largely on last years performance and to me that's what makes the most sense for this list. if they did a fantasy draft it'd probably be a pretty different list.

Maybe 'punished' was a poor choice of wording but when Rodgers did play he was just as wonderful as ever - save a little rustiness those last 2 games. Maybe Aaron will use this as another chip on his shoulder? Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
byzr wrote:
Pugger wrote:
byzr wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Maybe 'punished' was a poor choice of wording but when Rodgers did play he was just as wonderful as ever - save a little rustiness those last 2 games. Maybe Aaron will use this as another chip on his shoulder? Wink

Do you honestly believe that the guy really gives a rat's [inappropriate/removed] about NFL Network's Top 100 list? It's the NFL Network we're talking here. We aren't talking about being booed by his own fan base or falling into the 20s in the NFL draft. It's a TV show. Ranked by players.

I think he has enough motivation (winning) to not care about rankings.

Not every little thing will [inappropriate/removed] the guy off.
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Pugger wrote:
byzr wrote:
Pugger wrote:
byzr wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Do you honestly believe that the guy really gives a rat's [inappropriate/removed] about NFL Network's Top 100 list? It's the NFL Network we're talking here. We aren't talking about being booed by his own fan base or falling into the 20s in the NFL draft. It's a TV show. Ranked by players.

Look again at my post and note the wink emoticon I added. I was being facetious.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Pugger wrote:
byzr wrote:
Pugger wrote:
byzr wrote:
Pugger wrote:

I think you're totally underestimating Aaron Rodgers' sensitivity. It's a huge part of what makes him great.. but I have no doubt in my mind Aaron Rodgers has made a mental note of his ranking. The dude called out a beat writer for incorrectly saying he threw a pick in OTA's just a month ago. He also recently passive aggressively sub-tweeted a totally innocuous article about him wearing a "@Aaron_Rodgers12" soccer jersey. That dude cares, I promise you.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
Pugger wrote:
byzr wrote:
Pugger wrote:
byzr wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Look again at my post and note the wink emoticon I added. I was being facetious.

Yeah I guess I have to remember the direction this forum has taken before commenting on anything.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people are blowing the top 100 thing out of proportion. I think we have to look at those annual lists based on last year's performance more than anything else. Aaron was hurt for much of the season and it's safe to say that if he hadn't missed that time he would easily be in the top-10.

Besides, I'd rather go kick Player #5 and Player #7's [inappropriate/removed] with Player #20, Player #45, and Player #75; wouldn't you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 24 of 39

Jump to: